Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Can't really call it bust as there have been some storms in the areas suggested although the activity seems down on what was suggested.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Too many on here throwing the towel in already. Or is it reverse psychology? 

The MO warning was valid from 4pm and we're 1 hour and 20 mins into it. Give it a chance. 

Edited by Karl83
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
2 minutes ago, Karl83 said:

The MO warning was valid from 4pm and we're 1 hour and 20 mins into it. Give it a chance. 

Yellow warning was from 11:00 and Amber later on 16:00 . Anyway can't be wrong here as none were forecast for here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, Karl83 said:

If I were to judge this event purely on rainfall it most certainly wouldn't be a bust, however if we judge it on the basis of thunder and lightning well...

I can't imagine the UK has seen much more then 200 lightning strikes compared to Saturday/Sundays theatrics when it was over 60,000.

Depends on how you define a bust and I think most people on here are following because of the storm potential. However today really wouldn't be out of place with respects to a typical unsettled summers day. Nothing to distinguish this event and place it in the folklore of other thunderstorm events.

And I don't see that changing... but as I said earlier, happy to be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Had some heavy rain and a couple of rumbles just N of Bristol a little earlier. Overcast and humid now.

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Beeb weather saying it's "game over" for the Northwest & Northeast. Storms tracking up across the Midlands and Wales throughout the evening and then re-forming tomorrow afternoon across Ireland & Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Got my eyes on the cells a couple of hours down the M40 before our region gets any ppn (or  more)

plenty of time yet

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

National Rail Enquiries has posted this 

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

Severe weather affecting services across the Midlands until approximately 09:00 on Friday 1 June

The Met Office have issued a weather warning for the Midlands. Severe thunderstorms and torrential downpours are expected. This may lead to flooding in some places, and cause disruption to journeys.

As a result of this, speed restrictions have been imposed on the following routes:

• Banbury - Oxford
  • Birmingham New Street - Bristol Temple Meads

Delays of up to 60 minutes and cancellations can be expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer plumes, thunderstorms

Just stepped out of work and it’s really humid. Few towers going up to my south east through the haze. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Finally I think we have reached the tipping point where enough ingredients are there.. cell sw of Hereford is getting going now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I wouldn't call it a bust till about 10pm even then some areas further north are due some elevated storms I belive.. Then the south baths in the sun this weekend with the north a bit more cloudy and stormy everyone is at least getting a cut of a chance in the action lol! 

How many more weeks will ppl say this sort of stuff and nothing of any interest materialises?

Being serious, it’s relentless - at some point we need to actually see something... surely?

Anyway it’s far from a bust today but even if it doesn’t happen i’m used to the disappointment now so it doesn’t really bother me anymore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

The sun has made an appearance here in Bristol so hopefully this will get things going.

12 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

If I were to judge this event purely on rainfall it most certainly wouldn't be a bust, however if we judge it on the basis of thunder and lightning well...

I can't imagine the UK has seen much more then 200 lightning strikes compared to Saturday/Sundays theatrics when it was over 60,000.

Depends on how you define a bust and I think most people on here are following because of the storm potential. However today really wouldn't be out of place with respects to a typical unsettled summers day. Nothing to distinguish this event and place it in the folklore of other thunderstorm events.

And I don't see that changing... but as I said earlier, happy to be proved wrong.

Well you would have to call this a bust given warnings emphasised not only the heavy rain, but also large hail along dangerous and frequent lightning - You cant have a Severe thunderstorm without Lighting......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
13 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Got my eyes on the cells a couple of hours down the M40 before our region gets any ppn (or  more)

plenty of time yet

Oh yes...Look at Sunday all the activity was over Wales and not even a sniff over us (BIRMINGHAM) then in the matter of hour or so...BOOM!

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well you would have to call this a bust given warnings emphasised not only the heavy rain, but also large hail along dangerous and frequent lightning - You cant have a Severe thunderstorm without Lighting......

Lol true... though the Meto are probably a lot more concerned about the impacts of rainfall.

Anyhow lets see what the band NE of Winchester does as it advances further west through the Hampshire storm shield.... will it be breached?

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Lots of sferics now about 100 miles away on the good old radio. 1 about every 10 seconds from a few different cells.