Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting my lightning detector isn't detecting anything much mostly quiet which means it can't lock in to anything

Posted

We had 37mm here in Aylesbury altogether from yesterday afternoons downpours to last nights. We had 8mm on Sunday and 23mm on Saturday so we have had 68mm which is a lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks to be dying out on the radar. Still further possibilities today but the main chance around here is tomorrow pm.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

People in Nottingham and derby for example should keep an eye on that intense cluster of thunderstorms over the next hour.

Shame we'll have to call it 'thundery rain' now as it's just a mass of heavy precip with the odd embedded weak thunderstorm. Electrical activity is currently very low.

Posted

i think we will just get some rain. shame it looked promising but tommorow looks quite good, i hope chesterfield gets a storm before next week 

Posted

It’s thundery rain your correct but still intense rainfall is possible in these areas.

2 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Shame we'll have to call it 'thundery rain' now as it's just a mass of heavy precip with the odd embedded weak thunderstorm. Electrical activity is currently very low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
27 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

People in Nottingham and derby for example should keep an eye on that intense cluster of thunderstorms over the next hour.

Please stop using terms like ‘intense cluster of thunderstorms’. It’s misleading.

Thanks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jordan smith said:

It’s thundery rain your correct but still intense rainfall is possible in these areas.

Absolutely, I just wouldn't call it an area of thunderstorms anymore. I don't think it's chucking out any lightning at all now.

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Please stop using terms like ‘intense cluster of thunderstorms’. It’s misleading.

Thanks.

I used that term only once it’s also misleading when people say it’s weakening I am simply pointing out some rather intense rain around that area with some thunderstorms mixed in if anything I’ve been very non misleading today but anyway moving on tomorrow looks good.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Absolutely, I just wouldn't call it an area of thunderstorms anymore. I don't think it's chucking out any lightning at all now.

Yeah it’s mostly just very heavy rain.

Posted

there are some cells starting to form to the east and north of it though, we maybe have a chance 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Complete dross this morning. Even the rain wasn't up to much. 

Really intense downpour just before midnight which was great - sat with the door open and enjoyed the cool breeze that came with it

Lightning / thunder wise - nada as expected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Really intense downpour just before midnight which was great - sat with the door open and enjoyed the cool breeze that came with it

Lightning / thunder wise - nada as expected

I had a storm earlier before it weakened. 

Posted
Just now, Swansonson69 said:

I believe there's already flooding on the road if not a lot of surface water. 

Yeah there was loads of surface water flooding here quite cool to see rain pelting down the way it did  

Posted
Just now, jordan smith said:

Yeah there was loads of surface water flooding here quite cool to see rain pelting down the way it did  

It is pretty cool. All the cars are slowing down so I suspect there's a little flooding up the road. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

Is there a chance of anymore storms later?

Not really no.

Edit: You really should start trying to find forecasts for your area - there are loads of them about. If it’s storms you’re after then head over to Convective Weather’s site:

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Estofex is great too (but covers Europe and won’t give you specific details about Nottinghamshire)

Netweather also issues storm forecasts, in fact there are quite a number of outlets run by professionals who do this sort of thing every day!

You might not agree with what they are saying (I know I don’t sometimes ) but it’s probably the best place to start than asking ppl in this thread to decipher the daily forecasts for you - not least because then you can come to your own conclusions about potential in your local area which really helps you get a grasp of the complex systems involved in storm generation and the conditions needed to support them.

hope IT helps

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 9

Posted
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Not really no.

Ok, that's fine. I've my storm fix today. Pretty cool storm before the rain hit. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

I used that term only once it’s also misleading when people say it’s weakening I am simply pointing out some rather intense rain around that area with some thunderstorms mixed in if anything I’ve been very non misleading today but anyway moving on tomorrow looks good.

?‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Oh well, storm risk has disappeared for my area over the next 48 hours. Could have forecasted that myself...

• Like 1