Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Just now, Dan the Man said:

Those cells just around the northern sector of the M25 should require close attention. Really pepped up in the last 30 mins. 

Yep. Got a cracking visual from here despite the distance and they're exploding in size.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Lightning picked up over East London now. I’m only about 25 miles away and the weather here couldn’t be more different! 

Yea, I don't think east Midlands are seeing any storms this week. 

Always the south. Very depressing. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
6 minutes ago, alexhawkins said:

man chesterfield always misses out. im trying to stay hopeful that the situation in east anglia/lincoln will explode into life but we will see 

Unless there's another Chesterfield it's done well over the last few years as I've watched storms from there die away as they approach Sheffield.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Storm_Front_81 said:

Are the Thunderstorms moving Northeast? Just constant rumbling Market Harborough.

That's what I'm seeing too, they look like they're moving north east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Dan the Man said:

Those cells just around the northern sector of the M25 should require close attention. Really pepped up in the last 30 mins. 

Those are the cells I’m seeing from here on the Kent praires (the marshlands here are our equivalent of the US plains to my mind). Convection is very robust and I agree that caution should be kept in mind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

The speed of development and movement of these distant CBs is incredible

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Lovely clear slot over northern France...New cells developing there...could be south east in in with a shout later...

Posted

This thunderstorm is not stopping. Constant strobe lightning and the amount of rain is just incredible!

• Like 1

Posted

Reports from Welshpool F+RS that one of the hospitals in the area is closed due to flooding, this conveyor-belt of storms doesn't look to be subsiding any-time soon and the Amber warnings are merited looking at a few of the images now coming out of the Midlands with flood-waters swamping cars and streets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Sorry if I'm a bit late, was up late last night and what a night it was! Four separate storms passed over me which were so close together the whole event just seemed like one giant storm. I've seen beautiful fork lightning and one horizontal fork in particular that went across the whole sky. All of it was pure white and the whole sky was lit up with constant stroble lightning for hours. Hardly any precip apart from one or two heavy bursts and weirdly although the thunder was literally constant it was really quiet and sounded muffled. I'm not sure why this was?

Onto tonight and we could be in with a shot again although the forecasts don't seem as confident for my area tonight but we'll see. After an utterly dismal start to the season things are now picking up for me and last nights storm was the most active I've ever seen. Pretty happy/satisfied for the moment but do hope there's more to come.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

A couple of sneaky showers now startIng to fire up near the Channel Islands, nothing much but could bring the south into play later.

Posted

Yea, there's no chance of seeing storms today/tonight either. 

Unless anyone can say otherwise? 

I'm tired of the same crap every year. 

Posted

I suspect the road out the front of the Mailbox will be flooded, as it's prone to doing that in any heavy rain.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

I've also given up, it was looking promising with the cloud build up earlier but the suns gone and quite a cool breeze so looking less likely. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, Swansonson69 said:

Why not wait and watch how things develop? As much as I love storms there is more to life then the weather and it will always feel as though nothing is going to happen if things are over-analysed, I think you must have posted over 50 times today?

At the end of the day the weather does what the weather does, I went 4 years without seeing a storm, that's just the way the dice rolls sometimes.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Dan the Man said:

I'm a couple of miles south of them watching from my balcony. The speed at which it's growing is spectacular to watch. The updrafts must be very strong. The anvil is extending south and what looks like a healthy inflow belt to its SSE or it's just backbuilding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
4 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

I'm a couple of miles south of them watching from my balcony. The speed at which it's growing is spectacular to watch. The updrafts must be very strong. The anvil is extending south and what looks like a healthy inflow belt to its SSE or it's just backbuilding.

It's back building,  the storms have been popping up very similarly over Northants in the last few hours and moving on to flood Brum and beyond.

Watching them from the production line just west of Northants has been fascinating.