Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Wondering if them storms off east anglia are gonna make it too the Yorkshire coast ? 

Posted

And now we wait.

Made my way up to Tot Hill services on the A34 just by the M4.

Feeling warm with a few breaks in the cloud trying to appear.

Posted

The storms just off the coast of east anglia will likely brush east anglia and northeast England I would say the main thunder and lightning will stay offshore. Just my view

• Like 1

Posted

Just regarding the Met Office Amber warning area, which took me by surprise given that Central Southern England seemed more at threat with Severe storms than The South West according to model outputs earlier. (Would love to see their models right now)

But this area has caught my eye. Rapid clearance of any clouds during recent frames indicates the main area for potential IMO. With steering flows being NNW, this puts everyone in the Amber Warning area at risk. Possible good call by the Met? We shall see.

image.thumb.png.8ac9e18b8037798ab114035c7f2c3967.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Trying to be optimistic, though finding it hard today, no sunshine yet. It is humid and temperature is quite nice, looking at the radar and feeling as if the warnings and forcasts have way over shot what was ecpected, i guess there is time for it to change but i honestly thought their would be more going on down the south coast and towards london.

Edited by Petorious
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Sluggish day so far, just cloudy and dull in Southampton. Radar looks unexciting and there are hardly any lightning strikes in the channel. More intense bursts of rainfall in the SW.

Considering things were supposed to get going after 11am this has been very very lacklustre so far.

Hopefully that will set off a load of storms now 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Hmm must admit despite it feeling very humid it certainly doesn't feel like a storm is coming, had dull slate grey skies all day with rain on and off.

That said there does seem to be pretty good consensus on some storms breaking out later, I'm considering heading up the A36 towards Salisbury in a bit as a starting point, but would like to see some sign of things kicking off first.

Posted

Faintest hints of blue through the cloud in Exeter at the moment, unfortunately radar looks like rain will arrive soon and stick around for a while!

That will please the 9 pointy red things we are expecting later! 

Interesting how sharp the showers look in the stuff drifting up from the SE

Edited by TheFlyingDuck

Posted

Early morning fog has cleared here into mid-level clouds with intermittent sunshine, oppressively humid when the sun comes out and there's already hints of localized convection.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I’m inclined to agree, I just feel the Oxford area seems to do well in these setups (was it 2012 when there was a tornado/funnel cloud near didcot with some insane structure?). I would definitely start just north of Oxford and head north depending on what transpires.

They  seem to fire up as they cross the Thames and hit the Chilterns. High Wycombe westwards along the M40 is usually good. I would head for the Stokenchurch cutting. Excellent view of the Oxford vale. Watlington hill is another good spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
16 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

The storms just off the coast of east anglia will likely brush east anglia and northeast England I would say the main thunder and lightning will stay offshore. Just my view

18 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

Wondering if them storms off east anglia are gonna make it too the Yorkshire coast ? 

Honestly think them storms will decay by the time they reach any coasts..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

here's a shoe in prediction for ya.....looking at  few posts on this page, i predict a riot 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Just regarding the Met Office Amber warning area, which took me by surprise given that Central Southern England seemed more at threat with Severe storms than The South West according to model outputs earlier. (Would love to see their models right now)

But this area has caught my eye. Rapid clearance of any clouds during recent frames indicates the main area for potential IMO. With steering flows being NNW, this puts everyone in the Amber Warning area at risk. Possible good call by the Met? We shall see.

Yes - I am seeing this also. But I think the amber warning might need to be extended eastward.  Winds are pretty much from 150* heading NNW. I am more on the thinking that the Level 1 by Estofex is best bet for an extensive coverage of TSRA.

image.thumb.png.95622cb827ce5e3d72eeea284ed7aad0.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

here's a shoe in prediction for ya.....looking at  few posts on this page, i predict a riot 

Lol I hope not.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Indeed. 

Also the area to my E / SE is clearing so fingers cross well see those temps rise and something will fire

Screenshot_20180531-124629_1.jpg

Edited by dave reid
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

Yeah....I can see Ac Cas bubbling up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

cloud very slowly diminishing here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Feeling very humid and muggy today, clouds bubbling up rather quickly and nicely now with few towers I can see where there are gaps, all in all looking good here at the moment 

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 2