Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

It’s not actually, water is a poor  conductor. 

It doesn't sheild you from electric lighting. Helps it reach you if not actually hit, conductive enough I reckon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Looking down towards Arundel from Dunsfold

B002291F-E760-4027-B5FC-C7FC70B3D378.jpeg

Seriously? Looks fab.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Nice!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

B002291F-E760-4027-B5FC-C7FC70B3D378.jpeg

Looks like a photo you'd see in the US rather then the UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer plumes, thunderstorms

Looks like something trying to develop east of Cambridge on radar, Sat image shows cumulus building too. 

Posted

Anyone seen the cell just north of Newhaven, not sure it's a new one or a piece of the Brighton cell?

Edited by Chi-gareth
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I have my reservations - maybe some spring-like last minute showers pop up in the next hour or two with a very brief updraught to make a few sparks, but these will be inside the cloud and very likely won’t be seen.

I sorely hope I’m wrong on this though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

grrr having trouble uploading images as only the link is showing + the images are over 7mb to upload direct! 

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
9 minutes ago, Chi-gareth said:

Anyone seen the cell just north of Newhaven, not sure it's a new one or a piece of the Brighton cell?

I' m sat in a hammock in the back garden, just on the edge of this develping cell a little to my North, a few spots if rain now but the sun still out.Imo it will slide toward the centre of Brighton.Not sure if it will become electrical this one though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Its getting closer to bust time here, just not enough forcing in place to trigger convection.

Was always going to be isolated storms today, there's still plenty of time for storms to develop today, it's no where near dusk yet, and cape is getting better now than earlier.

• Like 3

We are done here, even the showery activity moving westwards out of the Pompey area has rapidly decayed showing unfriendly the atmosphere is further for convection, even Portland still with an offshore breeze so a defo bust IOW-Exeter.

2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Was always going to be isolated storms today, there's still plenty of time for storms to develop today, it's no where near dusk yet, and cape is getting better now than earlier.

Its not really about CAP, there's tonnes of that its, about a trigger mechanism and today that would be convergence, as soon as a strong sea breeze developed near brighton it went from nothing to 37,000 in 15minutes. Its highly unusual for sea breezes to develop after say 3pm here and that's without a dominant offshore breeze to compete against.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Its not really about CAP, there's tonnes of that its, about a trigger mechanism and today that would be convergence, as soon as a strong sea breeze developed near brighton it went from nothing to 37,000 in 15minutes. Its highly unusual for sea breezes to develop after say 3pm here and that's without a dominant offshore breeze to compete against.

I think it was the explosive formation of that Brighton cell which wiped out the potential for most of West Sussex and the central and southern parts of Surrey. Check how much of a shadow it made, pulled temps down a little and stopped insolation from about 1pm onwards. It’s generally cleared a bit now but that peak heating window is gone now, we will struggle - I think - for anything other than an isolated thunderfart shower.

Edit: look how convection is attempting to fire something behind that huge plume of anvil stratus on satellite, that’s the airmass which managed to get some good heating going on. Reckon that *could* bring some electrical action westwards and into our area

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think it was the explosive formation of that Brighton cell which wiped out the potential for most of West Sussex and the central and southern parts of Surrey. Check how much of a shadow it made, pulled temps down a little and stopped insolation from about 1pm onwards. It’s generally cleared a bit now but that peak heating window is gone now, we will struggle - I think - for anything other than an isolated thunderfart shower.

There was never really a risk further inland, it was always dependant on where convergence would meet.