Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted

I can honestly say if I never see another storm I cant compain after tonight.  Constant flashes literally every second for 90 mins.  Amazing I will never moan about being storm starved again!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Now this is some rain I’m under now. Getting quite frightening to be fair!!! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Getting closer and closer to me. Still appears to be moving north maybe slightly north east/west. I can't tell. Just know it's getting closer and closer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Does it say what height the cells go up to? Other than 10KM+ - I'd be interested to know what the exact heights are for these cells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I usually don't post in the storms section, and for good reason. As a child I had a paralyzing fear of storms, and as silly as it sounds a part of my brain still reacts with anxiety over storms so I dread unstable set ups like this... However, even I must admit how beautiful the lightning has been. So intense, I can't think of many events like this one. It's a shame I don't have anything (decent) to take pictures with. Very happy for everyone who got their fix tonight, now let's hope for a thunderless summer... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Should I go to sleep, or is anymore expected for the SE coastline tonight?

Posted

Just back from an excellent storm chase around Eastbourne, Pevensey and Hailsham. What a light show! And so early in the season! Couldn't get many pictures for the heavy rain, but what a great night out. 

Ps: Is anyone else getting a javascript error when trying to load LightningMaps .org? It was working fine when I left but now it won't load.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
11 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Same. 17.7C and 88% humidity...I thought that would make it ripe for a storm. Guess I need to get back to the books.

Are we the only people who missed out completely in the south?

The ingredients are all there and literally storms everywhere else. It just isn’t making sense.

Still raining. Really nothing to write home about from what I’ve seen and I’ve been driving about all over the place.

Storms too quick, too random and too elevated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thoughts on those storms reaching the NW? 

Incredibly fresh out there and doesn’t feel stormy at all but current track makes me want to leave my phone on loud to be woken by the blitzortung app (much to the dismay of the Mrs)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Really gutted been lighting here on sheppey for the last hour or so really loud booms of thunder but iam in work hopefully some more tomorrow every one else enjoy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I’m really tired but I don’t want to sleep with all this going on. Still near constant rumbles! 

It must be very elevated,barely anything is showing up on Blitzortung compared to what I’m seeing and hearing

Edited by Thunderstruck

Posted

Seems to have all died down now, just an occasional flash from the north. Think that might be it for tonight, as barometer cat has come out from under the bed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Just back from an excellent storm chase around Eastbourne, Pevensey and Hailsham. What a light show! And so early in the season! Couldn't get many pictures for the heavy rain, but what a great night out. 

Ps: Is anyone else getting a javascript error when trying to load LightningMaps .org? It was working fine when I left but now it won't load.

Yes,same here,annoying really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

It's bed time here, no instabilityl left in the sky, all energy is in the home grown mcs, I think it is one anyway.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Glad everyone else got a good show.

Sorry but I just can’t get over how unfortunate today has been for our area. I can’t afgord to spend another day chasing this weekend really. Feel like I wasted today now and it was my only real shot this weekend to get out there and enjoy it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Distant thunder here now , seeing faint strikes off to the south west so assume that's the storm over Hereford .

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Well, I'm nearly 67 years old, and I have NEVER seen and heard anything remotely like that in the UK (and possibly anywhere) before. Quite extraordinary - for the first SW London hit we had (as well as some pretty torrential rain) 35+ mins of intense activity from 11 pm or so, with continuous thunder and almost continuous lightning during the middle 15-20 mins. And then a shorter-lived action replay about an hour later - a mere 40 strikes a minute during the middle of that one.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Yup, rather annoying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Who said tonight was going to be a bust? AHA 

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3

Posted

We never normally get storms like this around here it's totally amazing, to say the least, Even the aircraft are having no choice but to fly through it coming into London Luton Airport, it was quite scary watching them fly overhead with lightning all around them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
6 minutes ago, Bangers & Flash said:

Thoughts on those storms reaching the NW? 

Incredibly fresh out there and doesn’t feel stormy at all but current track makes me want to leave my phone on loud to be woken by the blitzortung app (much to the dismay of the Mrs)

I've been wondering the same thing.  I have not felt confident all evening for the NW but I would guess we'd be waiting till at least 3am to find out.  I took some convection facing south east when I drove into Cheshire to see if I could see anything from high ground earlier...

IMG_20180526_205418.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Take a look at Europe's lightning strikes.......

now look at the UK:D

not often you see that,uk the storm capital of Europe at the minute.

• Like 3