Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

2 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Is it likely in Basingstoke area tomorrow? I look at the CAPE LI charts and it seems to show a pretty permanent state of possibility over the next few days but I am not sure what else to look out for to get a better idea of the likelihood (albeit taking into consideration the notoriously difficult to predict element 🙂 )

I still remain hopeful, but my forecasting skills are very rusty, so I couldn't say for certain. 

• Like 1

Absolutely useless day for storms frankly. Just look the whole of the area from Brighton up towards Wokingham barely been touched.

we just got rain. Plus all the cells so elevated it’s just sheet lightning in the distance.

Chances running out now - started the week with about 6 opportunities and squandered about 4 now.

Really disappointed

Very close to the rapid developments north of London here, with one real boom of thunder just moments ago shaking the bed and myself! Unexpected! 

I can see lightning from the storm near Redditch .

Storms look/sound fantastic for those in the SE - very jealous!

Hoping they can maintain intensity as they track NW 🤞

More and more cells keel popping up everywhere. It's insane. It's definitely moving northwards now. Possibly slight West. Puts me in the path.  

7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Got to wonder whether parts of the SE could be at the risk of serious flooding as the blue echoes on the rainfall radar keep persisting and look to be moving in a conveyer belt across the London area... very impressive night for storms though.

I don't know, it appears to be moving more north now. 

OMG most mental lightnig/storm ive ever seen here in my 48 years! NW London!!  Flashing every second

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Got to wonder whether parts of the SE could be at the risk of serious flooding as the blue echoes on the rainfall radar keep persisting and look to be moving in a conveyer belt across the London area... very impressive night for storms though.

I think there might have been some localised flooding here. Been hearing a lot of fire engines the last hour or so, which is unusual, it’s usually just police sirens.

7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Moving through too quickly to cause any major problems. I had a look at some independent stations under those storms - rain totals nothing spectacular.

12 minutes ago, terryall said:

Well, that was fun for about the last hour! Quite a show for South East London and even now it’s just rolling away into the North East distance with rolling thunder and the odd flash of lightening. 

There's another in Kent on the way to you.

• Like 1

Back home now after chasing a few cells east and west on the A303. Saw a lot of lightning, mainly IC, but some cloud to cloud and CGs as well. Lovely orange colours. Hopefully got some good footage on the gopro!

1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Moving through too quickly to cause any major problems. I had a look at some independent stations under those storms - rain totals nothing spectacular.

Thats a relief 😊, its not often you see the reds and blues persist for so long on the rainfall radar. As spectacular as these storms can be they can also do a lot of damage. Fingers crossed it'll just be the lightning displays being the main headlines.

1 hour ago, tomjwlx said:

Looks like that was a excellent choice!!!!!!! 

@tomjwlx Dear god almighty. Wasn’t it just. The most amazing lightning show I’ve seen in years and it’s still going. Unreal! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Have hardly heard ANY thunder.

Also i’m Confused because it’s still 17° here

Same. 17.7C and 88% humidity...I thought that would make it ripe for a storm. Guess I need to get back to the books.

Lightning in all directions here even thought most isn't getting picked up. 

Wow this has to be one of the best storms I've seen in the home counties for quite some years.

5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yes, rain, although spectacular, has come in fits and starts, as has been said moving through quickly.For a while it looks as though you need a boat as the street becomes a river!

Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Currently in Harpenden, all I can say is WOW!! 

Sums it up for this little part of the world this evening!