Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
2 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Also, apologies if this has already been posted, but levels 1 & 2 issued by Estofex for tomorrow: http://www.estofex.org/

Yup, I'm the level 2 area. That gets me excited because it's been a very long time since we got a really good storm where I am. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
11 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Just back from an excellent storm chase around Eastbourne, Pevensey and Hailsham. What a light show! And so early in the season! Couldn't get many pictures for the heavy rain, but what a great night out. 

Ps: Is anyone else getting a javascript error when trying to load LightningMaps .org? It was working fine when I left but now it won't load.

Re the lightning maps...yes! Thought the java error was my iPad been cursing at it, restarting iPad, trying different browsers.

glad I’m not alone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Farmer Dave said:

Flash! Bang! Power cut!

Brexit storm:rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Another Kent clipper said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  I have not felt confident all evening for the NW but I would guess we'd be waiting till at least 3am to find out.  I took some convection facing south east when I drove into Cheshire to see if I could see anything from high ground earlier...

IMG_20180526_205418.jpg

Looks like you’ve got a great view if anything approaches!

Where in Cheshire are you staying? (Assume from the name you’re not local )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
18 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Does it say what height the cells go up to? Other than 10KM+ - I'd be interested to know what the exact heights are for these cells.

I can bet a lot more than that,they should change the scale,maybe they are at least 20k

Posted
4 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

Yup, I'm the level 2 area. That gets me excited because it's been a very long time since we got a really good storm where I am. 

I'm near the Level 2, fingers are crossed. Especially when Retford and Lincoln are only like 20-30 mins away driving distance

Posted
3 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Got this bad boy! Now going to start heading back up, and potentially intercept that potent one thats fired up over Clacton heading towards Cambs. What a night this is turning out to be!! 

C5A31C27-1493-43B9-AA71-D9ACE7C19837.jpeg

Aye nice, I bet back in Lincoln there's some elevated lightning which would be typical lol, I dont go back till tomorrow D : Looks like its moving North?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I’m quite confident of seeing something within the next 8 hours. Going to get a bit of sleep and get up at dawn. Good to have the TAFS onBoard As Well. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I'm near the Level 2, fingers are crossed. Especially when Retford and Lincoln are only like 20-30 mins away driving distance

True, it's amazing that only a short distance seperate the levels. I really hoping we get something. 

Posted
Just now, Swansonson69 said:

True, it's amazing that only a short distance seperate the levels. I really hoping we get something. 

Yeah, the last good storm I think we had was 2015? Which lasted a good 5 hours over night starting from elevated lightning with constant flashes then then all hell broke loose. Dont think we will see that for sure but just something

Posted

Just got this out of my window in hadleigh near Ipswich. Small storm a good 20 miles away now. Couldn’t even hear thunder from the ones I was photographing. Looks like buying an iPhone X was a good idea today AED3FCA2-560C-4392-B1ED-400F6A4A9963.thumb.png.01c8f7505b8c0e35253202b451a6d65f.png

AED3FCA2-560C-4392-B1ED-400F6A4A9963.thumb.png.01c8f7505b8c0e35253202b451a6d65f.pngAED3FCA2-560C-4392-B1ED-400F6A4A9963.thumb.png.01c8f7505b8c0e35253202b451a6d65f.png

• Like 2

Posted

Think it could be a lot sooner than that Chris judging by the storms approaching B’ham

6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I’m quite confident of seeing something within the next 8 hours. Going to get a bit of sleep and get up at dawn. Good to have the TAFS onBoard As Well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
3 minutes ago, Bangers & Flash said:

Looks like you’ve got a great view if anything approaches!

Where in Cheshire are you staying? (Assume from the name you’re not local )

I'm actually living in Manchester.  I drove down to Mow Cop to see if there would be a hint of anything by the time I'd got there.

Another Kent Clipper came about from the phrase I've seen used on here.  I really need another M60 clipper..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Quietened down a lot outside, so I think I’ll turn in now, mainly because I’m knackered! 

It wasn’t a direct hit on me but still had some nice bright lightning and a lengthy period of near constant thunder. I’m counting it as my first storm of 2018. 

And let’s not forget that there’s still a good chance for a number of us tomorrow afternoon too, and it’s still only May. 

It was great to see so many others enjoying the storms too, and for those who were unlucky, don’t worry, summer hasn’t even begun yet! Long way to go. 

Night all. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
5 minutes ago, Bangers & Flash said:

Think it could be a lot sooner than that Chris judging by the storms approaching B’ham

Perhaps just put that in as a bit of a disclaimer lol. Would be nice to get something before the sun rises.  May as well stay up Then, can’t sleep anyway. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
7 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Yeah, the last good storm I think we had was 2015? Which lasted a good 5 hours over night starting from elevated lightning with constant flashes then then all hell broke loose. Dont think we will see that for sure but just something

It was 2013, I remember because I heard reports of a rain wrapped tornado because it tore the roof off a local school. I also member the fields behind my house becoming flooded. I remember it being a supercell. It was a crazy ass storm.  

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Mass developments NE of london now.

3 minutes ago, Dan the Man said:

Flights still landing at LTN. Jeez I travel all of the time, but I wouldn’t want to be in that right now! 

Been watching planes fly all night whilst it’s going on. Was even an air ambulance out no more that 20 minutes ago 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

I'm actually living in Manchester.  I drove down to Mow Cop to see if there would be a hint of anything by the time I'd got there.

Another Kent Clipper came about from the phrase I've seen used on here.  I really need another M60 clipper..

Ah OK - apologies for the bad assumption!

Everything crossed for the M60 clipper

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of distant flashes and few low rumbles now , no rain yet .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Massive storm going on here in Leamington Spa right now. Constant rolling thunder with big booms. The sky constantly alight. Torrential rain. Epic. 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Perhaps just put that in as a bit of a disclaimer lol. Would be nice to get something before the sunrises.  May as well stay up Then, can’t sleep anyway. 

Not sure of the accuracy of this but have an app called lightning alarm which seems to be picking up more sferics than blitzortung (or lightning maps although that seems to be down at the mo)

011A2526-F421-4916-B404-9EDBFB570AD0.png

Edited by Bangers & Flash
  • Like 1

Posted

These storms are still active as they trundle North West 

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1