Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Big storm just gone through in Saltdean ( NR Brighton) some super forks and shotgun thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Quite a potent little cell came through here. Several rumbles of thunder, nice lightning bolts and hail which was just smaller than a 1p coin. Looking forward to the main course which may arrive in a few days time 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Only one distant rumble of thunder heard here in St Leonards-on-Sea about 20 minutes ago, the skies looked so promising as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Can see this to the east.

B39A745A-43B1-40EF-9D9C-705E8836F75E.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

I am miss out on the thunderstorms over in Warminster in Wiltshire  

We'll miss out today Tom, but we should be cooking on gas over the weekend. :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

The explosive development of the storms along the south coast, look very impressive on the Sat24.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Could see the Sevenoaks cell from the A2 on the journey home and could still see it when I got home. It's absolutely huge. Incredibly humid and hot here. No idea on the temp but at a guess I'd say high 20's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

How is overnight looking for the SE?

Not good. Everywhere I’ve looked shows nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Oh poo.

Oh well give it a few days we will be like Italy

Now Italy has some great storms, especially in the mountains!

8 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Not good. Everywhere I’ve looked shows nothing. 

Hopefully it'll all go bang this weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
16 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Now Italy has some great storms, especially in the mountains!

Hopefully it'll all go bang this weekend.

I’ve seen a couple of lists of Airbnb properties overlooking Lake Como, I really wanna book one for like a week and use it as a base to chase some proper storms in Italy one day.

That would be totally rad

• Like 1

Posted

How severe are the storms this weekend likely to be?

please don’t tell me we’re having more of these annoying pulse things - SO hard to track

I’m grateful for anything but seriously they drive me nuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I’ve seen a couple of lists of Airbnb properties overlooking Lake Como, I really wanna book one for like a week and use it as a base to chase some proper storms in Italy one day.

I'm planning on going to the usa for a week or two at some point, renting a car and going chasing. It's years off though because money. Also, I'm not sure the car rental place would approve but I'm sure I could figure something out!

My other plans include trying to catch the northern lights in the uk . It's difficult but not impossible and I have chased them before on occasion but unfortunately the predicted geomagnetic storm never happened.

As for the weekends storms there seems plenty of cape potential at this stage but will have to see how other things (sheer etc) develop nearer the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
17 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I stayed near there last year. Absolutely gorgeous weather. A storm developed near us but above us was clear sky.  But what was really cool was that we could see the storm miles away but the sound that boomed through the mountains was like it was right on top of us. Would have been deafening if it actually was.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I stayed near there last year. Absolutely gorgeous weather. A storm developed near us but above us was clear sky.  But what was really cool was that we could see the storm miles away but the sound that boomed through the mountains was like it was right on top of us. Would have been deafening if it actually was.

That kinda happened yesterday - in farncombe (where I was watching the storm coming out of London...)

Obvs not an exotic place like in Italy, but I could hear the thunder rumbling around an I was nowhere near the actual cell in fact it was clear blue sky all around me.

i think it was bouncing off the hill in front of where I was sat (or something clever like that)

• Like 1

Posted

So next storm opportunity - tomo night!

Looks like sweet spot will be central parts of the south later in the night where storms will be most widespread. Lack of shear is potentially an issue (so we’re likely to be stuck with storms of the pulse variety) BUT it’s a storm opportunity all the same

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just had a very brief look at Friday and see some torrential Precipitation showing up for my location. Maybe a continental trough/MCS or something? 

Posted

Bit quiet in here considering the chances for later on this evening.

Work was a nightmare got stuck on site over near Eastbourne so I’m considering hanging about for a few hours and keeping an eye on the radar.

Probably head on over towards Selsea area as otherwise it’s a 2 hour drive cross-country to get home...

Fingers crossed we get a nice little opening event overnight to usher in the coming week of convective opportunities!

⚡?⚡? (......)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer plumes, thunderstorms

Looking forward to the potential later this week with the bonus it being a bank holiday weekend. Booked next Tuesday off work on the off chance it will be either hot or thundery.

In the shorter term, will be keeping an eye on the radar this evening to see if any elevated activity pops up. Looks like it could be fairly similar to a night in April a few years back where elevated storms kicked off over the thames estuary/North Sea and drifted west into the South east. Could see the Anvil of a cell lighting up over Chelmsford way and watched it get closer before more developed overhead. 

• Like 2