Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Flow Smart station

Posted
17 hours ago, trebor said:

I'm looking forward to both of your views and opinions on these units and to them being in stock for order. They look like good weather stations I hope they work well and last longer than most of the other stuff on the market today.

please don't make me wait I'm no good at it.

Ok to save your trepidation... I powered mine up last night. Couldn't get the air unit to register with the hub, but hey a fresh day a fresh set of eyes and it's going today. So not fully in place as I'm testing it. Seeing differences to existing system with higher air pressure and temperature right now (unit is not in a screen). Oddly enough the wind is a different direction to the present direction it is coming from, so possible siting issues, but still way to early to be sure. Output from the unit can be seen here https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/5053/grid   and my other unit data is in the signature. It does seem hardy, I think my biggest issue is mounting the temperature sensor as it's currently using the slotted groove on the bottom of the unit to mount. Early days yet(even hours) and still time to play. Will be interesting to see what happens when Mapantz gets fired up.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

So initial reactions, a well priced unit considering the functions it has to offer, and I'm still experimenting with siting the temperature sensor. The main unit I have at the top of a 18ft pole and so far seems stable. Given the way the unit records moisture, I have concerns about the pole it is on as it needs to be firm to avoid vibration, and given we are yet experience any decent wind I can't tell if it will read moisture incorrectly. Moving the unit yesterday did generate 50mm of rain!! One weakness I have noted is the battery compartment locking mechanism, given it's a sliding plastic latch that isn't a solid a feel as I'd like, I can see some longer term issues with it, although hopefully battery replacement shouldn't be too frequent. Not sure how tough the plastic case will be over the duration, hoping the plastic is UV resistant, especially the cover on the light sensor. But so far apart from these points I'm impressed with it.The next generation of weather station is definitely here..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

So initial reactions, a well priced unit considering the functions it has to offer, and I'm still experimenting with siting the temperature sensor. The main unit I have at the top of a 18ft pole and so far seems stable. Given the way the unit records moisture, I have concerns about the pole it is on as it needs to be firm to avoid vibration, and given we are yet experience any decent wind I can't tell if it will read moisture incorrectly. Moving the unit yesterday did generate 50mm of rain!! One weakness I have noted is the battery compartment locking mechanism, given it's a sliding plastic latch that isn't a solid a feel as I'd like, I can see some longer term issues with it, although hopefully battery replacement shouldn't be too frequent. Not sure how tough the plastic case will be over the duration, hoping the plastic is UV resistant, especially the cover on the light sensor. But so far apart from these points I'm impressed with it.The next generation of weather station is definitely here..

What weather station are you using on your live conditions link in your signature?

Just comparing both units the weather flow station is only 0.3c higher, are you using some form of radiation shield for the temperature sensor?

I'm a bit of a weather station addict and may be interested in trying one of these.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow
5 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

looks hopeful so far, as you say some things will take time to evaluate. Am I correct in saying there is no solar panel / charger with these units so they run on battery all the time? unlike the davis stations.

Hope you get some rain and lightening soon  to finish off the initial testing. 

Posted
1 hour ago, trebor said:

looks hopeful so far, as you say some things will take time to evaluate. Am I correct in saying there is no solar panel / charger with these units so they run on battery all the time? unlike the davis stations.

Yep no solar panel pure batteries, with the recommendation to run lithium cells, but does have a readout on the app of the battery voltage. Will be a bit of a pain having to climb the pole and replace the batteries, but hey ho..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still definitely going to buy this. I guess I will be paying $324 for it when it goes on general sale. Only £250 at the moment. I wonder if you can buy the sky separately. Was thinking of just buying that For now and keeping the Netatmo for the temp/humidity since I have it sited well. Can’t be bothered to figure out a way to make a shield as I’ve never done that  before. 

Posted
20 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

What weather station are you using on your live conditions link in your signature?

Just comparing both units the weather flow station is only 0.3c higher, are you using some form of radiation shield for the temperature sensor?

I'm a bit of a weather station addict and may be interested in trying one of these.

Hi, I have a La Crosse unit currently (not rated by anyone but it has served me for years). Both temp sensors are fixed to a pole but buried inside a Virginia creeper on the pergola in the garden, kinda like a natural shield, good airflow and avoids direct sunlight. Whilst it’s not scientific it has provided a point in the garden that gives a stable reading.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I still haven't got around to setting mine up. I have been busy with a PC build amongst other things. Also, still waiting on some materials for the radiation shield - possibly today. It's unlike me not to get a station up and running quickly, just had other priorities. 

re batteries; Using the lithium ultra's should give 18 months - 2 years from both sensors.

Weatherflow are in the process of finishing a worldwide map of their stations, a bit like Netatmo's. I hope it gives the ability to hover over a station to show it's data, as well as being able to go directly to the station.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Part 1 sorted. I've just got to wait for the spray paint tomorrow.

20180903_201001.thumb.jpg.cfc98a5cbbfcc15812f64036598e698c.jpg

@Mapantz is that of you own design & making, looks good. Any chance of sharing the design after testing, even a couple of photos for ideas of the fixing method? Keen to review options for the shield as nothing I've found in the commercial market is big enough to take the AIR unit...You could of course commercial market them, as the number of users will only but grow onc the items goes on general sale!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
52 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

@Mapantz is that of you own design & making, looks good. Any chance of sharing the design after testing, even a couple of photos for ideas of the fixing method? Keen to review options for the shield as nothing I've found in the commercial market is big enough to take the AIR unit...You could of course commercial market them, as the number of users will only but grow onc the items goes on general sale!

Yep. My design. I'm currently using an 86mm holesaw to cut out the center so the module can fit up inside. I've also drilled 4 holes on the bottom plate so that I can attach my 80mm fan. I've sprayed a couple up - likely to give it 3 coats, but it does go on well. Just t aking a break at the moment because it's festering warm outside - sweating the proverbials off!

I will indeed post screen shots showing tools and parts needed. It's pretty simple and cheap.

Here's the plates: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06VWCLFTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 10. They are very rigid and strong, so it makes it easy to drill holes etc

I bought a 1m length of M5 threaded rod: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREADED-METRIC-BAR-STUDDING-ROD-CONNECTORS-NUTS-WASHERS-CAPS-ZINC-MILD-STEEL/111967771657?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410908118111&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also bought some M5 flat washers, M5 nuts from the same person.

M5 dome nuts: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-M14-M16-M18-M20-STAINLESS-STEEL-A2-DOME-HEAD-CUP-NUTS-NUT/111316530653?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410306674446&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

30 M5 nylon spacers (20mm long): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M2-5-M3-M4-M5-WHITE-NYLON-SPACERS-PLASTIC-STANDOFFS-ROUND-THICK-WASHERS/323327974017?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=512392878001&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Looks ace Mapantz, thanks for sharing all the above info!

Keep us updated with results vs your other stations.

Posted
4 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Looks ace Mapantz, thanks for sharing all the above info!

Keep us updated with results vs your other stations.

Yes thanks @Mapantz, today I bought 15 x 6" flower pot saucers, scheming I can build a similar screen. Time will tell, but I've been practicing spraying on the car so I figure a quick spray covering of the saucers will work. Need to get some spacers, going to go down the plastic rod threaded bar route to minimise any heating effect, but similar idea...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I've got the air sensor inside and the fan running. It's not fully fixed on to my post yet as I need an another L bracket. Doh! I haven't set up the Sky module yet as I'm still debating on the exact placement to make sure of minimum wobble.

Nice and easy to set up thought.

Temp:

Davis: 18.1°C
WF: 18.2°C

Humidity:

Davis: 77%
WF: 78%

Posted

I've just installed the Sky unit, temporarily. I have a 6m pole arriving at the end of the week, so a bit of ground work to get that up, then i'll transfer it over. It will record rainfall while you're putting it in place. However, you can remove all data from Sky to treat it as a new installation, which is helpful.

All fine & dandy so far.

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/5153/grid

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Anyone have any idea what the station does in the event of snow. Can the haptic rain sensor record the snowfall? It would be so awesome if if it could tell you the type of precipitation and even  the size of the crystals/drops. 

Posted

Good question, I'm not sure, given it's a rare event down here on the south coast, I think I'll stick with the time honoured method of a tape measure. But I'll search around and see if there any comment on this.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
30 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

@Mapantz, how did you manage to read a lightning strike on your unit?

Could've been my headtorch that I was using when light was fading. Lightning detection sensors are very prone to false reports due to so much electromagnetic in many items. It's exactly the same as my Strike Alert handheld detector, that will go off occasionally, even under blue skies.

I did read that the sensor will eventually settle down. I don't know if there's an automated calibration system for that yet. The temp/humidty has one in place, and it'll come to the Sky unit in a firmware upgrade next month.

ps; Davis and WF stations have identical temps right now, and it's been like that for the past 4 or 5 hours.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Could've been my headtorch that I was using when light was fading. Lightning detection sensors are very prone to false reports due to so much electromagnetic in many items. It's exactly the same as my Strike Alert handheld detector, that will go off occasionally, even under blue skies.

I did read that the sensor will eventually settle down. I don't know if there's an automated calibration system for that yet. The temp/humidty has one in place, and it'll come to the Sky unit in a firmware upgrade next month.

ps; Davis and WF stations have identical temps right now, and it's been like that for the past 4 or 5 hours.

Thanks my reason for asking was that a unit in Brockenhurst also had a strike reading, and I wondered if I missed it. 

Posted
On 02/09/2018 at 16:30, trebor said:

A recent question asked on the support forum about battery life expectancy suggested around 8months using the "normal" update frequency of every 3secs. If you switch to power save mode on the app, which changes the update frequency to every 15secs, and that should increase the life expectancy by 3-4x.

Posted

Another word of warning be careful where you site the AIR unit. I was out gardening today and a cut branch fell and knocked the pole holding the unit and suddenly I had 0.6mm of rain! Does need to be situated somewhere where it won't get knocked or receive false vibrations.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Another word of warning be careful where you site the AIR unit. I was out gardening today and a cut branch fell and knocked the pole holding the unit and suddenly I had 0.6mm of rain! Does need to be situated somewhere where it won't get knocked or receive false vibrations.

You mean the sky unit?