Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I’ve seen it in a few vids on YouTube. Amazing - it travels so far and so fast.

I wonder what it’s like being near the strike zone? Image a lovely day walking along and out of nowhere a huge bolt of electricity

Happened to me once, although I didn't see the bolt, just heard the thunder. Not a cloud in the sky at the time, thought I was going mad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
20 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I wonder what it’s like being near the strike zone? Image a lovely day walking along and out of nowhere a huge bolt of electricity

Lightening can travel up to 200+ miles from a Storm. 

Edited by Swansonson69

10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

It's a truly amazing place ,so hot your eyeballs feel hot in your head especially when it hits 130 f 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Lightning in the channel maybe a couple of inches off the French coast.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
37 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep it was lol, not sure if I posted about it on here or not, wasn't really that active, other than winter at that time.

Got thunderfog a few years ago I remember I was on the hogs back and it was just strobing all around, even though the storms were over Woking / chertsey way.

Didnt know it was a thing until I saw that

• Like 1

Posted

Also i'm pretty sure this separate clip is the sound of positive lightning. The flash was some 10 seconds prior to the bang. The power behind it was incredible. I'm glad this particular strike didn't hit the tower! Best listened to through headphones (go easy on the volume though :-p)

• Like 4

Posted
16 hours ago, Pursuer of Storms said:

Morning all, it was another awesome evening in MK yesterday. Cumulus towers bubbling up rapidly in every direction, one of the biggest anvils I've ever seen to the east (5th image) and then that absolute cracker of a storm a little later, which initially looked like a near miss! Did get some lightning shots this morning but barely any from this one sadly. Strikes every few seconds but had terrible luck with the timing of my camera's shutter and finding the right place to face it towards it. Still, the skies alone were spectacular.

Has there been confirmation of any tornado-related activity from yesterday evening yet? Me and a couple of other people spotted what looked like a weak funnel in the haze a few miles south of MK in the early part of the evening, in the first image. Could have been a skud but certainly did stand out despite the haze and was there for a couple of minutes before fizzling out. 

P2460517s.thumb.jpg.ebebff5668959709175b0effc328ac30.jpgP2460535s.thumb.jpg.7273c9d924d1b149dded15d5d8bd2322.jpgP2460543s.thumb.jpg.693d28ae409de8cbc915eea624997c0e.jpgP2460565s.thumb.jpg.3029c72c6c229dd7aedea67438498b1e.jpgP2460610s.thumb.jpg.a92fc111ae591f2daab427e795782f00.jpgP2460616s.thumb.jpg.d7477c01eed661dee50f73a9b54d8d56.jpg

Yes, there was a tornado In Marsworth Buckinghamshire just a mile down the road from me. I drove through and there are fences down, road signs knocked over tree's all over the place it was quite something, of course, I'm only about 14 miles away from you, I live in neighbouring village of Pitstone/Ivinghoe.

Here are details https://www.mix96.co.uk/news/local/2591108/videos-tornado-hits-marsworth/

Posted

One in Peterborough but there's no precipitation so most likely false. Same with the one in London that popped up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

At least the storms made it a bit of the way through the channel, rather than dying the instant it knew the next destination was the uk. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
3 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Looks like convergence winds later Wednesday could give the southern half of Britain some wild and intense thunderstorms:gathering:

ukwind.png

BBC forecast earlier suggesting storms in South on Wednesday moving to affect more northern areas on Thursday. Seems like this setup of high pressure over south of UK with a low over the continent could be around for another week or so 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems to be a lot of false returns appearing tonight. Seen a lot in the last couple of hours where it's obvious there's nothing there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Seems to be a lot of false returns appearing tonight. Seen a lot in the last couple of hours where it's obvious there's nothing there. 

What are the cause of those? 

One or two could be real as lightning can go up to 200+ miles from a storm. 

Edited by Swansonson69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

What are the cause of those? 

One or two could be real as lightning can go up to 200+ miles from a storm. 

I know it is possible but I doubt that’s the case here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

I was wondering the very same thing, does anyone know what causes false returns on the lightning maps such as Lightningmaps and Blitzortung?