Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dan the Man said:

Gone a bit dark here just outside Luton Airport.

Seems like were on the cusp of something

Yes, it's called sunset. 

Wishing you the best of luck though, hope you get something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

In the middle of a thundery downpour here that looks like it's building so hardly tools down

Last time I checked Oxford was about 20miles north of the M4......

I used the M4 as a general rule of thumb, yes there some thundery activity around central part however that will deminsinh rapidly in the next hour! 

Also given what thundery activity there is and it’s generally surface based id expect that too to weaken from about 20:30-21:00.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, and at 20.00 radar the Reading cell and system East of Didcot really do seem to have merged, I was concerned for a while they'd go either side of Wantage.  I think this is what we need to be watching, the amber warning specifically mentioned merging systems and slow movement.

I think that whole system south of Oxford could be very interesting.

I'm 6 miles east of Didcot and 12 miles NW of Reading so right at that point. Torrential rain and lots of thunder after a dull dank day. Cannot see the bottom of the garden for the rain. Definitely warranted the weather warning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Massive cloudburst as the cell went overhead, then gave lightning as it moved away to the  north-west. had about 5 rumbles. 

Posted

Is the stuff coming out of France expected to head across in to the UK or is it going to fade/burn out over the channel

Posted
1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Is the stuff coming out of France expected to head across in to the UK or is it going to fade/burn out over the channel

Seems to me as if it's been fading over the last couple of hours every time it gets anywhere near.

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

It will decay as surface based.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I’m not counting on it.

i think that’s it (for our area at least) from this ‘thundery spell’.

Lasted over a week, had about 8 opportunities and got naff all.

I did quite a bit of chasing but still haven’t seen anything of any real significance from it.

Waste of time and energy for me, really.

Hope others have fared better

Edit: that Sunday backbuilder was amazing though - until it literally stopped dead in its tracks. That was just weird and annoying

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Massive cloudburst as the cell went overhead, then gave lightning as it moved away to the  north-west. had about 5 rumbles. 

Missed out on that storm,seemed to develop over me,few spot of rain but still dry around here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Take a look at the radar loop east Kent corner, it's literally disappearing on approach, we have fog from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm 6 miles east of Didcot and 12 miles NW of Reading so right at that point. Torrential rain and lots of thunder after a dull dank day. Cannot see the bottom of the garden for the rain. Definitely warranted the weather warning

Yes getting dark here and looking now like a significantly bigger beast on the radar.

6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Last time I checked Oxford was about 20miles north of the M4......

I used the M4 as a general rule of thumb, yes there some thundery activity around central part however that will deminsinh rapidly in the next hour! 

Also given what thundery activity there is and it’s generally surface based id expect that too to weaken from about 20:30-21:00.

May I respectfully disagree, the system south of Oxford extending now to south of the M4 is still intensifying, and becoming larger - where we go from here we'll see but the evolution fits well with the wording of the amber warning, and in about the right place, I'm dubious about foreign imports, this is what we need to watch in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The activity in France is slowly dying a death, and i think the activity over here could hardly be called frantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Mist coming in again now. What a rubbish day of weather that was. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Met office Amber is not right for Wiltshire and Dorset and other county's because there been no severe thunderStroms  

Warminister had a massive downpour earlier did it not?

The warning wasn’t for dangerous levels of excitement - it was for severe weather, which I begrudgingly accept was probably warranted for some places

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,snow+gales

Makes a complete mockery of the warning system i know lets issue an amber for a few scattered storms