Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I am up a well known pointy tower in London until about 3pm today - then I have my van parked at Woking from where I can chase for a couple of hours.

Then it’s all eyes to the south east overnight for some patchy chances of electrical showers from the continent.

Not bad chances for the first day of a potentially exciting week of weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
30 minutes ago, Michellelovescats said:

was that the one a month ago sat night 21st april? that one started at 7pm here (south coast near iow) and went on til nearly 2am came from france (we had some short spells without storms but most of that time there was at least distant lightning)

Thats the one friend. It literally got inside the M25, just outside audible/visual range then all activity just stopped dead.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Thats the one friend. It literally got inside the M25, just outside audible/visual range then all activity just stopped dead.

Yep didn't do anything east of East Sussex either, only rain for us.

• Like 1

Have to say the radar doesn't look promising, a lot of messy, undefined returns piling into the south east, cloud cover could easily ruin the day genuinely as well as convectively speaking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Have to say the radar doesn't look promising, a lot of messy, undefined returns piling into the south east, cloud cover could easily ruin the day genuinely as well as convectively speaking.

The SR model shows this (not perfectly) but there or thereabouts. Showers start to crop up ahead of that, and turn very heavy across Hampshire and Dorset around 4/5pm.

Posted

I know this is for UK based convection but looking at the charts and some serious eye-candy charts over the continent pretty much every day. IF some of that energy particulairy later on could make it over here to the UK.....................

3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The SR model shows this (not perfectly) but there or thereabouts. Showers start to crop up ahead of that, and turn very heavy across Hampshire and Dorset around 4/5pm.

Agreed, not often we need to look to the east, north east! I don't think I have a suitable storm watching spot on that side of the house!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
16 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Agreed, not often we need to look to the east, north east! I don't think I have a suitable storm watching spot on that side of the house!!

I'm busy in the garden today - needing to do some fibreglassing. It's a 'do I' or 'don't I' situation though, as it needs to be done quickly, but I don't want any rain to effect it. My cam is pointing to the East, so I can quickly check on it from time to time. :D

A few small Cumulus clouds popping up.

Edited by Mapantz

23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm busy in the garden today - needing to do some fibreglassing. It's a 'do I' or 'don't I' situation though, as it needs to be done quickly, but I don't want any rain to effect it. My cam is pointing to the East, so I can quickly check on it from time to time. :D

A few small Cumulus clouds popping up.

My office at JPM faces NE, I can see some Cu starting to pop up.

Posted

Got 360° view atm but the glass on these windows is quite dirty (London air) so visibility isn’t great.

what I can see is high level murky cloud so from a convective viewpoint I don’t think London will do perticularly well out of this today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Clouds bubbling up here readily at the moment and shown well by sat24 which indicates rapid development from the Southern Pennines down to the Midlands, presumably along a convergence zone?

Much sharper, crisper convection now occurring over the East Dorset / West Hants border, wouldn't bet against some radar echoes becoming evident in the next 30minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Has been cloudy and not massively warm all day. Can't see us getting much out of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Can't say I've ad any of that rain and I'm directly below where it's meant to be.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Lauren said:

Can't say I've ad any of that rain and I'm directly below where it's meant to be.

Could be that high level stuff that evaporates on the way down?

Virga I think.

(dunno if that shows up on radar, and not sure the conditions are right to support it)

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

i do right towards dover castle, but no sea view towards france anymore.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

same it hasnt rained here either, just a dry cloudy mist earlier.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Spitting with rain here. 

It is wet. 

Posted

1st heavy shower here in northern Hampshire. Big heavy drops but no rumblings....yet.