Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Well I'm awake and it feels humid finally and I already see signs of instability in my area. Just got to wait for them storms now. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

10352C1A-9C77-49A5-BCB0-A65B11CF3944.thumb.png.f0b58ffea9aa3dec5e1e7d53af606209.png

Grazeley it is then  

I think I'm going to stay where I am since I'm seeing signs of instability already. It's already feels pretty humid and the temp is already in the 20s with a dew point of 14.9°c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Last night was amazing, easily the best storm I've seen in over a decade. So much lightning, rain, thunder, hail... the whole lot! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Last night was typical of my luck over recent years. The London storm was approaching Oxford but seemed to lose it's energy as it went through. Nothing but rain all night for me. Still I'm on the edge of today's MDT zone so here's hoping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Different forecasts mentioning completely different areas again today. Nobody knows what they are doing arg!

Reloading rain radar and lightningmaps seems the only way to go...

Posted
2 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Well what a night for me!!!! Lol. So glad I made that trip down from Wrexham to see that storm. It was absolutely AWESOME! My hubby loved it too. I went out at the beginning of the storm and was running up and down the southern perimeter of Heathrow filming it then the rain came. So I dashed under the cover of the hotels underground parking and filmed it from there. Amazing. Watching 3 storms to the left, right and centre banging out constant lightning and constant rumbles of thunder.  My little boy missed the first hour but when I went back to the room he woke up and was terrified. So I took him to the window and BOOM a massive fork across the sky and he shouted “WOWWWWW mummy that was AWESOME!!” So off outside we all went again and spent another hour watching it. He is now not afraid of storms and wanting more today Hahahaha. Just fabulous (not that you can tell ;-)) Haven’t watched the video properly yet. This is the only still I have that will let me post on here  due to file size. 

C1E0DF0F-BA3C-443A-BB50-73AD9239B15F.png

I'm glad it worked out for you! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

I'm glad it worked out for you! 

Thanks. It sure did work out for me. I’m absolutely buzzing and knackered lol  

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Streaming Ac over Norwich 

That's good news for me because that puts me slap bang in the path if storms come from your direction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Glad you got something to make the chase worthwhile

I was looking at heading toward Milford On sea at one point - literally had it in my sat nav but by then the first cells over the far west were pushing away.

I turned tail and headed back towards Portsmouth and watched as the French cell split leaving the gap over the channel.

Excitement once again as the sferics appeared in the void and it looked game on but the strange very eastward path made them all head toward Bournemouth and it would not have been worth chasing that far.

Saw the reading cell light up but it was just a discreet short lived cell. Still impressive to see it from so far away and would have seen more if it wasn’t for the member of the public who decided to 3-point turn and then driving at 10mph in front of me all the way up to my observation point. Parked up moments after the last flash... Thanks for that mate!

By the radar it looked like the cells just underneath brighton were moving on direct course for where I was (Waterlooville) but the magic skies had other plans and while frequent flashes could be seen, the storm was mostly obscured my mid-layer cloud.

Got some not particularly good photos and had a 4/10 lightshow from there while I watched, but I’ve seen far more spectacular storms from here (April in particular was probably a 8/10. A disappointment considering what could have been.

I was surprised not to see the other cells from London and distant to the west - but realised as I headed back towards Guildford that this was because of persistent rain which was falling in what should have been an active thunderstorm heading up through Petersfield NWwards.

Occasional distant flashes could be seen all the way back up the A3, but no forks as the rain was making visibility poor and it was all elevated anyway.

Kick myself for not just pushing up into London area at this point to but I figured after such a poor chase earlier it was better to wait for our turn back in Guildford.

however, despite finding a new (stoner-free ) vantage point close to home the same story as before. Storms too distant for any good pics and anvils obscured by mid level rain producing mess.

Giving up is never easy but by this point nowhere was available to buy a much-desired can of beer and the radar was essentially telling me to **** *ff (having sent all storms around us up to this point).

What’s weird is the temps haven’t really changed I held out some hope for newly energised cells over Le Havre - but Portsmouth got those hours later and I figured Lady Luck had been heartily laughing continuously at my efforts for many hours at this point and needed a rest - so I headed home.

What was weird though it how little the temperature has dropped (was 16/17° when I went to bed at 3am) which historically has meant some kind of follow-up storm - like in April where I got to watch the magnificent anvil pass by over the Farnborough/Basingstoke area. So far... you guessed it.... nothings!

Against my initial thoughts last night I have decided to cancel this mornings plans to head into town and keep and eye on developments, as it’s still exceptionally humid here and the sun’s out. This situation did us no favours yesterday but hey - a daytime storm would be welcome today on so many levels, and - like I say - it’s not like I can get any less storms from this than I already have so I guess it’s all to play for...

Frustrating night for us in the Gap. I started at Odiham airfield and could see activity in all directions. Headed out to Reading and saw some nice shows from the short-lived cell there. Then headed a little further southwards to Alton & Winchester. Again - loads of activity all around but couldn't head further south. Was hoping the strikes in the Brighton direction would make their way up towards Fleet but they died a death. Headed home and caught a few lovely looking skies as they lit up over Farnborough. But that was it really. Not really any opportunity to get the camera fixed on any activity as it seemed to be swirling around but never coming in the right direction. But heigh-ho. It was still good to see the skies light up in the distance and hopefully there is still a little more to come. And very exciting to read all the posts from those lucky enough to get in amongst it all (even if I am a wee bit jealous!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Good morning,

Well what  a night! Me and a couple of friends traveled from Rushden down to the Dunstable downs as a middle ground for any chasing, also it was a good high up position for seeing anything in the distance. About 10pm we could see the storms flashing away over London and decided to head just north west of London close to the M25, this was a good choice. We then kept slightly a head of it as we headed to Aylesbury and then headed back home for about 2am as the we could see it would be following us. So much lightning to view, it almost hurt your eyes, will not forget this storm in a hurry. Fingers crossed for more this way today!

Peter

33574464_10156325634824054_2718875385411403776_n.jpg

33579909_10156325635049054_7625913230904262656_n.jpg

33642787_10156325634939054_5682075882445864960_n.jpg

33662825_10156325635189054_3417926891028348928_n.jpg

33676129_10156325634814054_2393477655065264128_n.jpg

33738009_10156325634949054_3644925584888299520_n.jpg

33745581_10156325635089054_3425294168690262016_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Lots of cloud around this morning. That won’t do our chances today much good. 

Ah well, shouldn’t be greedy after last night! Anything today I will view as a bonus. 

Posted

Well that was a nice hour of thunder and lightning that will do bit happier now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm in Birmingham at an event in the Metropole, the storm at 2.40am was awesome! Another attendee took this:

https://twitter.com/SudoWolf/status/1000581292071768065

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

So happy with how last night went down, Best storm chase ive had in the uk thats for sure. wish i had made it up to dunstable downs though! Anyway bring on the next batch, feeling like florida out there today

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Frustrating night for us in the Gap. I started at Odiham airfield and could see activity in all directions. Headed out to Reading and saw some nice shows from the short-lived cell there. Then headed a little further southwards to Alton & Winchester. Again - loads of activity all around but couldn't head further south. Was hoping the strikes in the Brighton direction would make their way up towards Fleet but they died a death. Headed home and caught a few lovely looking skies as they lit up over Farnborough. But that was it really. Not really any opportunity to get the camera fixed on any activity as it seemed to be swirling around but never coming in the right direction. But heigh-ho. It was still good to see the skies light up in the distance and hopefully there is still a little more to come. And very exciting to read all the posts from those lucky enough to get in amongst it all (even if I am a wee bit jealous!)

Spot on - exactly how it was!

Maybe something during daylight hours today fingers crossed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Cloud beginning to thin out with signs of high level instability now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
51 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Well what a night for me!!!! Lol. So glad I made that trip down from Wrexham to see that storm. It was absolutely AWESOME! My hubby loved it too. I went out at the beginning of the storm and was running up and down the southern perimeter of Heathrow filming it then the rain came. So I dashed under the cover of the hotels underground parking and filmed it from there. Amazing. Watching 3 storms to the left, right and centre banging out constant lightning and constant rumbles of thunder.  My little boy missed the first hour but when I went back to the room he woke up and was terrified. So I took him to the window and BOOM a massive fork across the sky and he shouted “WOWWWWW mummy that was AWESOME!!” So off outside we all went again and spent another hour watching it. He is now not afraid of storms and wanting more today Hahahaha. Just fabulous (not that you can tell ;-)) Haven’t watched the video properly yet. This is the only still I have that will let me post on here  due to file size. 

C1E0DF0F-BA3C-443A-BB50-73AD9239B15F.png

Great stuff! Ironically I think Wrexham also got hit by the same set of storms ? 

London was definitely the best place to be though.