Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Yeah the strong cap sustaining even under the high temps.

Lots of CU though. Sky is playing it’s cards very close to it’s chest - really can’t work out what’s going to happen....

Posted
25 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Surfaced based storms could fire at any point up until 8pm but the most significant area of interest is the potentially severe elevated stuff that will form as a result of the destabilisation of the airmass over the channel at some time around 7pm onwards.

There was mention of it moving through quicker than anticipated so I don’t know if this has changed the timings at all. I just don’t know...

Fingers crossed then and I was expecting if anything was to happen would be from 7-8pm onwards. Would be great to get w good nighttime electrical storm! Got plenty to keep me entertained though - got the planes to watch, champions league final and hopefully some storms to boot. My hubby and little boy are with me and my little boy is a little apprehensive over the storms. Think we will have some tears! And from me if this doesn’t work out lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Fingers crossed then and I was expecting if anything was to happen would be from 7-8pm onwards. Would be great to get w good nighttime electrical storm! Got plenty to keep me entertained though - got the planes to watch, champions league final and hopefully some storms to boot. My hubby and little boy are with me and my little boy is a little apprehensive over the storms. Think we will have some tears! And from me if this doesn’t work out lol

What’s the view like there? Have you got means of transport available, or are you staying put?

I imagine good views from there if you know where to be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

I saw a mention of the plume going more north east then anticipated. I don't know if this is the case though. I hope so lol. 

I don't like how dead it is on the radar though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm quite happy with the way things are. I'm not anticipating anything until 6pm >

It look's like Hurn is the warmest place in the country, with 26.3C, according to official obs. I did reach 26.4C myself.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Warm 26c, humid and breezy here, a mixture of Alto cumulus and Alto stratus cloud moving in over head, nothing dramatic yet.

So I've decided to drive to Kimmeridge bay in the Purbecks and get there for about 5-6pm. Find a decent spot and watch the cloud scapes from there.

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

What’s the view like there? Have you got means of transport available, or are you staying put?

I imagine good views from there if you know where to be

@Flash bang flash bang etc We have the car with us but my husband isn’t really into storm spotting like I am (and I can’t drive!) so just hoping something happens here. The views I have attached are from my room in the hotel. Fabulous

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Courtesy of Matt over on UKWW.

Won’t pretend I know how to read these things properly yet - but look how wiggly those lines are.

There’s some proper wet and wiggly weather out there...

BD3A7600-6B88-45A9-BBB5-B10BBB38C8D7.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, R Alto said:

So I've decided to drive to Kimmeridge bay in the Purbecks and get there for about 5-6pm. Find a decent spot and watch the cloud scapes from there.

I'd probably park up at Creech hill - much higher. :D

Plus, you won't have to pay the toll charge.

Posted
1 minute ago, SarahWxm said:

@Flash bang flash bang etc We have the car with us but my husband isn’t really into storm spotting like I am (and I can’t drive!) so just hoping something happens here. The views I have attached are from my room in the hotel. Fabulous

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

What hotel are you at? Love a room with a view!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Met still not on board at all for this region. All other text forecasts are brilliant except this one. Have to come to the conclusion that they’re being overly pessimistic given projected CAPE/instability/TAFs. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I'd probably park up at Creech hill - much higher. :D

Plus, you won't have to pay the toll charge.

Thanks for the tip I'll look it up

Posted
3 minutes ago, R Alto said:

Thanks for the tip I'll look it up

The place where they fly the gliders, good shout

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
11 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

What’s a TAF?

Terminal aerodrome forecast. Airports issue them every 6 hours usually. Generally pretty accurate as you would imagine given pilots use them. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Terminal aerodrome forecast. Airports issue them every 6 hours usually. Generally pretty accurate as you would imagine given pilots use them. 

Ah ok thanks - my guesses were nowhere near that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Car fuelled up, cb radio installed, rain repellant applied to windscreen, gopro charged. Bring on the chase! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Hi does anyone have links or can post latest fax charts that show the potential troughs? Currently at Chieveley services and going to head to sailsbury most likely to await developments! Where are you supacell? I'm a fellow Belper - ite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

That storm in mid France is really starting to head towards the berserk stage now! 

Tonight may be the night that I consider going on a night time chase, my first ever. I just hope I don’t spend a mother load on fuel and for it to be a flop! Areas of interest closest to me would be into Oxfordshire/Bucks possibly into Hampshire. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Just to the south of reading at the mo. All eeriest quiet on radar but you know it will all start to kick off without much warning...

Well I've been reading the posts for some time now...and swotting up. 

You are in my neck of the woods so I take that as a good sign . Will be out for a chase later when I have finished work.

In the meantime, keep up the great posts all - perfect aid for learning more

Edited by Mizzle
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Joey.G said:

Hi does anyone have links or can post latest fax charts that show the potential troughs? Currently at Chieveley services and going to head to sailsbury most likely to await developments! Where are you supacell? I'm a fellow Belper - ite!

Hello fellow Belper-ite, what on earth takes you so far away from home?

I am a little bit behind you, currently near Oxford weighing up the options.