Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Did that all come from that merger earlier?

It's really difficult to tell, I've watched the last two hours of radar on animation, and it seems they merged, then became two parallel streams, then turned into a combined mess, and finally a coherent string of storms north of Oxford has formed, where they are going jury's out.  I wouldn't mind betting some parts of Oxfordshire are in a right mess at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

I think it is game over for us in Warminster in Wiltshire to get any thunderstorms tonight and there's no more showers or anything getting bigger on the rainfall radar and no rain in the in the English Channel to turn into thunderstorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Can we all just agree that they should have made the amber warning area 1 mile smaller then everyone will be happy and we can all get along happily like teletubbies

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Quite a few flashes now to my south, from my location they seem to be to my south east, some 10 miles away but the thunder really is deep and quite loud but nothing showing on LightningMaps... quite odd.

Posted

Thunder later today started from surface showers I think or was it, it just looked like a mass of dark clouds merged,havn`t seen any decent CB`s this year yet,did see some TCU earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Is it me or is that area of storms north of Oxford getting more organised and lightening looks more frequent, think areas north and west shouldn’t give up hope yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Thunder later today started from surface showers I think or was it, it just looked like a mass of dark clouds merged,havn`t seen any decent CB`s this year yet,did see some TCU earlier.

Me either - and IC lightning really doesn’t float my boat unless the cloud structure is visible otherwise you may as well just stare into a flashing bike light.

There are a number of four-letter words that would accurately describe the period of convective weather we’ve had in this last week.

Thank goodness it’s only the start of summer - please please please can we have a proper thunderstorm soon ?

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Is it me or is that area of storms north of Oxford getting more organised and lightening looks more frequent, think areas north and west shouldn’t give up hope yet

looking promising soon for your area! 

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Yes I'd say so, I've been watching that system all evening and it's now giving highest precipitation and looks organised and approaching as far north as Stratford.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes I'd say so, I've been watching that system all evening and it's now giving highest precipitation and looks organised and approaching as far north as Stratford.  

nothing really happening in stratford at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I don’t think it is particularly

Many heavy showers are being forecasted everywhere

Edited by Neglectedchicken

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

It’s just painfully slow moving but suppose it does look like it’s gaining in strength rather than dying atm so at least we have hope

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It's really difficult to tell, I've watched the last two hours of radar on animation, and it seems they merged, then became two parallel streams, then turned into a combined mess, and finally a coherent string of storms north of Oxford has formed, where they are going jury's out.  I wouldn't mind betting some parts of Oxfordshire are in a right mess at the moment.

Yeah...lots of reports of flooding in Oxford. Didcot station is under water which could be fun for commuters. Further north must be so much worse...it seems to have stalled. 

Just glad we hadn't had lots of surface heating to add to the mix. We might have been looking at something very dangerous

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I wonder if that area of storms could make it up here in the early hours? Stranger things have happened at sea. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Very bright flash of lightning just a moment ago and a really big boom of thunder...Rain has picked up a bit now as well.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

nothing really happening in stratford at the moment.

Take a look at the radar, I give it 20 minutes!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lightning strike on the railway at abbotswood junction between Bromsgrove and Cheltenham has taken the signals out . 

5 trains currently at a stand in the area .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon

That cell is looking rather large , does anyone think its going to grow bigger or weaken??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Malvern's late to the party, but we've a thunderstorm approaching from the SE. Several flashes and rumbles, raining quite hard.

• Like 1