Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted

Watching the radar last night it was insane how we managed to miss literally everything! We were ripe for something nasty, but it just didn't hit. How we managed that amongst a sea of sferics, I will never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
9 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Apart from distant rumbles of thunder, and one flash of lightning, we had nothing else again.

Don't understand why that gap appears, very strange.

Then it reignited as it went into Wales.. Parcels of weaker instability I guess? Might get lucky from the showers developing to the SE this morning.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

An explosive sky last night, likened to strobe lighting by many in the London area.

How to rate it all the morning after the night before?

As I cast my bleary mind back over last night' events, the beauty and exceptional nature of the display boils down to the constant strobe lightning and constant rumbling thunder from high in the sky.

If you are a fan of fork lightning and thunder rattling the China cupboard this was by no means a top 10 event.

However, a third cell soon after midnight did produce many beautiful cloud to cloud forks and louder less frequent thunder.

The real quality and high ranking of last night' effort was due to the constant ( and I can' emphasise that  enough) nature of the sheet lightning and thunder, seen and heard nothing like it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Chris K said:

Then it reignited as it went into Wales.. Parcels of weaker instability I guess? Might get lucky from the showers developing to the SE this morning.

Hope so. I also hope it's got nothing to do with topography, and something killing the storms as they pass over where the gap is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

We've been boating across the North of Wolverhampton since setting off in the storm at 3am. 

To the south of us has been 2 hours of constant rumbling and lightning as the conveyor belt of storms passes.

In 30 minutes we have to turn south directly into it, waterproofs ready. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like that's it for round here for now . Still rumbling away over Wolverhampton at the moment but heading away.

Not sure whether to tempt fate and try and get some more sleep .

Posted

So whats happening today  can anything beat that  last night ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Very impressed with how quickly the line of storms have organised just to my west, maybe a chance southampton could catch some of it if it just expands a little bit eastwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
20 minutes ago, neil_b said:

Yet 6 miles away in Wenlock in an elevated south facing position I’ve had hours of thunder and lightning between 0200-0400 and this morning from about 0600.  Still nothing in Telford? I thought from the radar some of these recent cellls were tracking to my North.

Had distant rumbles but as soon as anything comes with in 10 miles it dies a death! Lookes promising half hour ago but just had the heavy rain. I have no idea why! 

Posted

Reverse psychology worked - Mother nature deciding to give a morning treat - rumbles of thunder here N of Bristol suddenly. Looking good for those N/NE of here this afternoon with how quickly these are developing.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Was kinda surprised how far North some of these storms got/developed through the night. Nice to see quite a number of storm fans out of the No Storms Club (but obviously frustrating if you’ve been missing out on the action as I know how annoying that can be).

Done well in the Solihull, Hampton-In-Arden and Coventry area with a rather big thunderstorm around 2am this morning with lots of thunder - some boomy and some crackly - with plenty of lightning. And then some further, albeit tiny, thunderstorms in the last few hours. 

Not sure if they will be anymore to come, but have to wait and see I guess. Though the sky still looks unstable.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
38 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Sorry i did not get back to those who asked where I was last night. I left my phone in the car as I filmed lightning coming in from the SE towards the Isle of Wight as I was situated just east of Bournemouth and just west of IOW in a place called Milford on Sea. Lots of lightning but the storm actually missed me to the east by a couple of miles. Still got lots of strobe lightning a and a few bolts from it with moderate thunder. 

I then went in to full chase mode and chased it towards Salisbury but the lack of major fast route put pay to me catching it up before it died.

My attention was now on the SE and London where storms had really kicked off and were pushing NW. I headed north towards my home land in the hope of intercepting them, which I eventually did around 100 miles north in and around Coventry/Warwick. 

These storms were pulsing up and down along a line pushing NW. At times there were frequent flashes, lots of IC bolts and some lovely close CG's. There was also torrential rain and hail which was awesome to drive through on the M69 when accompanied by bright flashes of lightning. I eventually stopped off at Leicester Forest East services where I filmed the storms moving away, but not before I got a close CG bolt on camera with ground shaking thunder. I have hours of footage to edit.

However I will not be editing today as today offers more opportunity for chasing! I hope most of you got somewhat of a storm fix last night but if not then we do it all again today, but maybe in slightly different places. I am hoping my home may get something as it remained totally dry here last night. To be honest though I think the main risk is just to my south and west. Even so, no need for me to drive hundreds of miles today... 20 to 30 miles into the Midlands should do it.

Glad you got something to make the chase worthwhile

I was looking at heading toward Milford On sea at one point - literally had it in my sat nav but by then the first cells over the far west were pushing away.

I turned tail and headed back towards Portsmouth and watched as the French cell split leaving the gap over the channel.

Excitement once again as the sferics appeared in the void and it looked game on but the strange very eastward path made them all head toward Bournemouth and it would not have been worth chasing that far.

Saw the reading cell light up but it was just a discreet short lived cell. Still impressive to see it from so far away and would have seen more if it wasn’t for the member of the public who decided to 3-point turn and then driving at 10mph in front of me all the way up to my observation point. Parked up moments after the last flash... Thanks for that mate!

By the radar it looked like the cells just underneath brighton were moving on direct course for where I was (Waterlooville) but the magic skies had other plans and while frequent flashes could be seen, the storm was mostly obscured my mid-layer cloud.

Got some not particularly good photos and had a 4/10 lightshow from there while I watched, but I’ve seen far more spectacular storms from here (April in particular was probably a 8/10. A disappointment considering what could have been.

I was surprised not to see the other cells from London and distant to the west - but realised as I headed back towards Guildford that this was because of persistent rain which was falling in what should have been an active thunderstorm heading up through Petersfield NWwards.

Occasional distant flashes could be seen all the way back up the A3, but no forks as the rain was making visibility poor and it was all elevated anyway.

Kick myself for not just pushing up into London area at this point to but I figured after such a poor chase earlier it was better to wait for our turn back in Guildford.

however, despite finding a new (stoner-free ) vantage point close to home the same story as before. Storms too distant for any good pics and anvils obscured by mid level rain producing mess.

Giving up is never easy but by this point nowhere was available to buy a much-desired can of beer and the radar was essentially telling me to **** *ff (having sent all storms around us up to this point).

What’s weird is the temps haven’t really changed I held out some hope for newly energised cells over Le Havre - but Portsmouth got those hours later and I figured Lady Luck had been heartily laughing continuously at my efforts for many hours at this point and needed a rest - so I headed home.

What was weird though it how little the temperature has dropped (was 16/17° when I went to bed at 3am) which historically has meant some kind of follow-up storm - like in April where I got to watch the magnificent anvil pass by over the Farnborough/Basingstoke area. So far... you guessed it.... nothings!

Against my initial thoughts last night I have decided to cancel this mornings plans to head into town and keep and eye on developments, as it’s still exceptionally humid here and the sun’s out. This situation did us no favours yesterday but hey - a daytime storm would be welcome today on so many levels, and - like I say - it’s not like I can get any less storms from this than I already have so I guess it’s all to play for...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Video 1 from last night.

Part 2

Part 3

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 5

Posted

@Flash bang flash bang etc It is unfortunate when a chase doesn't quite go to plan. I have had some very costly busts in the past, one such on Monday when I travelled all the way down to Somerset in order to see nothing as the storms all developed to my west and moved away at too fast a speed for me to catch them. 

On to today, it is already 17c with a dew point of 14c here, which for this northerly latitude is impressive for 9:45am. I think today will be a warm one as the skies overhead are crystal clear with sunshine beating down. Should provide fuel to those storm clouds if they develop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

0ver 62k lightning strikes over the past 24hrs

6aebba9f-d8fd-427e-9044-457a25f2746e.thumb.png.b53647ef116c6dcd6e96320182cca5e9.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

@Flash bang flash bang etc It is unfortunate when a chase doesn't quite go to plan. I have had some very costly busts in the past, one such on Monday when I travelled all the way down to Somerset in order to see nothing as the storms all developed to my west and moved away at too fast a speed for me to catch them. 

On to today, it is already 17c with a dew point of 14c here, which for this northerly latitude is impressive for 9:45am. I think today will be a warm one as the skies overhead are crystal clear with sunshine beating down. Should provide fuel to those storm clouds if they develop.

You think the central SE still in the running today at all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

0ver 62k lightning strikes over the past 24hrs

6aebba9f-d8fd-427e-9044-457a25f2746e.thumb.png.b53647ef116c6dcd6e96320182cca5e9.png

Some of them weren’t even Detected!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

You think the central SE still in the running today at all?

I think the main focus will be along a zone from North/Central London to Liverpool with isolated storms possible elsewhere. That line may be further north or further south though. As we saw last night, storms don't always stick to the plan.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Looks like this current storm is being sent north westwards... And avoiding me in the process. ⛈️

But the sky is VERY dark to my south. ?️⛈️

CCA5D0B1-3A84-4544-A709-D0716854F5C2.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

I think the main focus will be along a zone from North/Central London to Liverpool with isolated storms possible elsewhere. That line may be further north or further south though. As we saw last night, storms don't always stick to the plan.

Well well something’s helping those early morning storms over Salisbury way so I guess that means something

Posted

I have a lot of footage to edit and the plan is to spend tomorrow doing that, but I could not resist having a peek to see if one particular CG was caught on camera. I was pleased to see it was :) 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, tomjwlx said:

Lots of thunder here and torrential rain!

Can hear that lot rumbling to my South. Pleased we got something as these showers head up the country for what looks like an active afternoon coming up for areas North of here.

• Like 1