Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but the daily whatever have coined new storm terminology: Megastorm!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/967188/UK-weather-forecast-storm-lightning-rain-thunder-Met-Office-forecast-long-range-forecast/amp

It is making me cringe.  Pity it's too late already for the top US storm chasers to fly over and witness this new phenomenon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm not expecting anything either, NS...:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Looking out towards the channel:

3AF43125-453C-4B8E-9B5F-39F975B4EB82.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm not expecting anything either, NS...:cray:

*group East Anglian hug* 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sun is out now; 19.0°C. Let’s get that insolation going! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Sun is also out here and 19'c too. This is exactly the start we needed to see some surface based convection later, temperatures in N Bristol nearing 20'c already; won't be long and we could see the possibility of a few showers form ahead of the area of rain on the south coast.

Currently favour M4 northwards into S Midlands for any early morning showers.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

The fog has been replaced by drizzle here now - the yellow warning must be for being 'bored' to death by the weather.

6 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Sun is also out here and 19'c too. This is exactly the start we needed to see some surface based convection later, temperatures in N Bristol nearing 20'c already; won't be long and we could see the possibility of a few showers form ahead of the area of rain on the south coast.

Currently favour M4 northwards into S Midlands for any early morning showers.

Yes agreed, assuming the mist and fog clears which it should there should be some fun and games inland. Looks like another yucky, wet and overcast day here.

Might get lucky and catch a thundery shower here later. If I were living somewhere in a line from London westwards to the M4 corridor I'd be very excited about today. Some severe storms are likely to develop in Cent & Southern Eng oday and due to the highly unstable atmosphere we aren't looking for crazy temps to get things going either. 22-23C should do it by the mid/late afternoon.

Inland areas seeing low cloud thinning somewhat over the next hour. Sun beginning to peek through at times here in Sheffield :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Pretty poor for thunderstorms here in Cardiff over the last couple of days. Miserable this morning, but feeling sultry. The sun is slowly trying to break through now which will hopefully help to fuel some storms later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

The state of the latest local bbc forecast...all wrong already. Had the clump of rain from this morning as showers.

Ha ha. 

On a more positive note is is brightening up a tad...still overcast though! 

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Just saw lighting dot in Bristol on real lighting maps 

Real-Time Lightning maps currently seem to be having an issue with distributing random lightning strikes which aren't appearing on Blitzortung (Which is where they get their data from). I find the Blitzortung website more accurate and reliable: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Just saw lighting dot in Bristol on real lighting maps 

Its rouge, there's nothing thundery within 200miles of Bristol currently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
37 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

*group East Anglian hug* 

I am in east anglia and expected it to reach. I think it will I’m in the far west 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Very overcast start to the day here and no sign of the sun breaking through yet either. Hopefully that changes soon. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Real-Time Lightning maps currently seem to be having an issue with distributing random lightning strikes which aren't appearing on Blitzortung (Which is where they get their data from). I find the Blitzortung website more accurate and reliable: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Yeah i think it could be rogue overspill sferics from the storms over Holland. They are out of control at the moment! So early in the day too!

Posted

Showers in the Channel seem to be a little further west than I was expecting? Anyway the sun is finally out in Salcombe, the temperature was already up to 18deg about an hour ago so expecting that to notch up a little. I personally think we may be in luck this far west today, but as always the weather will do what it wants!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

Met office weather forecast South West England

Headline:

Becoming brighter, but with thunderstorms.

Today:

Early fog and low cloud will lift to give some sunny spells through the day. There will be some thunderstorms though, with some torrential downpours, and hail and lightning are likely. Maximum temperature 22 °C.

Tonight:

The thunderstorms will continue tonight, with the risk of further downpours, hail and lightning. They will ease towards dawn, however, mist, fog and low cloud are also likely overnight. Minimum temperature 13 °C.

1 minute ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Met office weather forecast South West England

Headline:

Becoming brighter, but with thunderstorms.

Today:

Early fog and low cloud will lift to give some sunny spells through the day. There will be some thunderstorms though, with some torrential downpours, and hail and lightning are likely. Maximum temperature 22 °C.

Tonight:

The thunderstorms will continue tonight, with the risk of further downpours, hail and lightning. They will ease towards dawn, however, mist, fog and low cloud are also likely overnight. Minimum temperature 13 °C.

I'm sorry but this is wrong already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the sun's out here but plenty of mid-level coud as well......hmm...at first glance the radar is not very inspiring but I've not had chance to peruse hi-res modelling.....however, I'm concerned and with the closeness of the leading edge of that decaying MCS, I'm already inclined to shunt the main risk zone for strong SB storms a good 100 miles further north.......thick cloud cover = no insolation = no sb storms as the general rule.....we shall see

Edited by ajpoolshark