Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

The constant rain for the last two hours has really cooled it down here.

Hopefully it does one and we can get some convection on the go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

For the record, here is the current lightning map at the moment. ?️⛈️??

967F0FC7-BCA4-4FE9-A79D-71B5C425442F.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think we will see an improvement in the intensity of these storm cells - but remember the lifecycle of each cel will be relatively short, so let’s hope for some backbuilding to reinvigorate them.

Hopefully some cooling of the tops will help intensify them further before the evening is through

Overnight we can possibly rely on some elevated convection continuing but this won’t or particularly organised or prolific.

Generally i’d Say today was well over-cooked looking at the forecasts but they are just doing their job

• Like 2

Posted

The cell north of Liverpool being triggered by a convergence, something that's lacking across the Midlands unless outflow from the current storms swings the vectors around.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thunda!!! Get the f**k in! 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted

Thunder heard. Looks like storm clouds heading to us from the East......unusual

Took grandsons out earlier and was telling 7 year old about the convection going on around us about 5.30 and that we may get a storm!

Posted

Big cell erupted to my East at Henley on Thames

Edit:interesting that it's moving west when everything else is moving NW

Edited by Frosty hollows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think we will see an improvement in the intensity of these storm cells - but remember the lifecycle of each cel will be relatively short, so let’s hope for some backbuilding to reinvigorate them.

Hopefully some cooling of the tops will help intensify them further before the evening is through

Overnight we can possibly rely on some elevated convection continuing but this won’t or particularly organised or prolific.

Generally i’d Say today was well over-cooked looking at the forecasts but they are just doing their job

One issue today has seemingly been the continuation/minor development of weak elevated convection from this morning. It has seemingly co existed alongside surface convection, hence why the further west broader areas of rain have been present extending cloud cover (cloud top heights were better further east)! I mentioned the possibility of a messy transition from elevated to surface convection yesterday in my forecast. The more intense cells have located in regions that exited the elevated convection in the morning! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon

I can't stop laughing how everyone was so excited and certain for today however there's about 10 strikes per hour :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

Those cells South of Shrewsbury justify that amber warning 
even though they are outside it ^_^ 

Yup it seems like the centre of all the action is in the west Midlands kind of area rather then areas of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset like what I thought they would be. The recently updated meto forecast radar got it spot on though.

Everything seems to be focused around the N/NE of the amber warning area at the moment rather then directly within it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
10 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Big cell erupted to my East at Henley on Thames

Edit:interesting that it's moving west when everything else is moving NW

Yes I've got my eye on that one too, think it's headed WNW but is adding on a cell to the south it seems, wonder if it could do that again and combine with the stuff near Reading.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
Just now, Neglectedchicken said:

I can't stop laughing how everyone was so excited and certain for today however there's about 10 strikes per hour :D

I know, there's bugger'all happening here, and it just does not look as if it will, Sunday's event was a very rare occurence, and may not happen again for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

I can't stop laughing about how quickly you'll alienate members on this forum with that kind of daft post

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

No more lightning in the region since but dark skies all around and feels amazing. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes I've got my eye on that one too, think it's headed WNW but is adding on a cell to the south it seems, wonder if it could do that again and combine with the stuff near Reading.

Posted same thing at same time! Looks like it's merging overhead.  Several rumbles now. This could get interesting (or not)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

More strikes than the other night when a load of you stayed up to watch that band of rain

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Ah damnit, Good game.

Im not one for towel throwing but this seems game over for the orange warning areas.

Ill be back if anything changes