Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
19 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

One incident?.......go and have a look at the radar for the past several  hours ( and still ongoing) for wilts/wales/oxon/berks & parts of somerset and then come back and say that today there was only one incident of a localised downpour and the Meto's warnings were unwarranted.

In closing (and not directed at you specifically) some members in here need to look up what the Met Office warnings actually mean and their criteria before slagging them off in here ....Don't forget, the warning system is in place for Mr & Mrs Joe Public who dont' have access to information that we do here on NW....With reference to the warning system,  the amber which is for an increased likelyhood of impacts from severe weather.....no where does it say definite and for every single location in the warning area.....to quote...

"

Yellow Warning: Yellow warnings can be issued for a range of weather situations. Many are issued when it is likely that the weather will cause some low level impacts, including some disruption to travel in a few places. Many people may be able to continue with their daily routine, but there will be some that will be directly impacted and so it is important to assess if you could be affected. Other yellow warnings are issued when the weather could bring much more severe impacts to the majority of people but the certainty of those impacts occurring is much lower. It is important to read the content of yellow warnings to determine which weather situation is being covered by the yellow warning.

Amber Warning: There is an increased likelihood of impacts from severe weather, which could potentially disrupt your plans. This means there is the possibility of travel delays, road and rail closures, power cuts and the potential risk to life and property. You should think about changing your plans and taking action to protect yourself and your property. You may want to consider the impact of the weather on your family and your community and whether there is anything you need to do ahead of the severe weather to minimise the impact.

Red Warning: Dangerous weather is expected and, if you haven’t already done so, you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the severe weather. It is very likely that there will be a risk to life, with substantial disruption to travel, energy supplies and possibly widespread damage to property and infrastructure. You should avoid travelling, where possible, and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities."

oh come on - am amber warming was required today ? please read what it signifies and yes maybe warn of some localised flooding but leave it at that. No need for this apocalyptic nonsense

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Is that low cloud or shower cloud forming to the north of London on the radar image?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

as it relates to todays convective discussion then it's relevant to this thread....you can always skip through if it's not to your taste Or “if it’s not to your toast.”

• Like 1

Posted

Flooding bad in oxford, Botley road is closed. Happy to say easied off here.

Seems to me to just the same as when the midlands took the brunt of some storms, then kent did, its just today its oxfordshire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
10 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Hello. Even though there may have been one or two areas today which did see some issues, I still wouldn't class it as Amber. 

quote trimmed.....look up the definition & criteria.....i.e projected weather has the potential.....the clue is in the word....that is what some members are missing.....anyhoos, I'll leave it there to save me getting bombarded with messages to 'shut the fog up, and go fog myself'..............lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The surrounding areas of London have done outstanding all week for storm development!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 minutes ago, cobbett said:

oh come on - am amber warming was required today ? please read what it signifies and yes maybe warn of some localised flooding but leave it at that. No need for this apocalyptic nonsense

for my location it was well justified...nuff said

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I've got the fog. :rofl:

Yep me too.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

No fog here .

it must have got up and fogged off

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Check out the intensity of the rainfall north of Oxford just now (sorry I can't post that from my iPad) and with power to come, I think far for being a bust, the MO warnings will prove to be absolutely correct.  We'll see tomorrow's new stories.  One final point, the warnings were for rain, mentioning thunderstorms yes but we're not their target audience(!), but on their primary message they were justified.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

The surrounding areas of London have done outstanding all week for storm development!

Last weekends spectacular light show was by far the highlight, not a lot since, but still thunder heard on some days, not bad for May.

Posted
31 minutes ago, TheToastPeople said:

Oh jeeze can we all shut up about the weather warnings. Either post about the current weather conditions or fog off

The current weather is flooding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That definitely warranted an amber warning

Screenshot_2018-05-31-22-06-27.thumb.png.24b244184c0012cf1b87e1026cd67f48.png

Lot's of stations in and around Oxford with 40 to 50mm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Check out the intensity of the rainfall north of Oxford just now (sorry I can't post that from my iPad) and with power to come, I think far for being a bust, the MO warnings will prove to be absolutely correct.  We'll see I tomorrow's new stories.  One final point, the warnings were for rain, mentioning thunderstorms yes but we're not their target audience(!), but on their primary message they were justified.

Did that all come from that merger earlier?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Wow, so many nimby posts in here, it's descending into a thread that doesn't warrant reading. For those of you still doubting the Amber warning, try this for size https://twitter.com/DaveThroupEA/status/1002241491522158592?s=04

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

fogging hell, that's a lot of rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

First lightning seen just south of Worcester with a deep rumble of thunder...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Really quite regretting the decision not to go chasing this after work. Looked quite un-promising about 5-6pm but I bet its pretty spectacular down there right now! @Supacell was heading Oxford way last we heard and he's been quiet since, presumably enjoying the show :p

Posted

Could be woken up by more thunder later tonight,or is it worth going to bed tonight.

I can`t stand going anywhere from here like visiting that's tomorrow later on the hop, when there`s thunder about

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

yep some flooding - not too unusual for this country though. Thought peeps on here were expecting severe thunderstorms

Posted
1 minute ago, Joey.G said:

Really quite regretting the decision not to go chasing this after work. Looked quite un-promising about 5-6pm but I bet its pretty spectacular down there right now! @Supacell was heading Oxford way last we heard and he's been quiet since, presumably enjoying the show :p

I imagine a fair bit of elevated activity in that area