Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very disappointed really and they should remove that amber warning for South Wales now 

Posted

Storm near us headed off North toward Preston way. Had about 5 good rumbles of thunder, still too sunny in Western sky to see any lightning. Chucking it down though. 

Can see lots of convection still going on behind these rain clouds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Very disappointed really and they should remove that amber warning for South Wales now 

Yep apart from a really heavy downpour  around 5.15pm, it's been pretty flat, no thunder or lightning at all.

Time for amber warning to be removed, infact any warning to be removed  from here.

Clear to see that everything is to the North of Somerset and South Wales.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Posted

The met office seem fairly confident of storms here. Amber warning, predicted chance of storm 70% in next few hours. Black as night outside

Edit! Thundery downpour now

Edited by Frosty hollows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
12 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

I can't stop laughing about how quickly you'll alienate members on this forum with that kind of daft post

A neglected chicken from Retford? 

It seems like a train of storms/ heavy rain is forming from a broad area roughly from Reading to Bangor that is setting up for the next few hours with some more isolated storms forming in its vicinity. Surprised the amber warning for the SW is still going unless more comes up from France later, though its not too busy on the other side of the channel either unfortunately.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

I can't stop laughing how everyone was so excited and certain for today however there's about 10 strikes per hour :D

I called this at about 8am this morning!! 

To add insult to injury the sea fog has properly returned now and the temp here is down to a miserable and cold feeling 15.5c

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Any precip just dying a death within 30 miles or so of my location, let alone any storm development, just cloudy with a light NE breeze now, which could be part of the problem, Temp - 20.3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Need to remember folk that an individual strike registering on the radar could be a part of a larger lightning path, sometimes 4 and even 5 registered sferics can belong to the same bolt if it’s big enough

* I know this because I’ve seen it happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well I guess there’s nothing to see here but there literally is nothing to see here now as I can’t see the sky anymore. 

87648A4D-3F6B-47E3-A5F5-7A8299E79E6C.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
15 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

More strikes than the other night when a load of you stayed up to watch that band of rain

:D

Just to add the convection in northern France is all surface based so will 100% survive the trip across the channel and there is NO Elevated Plume present over the south or the channel so tools down south of the M4 now.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
6 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

A neglected chicken from Retford? 

It seems like a train of storms/ heavy rain is forming from a broad area roughly from Reading to Bangor that is setting up for the next few hours with some more isolated storms forming in its vicinity. Surprised the amber warning for the SW is still going unless more comes up from France later, though its not too busy on the other side of the channel either unfortunately.

I'm gladly not from Retford :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just now, Alderc said:

Just to add the convection in northern France is all surface based so will 100% survive the trip across the channel and there is NO Elevated Plume preset over the south or the channel so tools down south of the M4 now.

I have to correct you a little on that bolded bit......I'm south of the M4, have distant rumbles and it's been rumbling on and off for the past 2-3 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, Neglectedchicken said:

I'm gladly not from Retford :D

Least there is a chance it may not be a bust then 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
17 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

The met office seem fairly confident of storms here. Amber warning, predicted chance of storm 70% in next few hours. Black as night outside

Edit! Thundery downpour now

Yes, and at 20.00 radar the Reading cell and system East of Didcot really do seem to have merged, I was concerned for a while they'd go either side of Wantage.  I think this is what we need to be watching, the amber warning specifically mentioned merging systems and slow movement.

I think that whole system south of Oxford could be very interesting.

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just to add the convection in northern France is all surface based so will 100% survive the trip across the channel and there is NO Elevated Plume present over the south or the channel so tools down south of the M4 now.

In the middle of a thundery downpour here that looks like it's building so hardly tools down

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

This is a bit disappointing in Glos - the sky, the heavy rain, the low cloud hanging on hill tops - best storm I’ve ever witnessed, in Somerset in 1999 up Glastonbury Tor,had all these elements! Not a single flash or bang here. Oh well hearing the heavy rain is nice. 

Posted

Tbh I never really saw it for the SW or at least Devon (Somerset upwards perhaps), at least not 'severe thunderstorms'.

Not much even showed heavy rain, including the Met Offices location forecast and map. The ECM 00z seemed to though which could be in part why the Met Office included coastal E Devon in their amber warning, but even so it would have to have been elevated (onshore wind as forecast and low cloud), but there's barely any CAPE at any level of the atmosphere down here.