Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
4 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

'MEGASTORM LIGHTNING BLITZ HEADING FOR UK!!!'

I swear to God, some on here think that this is the definition for a Met Office amber alert....lol

• Like 3

Posted

two storms this evening, this second one is really quite active. The front garden is a pond and the road a river of brown water

Posted
16 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Just one incident of a localised downpour (which are not uncommon at this time of year) still didn't warrant the over exaggerated forecasts - its a bust

One??? I'm giving examples of 2 within a few miles of each other.  There have been countless others 

• Like 1

Posted

Now that the light is fading is anyone seeing lightning from those cells over wiltshire way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

For those of you doubting the Met Office warnings, just look at the Netweather radar now for north Oxfordshire, and the lightning strikes, most of it went north of me to be honest , but forget stuff coming up from France etc, this was the risk and it's being realised.  

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
34 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

I find an ironic observation that people who don't receive severe weather in their very own back yard are the ones who complain about unwarranted met office warnings......

The met office amber warning is for parts of the west country and wales and is for the potential of excessive rain & potential flooding....I'm in the amber warning area and given the deluge we've had this afternoon and evening and surface flooding on roads, it's entirely appropriate.................Sorry, but it grinds my gears, the met office get a lot of unwarranted & unjustified criticism, they are professional forecasters and apart from the very few pro's on NW, I'd like any armchair expert on here to do better 

Can you stop duplicating my posts just before I post mine 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

I swear to God, some on here think that this is the definition for a Met Office amber alert....lol

I've been under warnings from the met especially during the Lakeland floods where  lives where lost and 600 million of damage was   Done ,keep up the good work guys .

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

For those of you doubting the Met Office warnings, just look at the Netweather radar now for north Oxfordshire, and the lightning strikes, most of it went north of me to be honest, but forget stuff coming up from France etc, this was the risk and it's being realised.  

We have flooding issues in S.oxon too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

For those of you doubting the Met Office warnings, just look at the Netweather radar now for north Oxfordshire, and the lightning strikes, most of it went north of me to be honest, but forget stuff coming up from France etc, this was the risk and it's being realised.  

But most of it is on the periphery or just outside of it. The amber warning needed to be nudged up, and Dorset/Devon and Cornwall to be removed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Oh jeeze can we all shut up about the weather warnings. Either post about the current weather conditions or fog off

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

That’s it! I’m throwing the towel in in today and calling it a bust for me. 

But as the sun sets... We are still brewing things up!... For someone! Lol ?️

9B810187-1449-4F00-84A9-BBFACD511EAF.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Had great thunderstorms during the weekend so I’m not too jealous of the torrential rain and thunderstorms that have just effected oxford...  ☔

Posted
1 minute ago, TheToastPeople said:

Oh jeeze can we all shut up about the weather warnings. Either post about the current weather conditions or fog off

You mention the word fog my friend from the isle of wight just said its very foggy there!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Mapantz said:

But most of it is on the periphery or just outside of it. The amber warning needed to be nudged up, and Dorset/Devon and Cornwall to be removed.

Yes, and there you do have a point which is fair criticism. The Met Office never seem to remove their warnings for regions close to an event when it's become obvious to everyone on forums like this that the risk is no more.  Eyes on the models not out of the window, you might say. This is something they could do better at, but no criticism from me for issuing the warnings in the first place. Totally justified.

Posted

Still torrential here, the water is rather too close to the front door for comfort and the cats are going metal!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Just off to have some toast

Haha you legend!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon

The MetO is being criticised because they exaggerated today like crazy, probably due to the fact they witnessed what these thunderstorms can do (weekend) way to exaggerated compared to the weekend and the other day which had thunderstorms in the south to a much more extent..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, TheToastPeople said:

I've got the fog. :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

That’s it! I’m throwing the towel in in today and calling it a bust for me. 

But as the sun sets... We are still brewing things up!... For someone! Lol ?️

9B810187-1449-4F00-84A9-BBFACD511EAF.jpeg

I’m in Wrexham and got something similar lol 

A09A07D1-A26B-478F-8A02-6B9FF5D29E3F.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
7 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

One incident?.......go and have a look at the radar for the past several  hours ( and still ongoing) for wilts/wales/oxon/berks & parts of somerset and then come back and say that today there was only one incident of a localised downpour and the Meto's warnings were unwarranted.

In closing (and not directed at you specifically) some members in here need to look up what the Met Office warnings actually mean and their criteria before slagging them off in here ....Don't forget, the warning system is in place for Mr & Mrs Joe Public who dont' have access to information that we do here on NW....With reference to the warning system,  the amber which is for an increased likelyhood of impacts from severe weather.....no where does it say definite and for every single location in the warning area.....to quote...

"

Yellow Warning: Yellow warnings can be issued for a range of weather situations. Many are issued when it is likely that the weather will cause some low level impacts, including some disruption to travel in a few places. Many people may be able to continue with their daily routine, but there will be some that will be directly impacted and so it is important to assess if you could be affected. Other yellow warnings are issued when the weather could bring much more severe impacts to the majority of people but the certainty of those impacts occurring is much lower. It is important to read the content of yellow warnings to determine which weather situation is being covered by the yellow warning.

Amber Warning: There is an increased likelihood of impacts from severe weather, which could potentially disrupt your plans. This means there is the possibility of travel delays, road and rail closures, power cuts and the potential risk to life and property. You should think about changing your plans and taking action to protect yourself and your property. You may want to consider the impact of the weather on your family and your community and whether there is anything you need to do ahead of the severe weather to minimise the impact.

Red Warning: Dangerous weather is expected and, if you haven’t already done so, you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the severe weather. It is very likely that there will be a risk to life, with substantial disruption to travel, energy supplies and possibly widespread damage to property and infrastructure. You should avoid travelling, where possible, and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities."

Hello. Even though there may have been one or two areas today which did see some issues, I still wouldn't class it as Amber. I think that recently we have seen the MetOffice needlessly issue warnings just to 'stay on the safe side'. I think issuing unwarranted warnings risk changing people's perception to warnings. For eg, repeatedly issuing Amber when the event doesn't occur for a particular area or when the impact is only slight and so only really warrants a Yellow warning. This means that next time when an Amber is issued people will simply think it shouldn't cause too much disruption as it didn't the last time an Amber was issued. Also lets not forget how the media will 'hype' up the event anyway. Personally here in the West Midlands the Amber issued in the past weekend was granted, lives were lost, however, today I feel the Met Office have been too over cautious, it hasn't been widespread disruption. In regards to snow warnings, I can understand why only a few cm may warrant an Amber since in modern day Britain, a few cm of the white stuff is enough for all our infrastructure to grind to a halt, this doesn't happen with a few heavy downpours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
2 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Hello. Even though there may have been one or two areas today which did see some issues, I still wouldn't class it as Amber. I think that recently we have seen the MetOffice needlessly issue warnings just to 'stay on the safe side'. I think issuing unwarranted warnings risk changing people's perception to warnings. For eg, repeatedly issuing Amber when the event doesn't occur for a particular area or when the impact is only slight and so only really warrants a Yellow warning. This means that next time when an Amber is issued people will simply think it shouldn't cause too much disruption as it didn't the last time an Amber was issued. Also lets not forget how the media will 'hype' up the event anyway. Personally here in the West Midlands the Amber issued in the past weekend was granted, lives were lost, however, today I feel the Met Office have been too over cautious, it hasn't been widespread disruption. In regards to snow warnings, I can understand why only a few cm may warrant an Amber since in modern day Britain, a few cm of the white stuff is enough for all our infrastructure to grind to a halt, this doesn't happen with a few heavy downpours.

Taken the words out of my mouth

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

No fog at the mo: first day this week without it! I suspect it will be rolling in from the N Sea again shortly now that the sun has set.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
14 minutes ago, TheToastPeople said:

as it relates to todays convective discussion then it's relevant to this thread....you can always skip through if it's not to your taste