Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

How can anybody say the warnings over the last few days have not been warranted!! There has been flooding in various areas, a tornado, lightning strikes, power outages.... No warning has ever stated that everybody in the warning zones would be affected, in fact they have all specifically stated that storms will be hit and miss.

I had a warning in Belper for heavy rain and storms on Sunday. There was nothing, but 30 miles away there was widespread flooding. Hence the warning was warranted.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Few rumbles heard E Hants, each one a little closer. Low cloud and moderate to heavy rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

How can anybody say the warnings over the last few days have not been warranted!! There has been flooding in various areas, a tornado, lightning strikes, power outages.... No warning has ever stated that everybody in the warning zones would be affected, in fact they have all specifically stated that storms will be hit and miss.

I had a warning in Belper for heavy rain and storms on Sunday. There was nothing, but 30 miles away there was widespread flooding. Hence the warning was warranted.

No one said that, they said because people in the warning areas who have had multiple misses will start seeing the warning as "cry wolf" and won't take them seriously. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Just had a bright flash and booming thunder. On lightningmaps the strike was directly to my north about 1 mile! Turning into a proper storm now! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Heavy rain again here but no lightning this time. Not complaining about that though after this morning! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Another bright flash and boom! ?️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Afternoon everyone.

Very heavy rain here in Chelmsford, and the thunder has just started up again after a half hour break.

At least I will not have to water the allotment tonight.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I think the storms on the Belgian/Luxembourg border are far more interesting. I bet I could fly there some time in the next 8 hours and still see more activity than anything here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
17 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

I just saw lighting dot in Southampton on real lighting maps

Lol whatever product your using sure aint working here! Cloudy and dull for the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
10 minutes ago, Climate_Eyes said:

Few rumbles heard E Hants, each one a little closer. Low cloud and moderate to heavy rain.

I thought that was heading your way. Seems I’m missing it again at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

No one said that, they said because people in the warning areas who have had multiple misses will start seeing the warning as "cry wolf" and won't take them seriously. 

Hopefully no one on here will think that as it shows a basic lack of understanding. Just how it goes with storms :) 

Joe Public might but generally forecasters on TV are pretty good at emphasising the 'hit-and-miss' nature of storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

@Quicksilver1989 Probably a false return again since there were loads last night. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

Unless they watch/read the news. Although I agree there will always be those who don't understand why a warning was placed because it is not doing anything outside there window. (Not including anyone in here in that statement).

Posted
Just now, Norfolk Sheep said:

I think the storms on the Belgian/Luxembourg border are far more interesting. I bet I could fly there some time in the next 8 hours and still see more activity than anything here 

You'll do that and they'll die and they'll be massive storms in the area you left lol. 

It happened to me. I went down stayed with my grandma and grandad in Dorset and the next day there was a massive storm in Retford. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Seen some pictures of the flooding in North Kent and without wanting to sound selfish in any way, we dodged a bullet here. Only about 10 miles away as the crow flies. Thoughts to those affected. 

Just heard another distant rumble as I was typing. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

You'll do that and they'll die and they'll be massive storms in the area you left lol. 

It happened to me. I went down stayed with my grandma and grandad in Dorset and the next day there was a massive storm in Retford. 

My sympathies. The same thing happened to me last year on the final day of my holiday in dorset - there was a corker of a storm right over my house at home. ☹️

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

It's just grey and dull here in Hastings, humid too...

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

My sympathies. The same thing happened to me last year on the final day of my holiday in dorset - there was a corker of a storm right over my house at home. ☹️

It was ages ago though. 

Posted

Several people are trapped in their cars by flood water near Sittingbourne, Pier Road and Medway Tunnel approach reportedly under floodwater, reports from Twitter.