Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Was outside in the field seeing well developed cumulonimbus clouds with dark bases and loads of rumbles.

Then got drenched running back to the house which was fun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

I'm sat on the clifftop in highcliff, I can see Cumulous building out on the horizon, with possible thunder heard 

• Like 1

Posted

Still reasonably sunny in Salcombe! Can see the tops of the clouds looking towards Dartmoor. By all accounts some places further north of here taking a bit of a pounding!

Wind has really picked up the past hour and a half, really gusting now. Tree in our front garden is blowing all over the place.

Feels like we may be in for something later on but let's wait and see...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well we've got the silly weather warning on our forecast. Soon expecting severe sunny spells and severe fog later. At least you lot are getting something.

1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Isn’t there supposed to be some sort of destabilisation in the channel at some point? Or is it all down to that franch storm now?

This has better hit the central south otherwise what was the point of it being hot and humid all day  

That was the initiation that occurred about an hour just off shore although the second trough. I need something near Le Harve to fire and be steered this way!

1 minute ago, Alderc said:

That was the initiation that occurred about an hour just off shore although the second trough. I need something near Le Harve to fire and be steered this way!

That said radar does have some echos mid channel again! I might head to the cliff top.

5 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

I'm sat on the clifftop in highcliff, I can see Cumulous building out on the horizon, with possible thunder heard 

Surprised as nothing on the lightning network! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, Alderc said:

If that was the case this isn’t anything like a lot of the forecasts I saw. Nothings happened or indeed is currently happening in the channel at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Isn’t there supposed to be some sort of destabilisation in the channel at some point? Or is it all down to that franch storm now?

This has better hit the central south otherwise what was the point of it being hot and humid all day  

Well I'm looking at some nice skyscapes to my south , and I'm liking what I see

I can only assume they are the tops of the storms over in France, and if the are then wow, as they are still quite far inland

Edited by Christchurch storm nut

Posted

One of the towers drifting towards Weymouth an hour ago.

Still Cumulus going up over the sea and some iceing of the tops but it's messy and they are weakening. Although cumulonimbus can be seen at a distance to the South east over the channel.

DSC_0113.JPG

• Like 7

Posted

Okay the channel has rain showers, but i’m Failing to see how we will get a 4 hour night time storm from this.

i’m going to huff off to a pub and find a pint...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, R Alto said:

Still Cumulus going up over the sea and some iceing of the tops but it's messy and they are weakening. Although cumulonimbus can be seen at a distance to the South east over the channel.

DSC_0113.JPG

See that first ledge? I walk all the way around that, in to the bay the other side, then around to the second ledge - great fishing around there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A few convective spits. 

Not looking good so far....still...the night is young 

1 minute ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

Well I'm looking at some nice skyscapes to my south , and I'm liking what I see

Heading Bournemouth clifftop for a poke About.

I can see the French storm from my apartment - amazing it’s a hundred plus mile away! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:

According to the meto forecast radar, the mass of moisture coming off the channel should intensify and develop some thunderstorms with it. So an important hour or two coming up

image.thumb.png.185d6969ff86d1872d0c2dbf227cc63c.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, R Alto said:

DSC_0113.JPG

It was always going to be messy convection - was hoping the storms would fire first, but I’ve watched cells collapsing for a couple of hours now.

Holding out for something to kick this all into gear before 10pm...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Distant thunder heard from Salisbury plain......will post up some lovely anvil pics to my s/se  shortly