Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Is it Sunny in Dorset and Southampton as at moment it is cloudy over in warminster in Wiltshire .

It’s sunny here at the moment although looks cloudier just to the west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
8 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Yup.25c now on the Sussex coast.

Clear blue skies and rocketing humidity.

In past years I have always had a moan about being in the wrong place for storms at given times.

That theory busted dramatically on Saturday night as work had me in SE London.

Brighton was one of the only areas in the SE that was a total bust storm wise.

Back by the sea today so I'm hoping that this deserving part of the SE gets paid in full!

As a fellow Saltdeanite , ditto

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Amazing temperatures on the South coast given its only 11am, if some areas stay away from the storms and have unbroken sunshine, how high will the mercury climb?

Interesting to see what transpires today, I expect storms to develop suddenly, like they did in Northampton later on this afternoon. The South coast is the best spot but suffolk and Wales may also get in the act too, especially given the placement of the trough on the fax chart Robbie linked.

Into tonight/tomorrow, it'll be worth keeping an eye out on storms coming out of France and into the channel. The far SE looks best placed for this - and for the storms tomorrow.

An East or NE flow often has this part of the world doing well for heat in these conditions ( decent land track rather than sea breezes knocking temperatures on the head. ( Saturday was 26c and Sunday 25c) looks like beating those values today.

Conditions seem similar to last Tuesday here when a lone storm cell developed over mid Kent and drifted SW to give us a frantic little hail producing storm.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

When will this cloud clear a way to it spark of a thunderstorm in warminster in Wiltshire ?

Cloud burn off by 13.00 hopefully like yesterday but doubtful we'll get a storm here Tom, maybe a sharp shower from large Cumulus that may develop later.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jules777 said:

As a fellow Saltdeanite , ditto

Have been here two years now, and for sure I don't think I will move again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Looking at the forecast, it looks like Thursday our best chance of storms this week, possibly Friday and saturday since it says thunderstorms on Saturday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
3 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Have been here two years now, and for sure I don't think I will move again!

Don't blame you...Hopefully later on we will be rewarded.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Cloud burn off by 13.00 hopefully like yesterday but doubtful we'll get a storm here Tom, maybe a sharp shower from large Cumulus that may develop later.

The cloud burnt off here at about 9am. It's now Blue skies and 23°c. 

Posted

What a horrible start to the day here!!dull all morning and no sign of the sun coming out!!funny thing is normally we get this low cloud and mist coming in from the north sea to ruin out hot days but this time it seems to have developed inland (just our luck) and its really struggling to clear!!be lucky to get mid 20s today!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Clouds bubbling up to the north...dare I say the storm food has arrived and luck might be mine at some point this afternoon 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter
26 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Amazing temperatures on the South coast given its only 11am, if some areas stay away from the storms and have unbroken sunshine, how high will the mercury climb?

Interesting to see what transpires today, I expect storms to develop suddenly, like they did in Northampton later on this afternoon. The South coast is the best spot but suffolk and Wales may also get in the act too, especially given the placement of the trough on the fax chart Robbie linked.

Into tonight/tomorrow, it'll be worth keeping an eye out on storms coming out of France and into the channel. The far SE looks best placed for this - and for the storms tomorrow.

Yes 24c in Southampton already (despite the BBC showing a maximum of 22c today lol) so hopefully plenty of fuel going into the atmosphere for later.

I was at my mum's just east of Northampton until late afternoon yesterday and was hoping something might develop but looked like it was all happening a bit too far west. Headed home early evening only to find out Northampton had taken a direct hit after I had left! Annoying but I did see some nice cloudscapes at least on my way home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just been reading through the posts from yesterday onwards. A friendly reminder that there is a thread specifically for venting about lack of storms, how your town never gets them etc. below. 

On a positive note, still plenty more opportunities to come all this week for a storm to come to you. Chances will always be higher the further south you are but anyone in with a shout. Models will not be able to accurately forecast the likely areas beyond a couple of days, and changes to forecasts do and probably will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, TropicThunder said:

Yes 24c in Southampton already (despite the BBC showing a maximum of 22c today lol) so hopefully plenty of fuel going into the atmosphere for later.

I was at my mum's just east of Northampton until late afternoon yesterday and was hoping something might develop but looked like it was all happening a bit too far west. Headed home early evening only to find out Northampton had taken a direct hit after I had left! Annoying but I did see some nice cloudscapes at least on my way home.

Haha yeah I was unlucky cases where I decided to go back to Hull on that saturday in April when the storms hit southampton. Had loads of people messaging me asking what was going on with the weather.

Hopefully we will be in the right place today , if not we have the rest of summer still to go! PS BBC maximums are useless haha. I think I saw the Meto was taking a punt at 27C earlier which sounds about right.

I hope we don't get too many thundery spells in the immediate future as its distracting me from my PhD thesis writing! lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

Met office South West England

Today:

A cloudy start for some on Bank Holiday Monday, but it will quickly brighten up with spells of warm sunshine. Sea breezes will keep it cool on the coast, but inland the warmth may trigger isolated thunderstorms through the afternoon. Maximum temperature 27 °C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
10 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Just been reading through the posts from yesterday onwards. A friendly reminder that there is a thread specifically for venting about lack of storms, how your town never gets them etc. below. 

On a positive note, still plenty more opportunities to come all this week for a storm to come to you. Chances will always be higher the further south you are but anyone in with a shout. Models will not be able to accurately forecast the likely areas beyond a couple of days, and changes to forecasts do and probably will happen. 

I’ve learnt to accept that even living in a storm prone area, as I do, sometimes you’ve got to chase them (if you have spare time). I could’ve sat here moaning that we haven’t had any activity, which we haven’t! But instead I headed into bucks and Herts on Saturday to be rewarded with one of the best storms I’ve ever seen! Sometimes it really is worth venturing out if you’re storm starved, as they will not always come to you! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter
14 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Haha yeah I was unlucky cases where I decided to go back to Hull on that saturday in April when the storms hit southampton. Had loads of people messaging me asking what was going on with the weather.

Hopefully we will be in the right place today , if not we have the rest of summer still to go! PS BBC maximums are useless haha. I think I saw the Meto was taking a punt at 27C earlier which sounds about right.

I hope we don't get too many thundery spells in the immediate future as its distracting me from my PhD thesis writing! lol

Lat month's storm was probably the most insane I have ever witnessed, you missed a real humdinger!

And yes those BBC forecasts are useless. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
35 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

So wow.

What a day yesterday!

So glad you got a fix. It was a spectacular event.

Edited by Supacell
Removed long quote

Posted
2 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Today’s Met warning just updated  specifically to extend it into Merseyside. Trying to feel excited but struggling after the last weekend’s epic fail in every way. 

Can see cumulus development to my NNW, possibly Fylde area. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

24.4°C here with unbroken sunshine. It’s not just the south coast which is warming up. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

There’s a few clouds building towards Dartmoor, given the Coast here in Plymouth will be cooler I’m expecting some storms to develop towards Princetown later on. Just seems the most likely to be fair

Posted
39 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

There was also a reported tornado north west of London on the Aylesbury storm before it died. 

Edited by Supacell
Removed long quote