Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Flow Smart station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

That's good, after moving my SKY unit and bolting the pole (multi-section aluminium pole) together then fixed to a concrete fence support, I saw a rain measure this morning aligned to a gust. It still seems aluminium poles permit too much movement for the rain sensor. Damn, seems like a new pole is the only way forward. :(

Interesting. Perhaps you're getting extreme vibrations from the movement? Mine has been swaying a good few inches left & right during 30mph gusts and it doesn't cause any rainfall. 

Posted
On 19/09/2018 at 11:38, Mapantz said:

Interesting. Perhaps you're getting extreme vibrations from the movement? Mine has been swaying a good few inches left & right during 30mph gusts and it doesn't cause any rainfall. 

A good test this week for the unit, a few more tweaks to the environment seems to have stabilised things quite a bit, much less vibration, a fair amount of sway but much less error generated rainfall. Still noted that we are reading much lower rainfall amounts than our other stations are collecting, so some way to go yet with that side of things I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 02/10/2018 at 22:22, Mapantz said:

New beta map is available: 

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/map/

Rich in information when you click a location.

@Mapantz, did I see on your station that lightning only strikes during the week, or do you some registered over the weekend. Just thought it might give a clue as to the possible generator.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

@Mapantz, did I see on your station that lightning only strikes during the week, or do you some registered over the weekend. Just thought it might give a clue as to the possible generator.

It does it every day of the week, Db. It's usually 3 - 4 times every 24 hours. I've put my handheld lightning detector out there too, although it does register a strike at the same time as the WF station, it does pick up occasional interference. Sort of past caring now as there's nothing I can do.

Posted

Do like the weatherflow in rainfall conditions, where I can quickly see which direction the rainfall is coming from. How so? Simples - by checking the graph output, I am able to see that measurable rainfall started here 10mins after @Mapantz's unit so the rain is coming from the west. Simples - yeah I know but it does reflect it's consistency in reporting,as our units often chase one another across the measurable spectrum.

• 1 month later...
Posted

I've been in conversation with WeatherFlow about the anemomter + wind & rain. It causes issues with wind speed and wind direction. What happens is that water begins to bead on the underside of the anemometer during wind events that accompany rain. This beading then wobbles and the ultrasonic sensors pick this up and send wrong measurements. It happens with a lot of ultrasonic anemometers.

WeatherFlow have been working on solving this issue. Firstly, they are pushing out a firmware update to a lucky handful of stations, including mine, to help test it out. Also, they have been testing a hydrophillic coated Sky unit that flattens these beads of water out, and apparently in testing, it is working very well. They have offered me a chance to test this.. I can only presume that they'll send me a unit with this coating on.

It all sounds bad for a weather station, doesn't it? However, WeatherFlow are constantly working on this station and improving it by interacting with users who own one. This is great as you won't find many other weather station manufacturers working this hard to iron out issues - apart from Davis. I tip my hat to them for that.

I'll keep you posted!

PS: Temperature/Humidity/Solar/UV measurements are first class! I cannot fault them, providing you have adequate shielding of course.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

@Mapantz It will be interesting to see what happens as mine has gone crazy over the last few days, reading double the amount of rainfall, looking at today for yours you have measured 2.7mm and I have 4.4mm. Here's hoping for some stability soon.

Posted
11 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

@Mapantz It will be interesting to see what happens as mine has gone crazy over the last few days, reading double the amount of rainfall, looking at today for yours you have measured 2.7mm and I have 4.4mm. Here's hoping for some stability soon.

Rain readings haven't been too bad for me. My wind readings today, though, have been crazy. It's just shown a gust of 43mph, but mostly over 30mph, but there's hardly any wind. I've never been a fan of ultrasonic anemometers, and that's why I would never buy the expensive one for the Davis station - it does the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 06/12/2018 at 13:36, Mapantz said:

I've got two new Sky units on the way.. 

One for you and one for me? The rain on mine is all over the place Up/ down you can take your pick...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

One for you and one for me?

lol
I have a new normal one coming, as mine has a hardware fault with wind speed. The second one is the new test unit with the hydrophilic coating on. I'm also being sent two types of mounts, one is firm and one is soft. I'm not 100% sure, but I think one of them is to try to eradicate vibrations.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

lol
I have a new normal one coming, as mine has a hardware fault with wind speed. The second one is the new test unit with the hydrophilic coating on. I'm also being sent two types of mounts, one is firm and one is soft. I'm not 100% sure, but I think one of them is to try to eradicate vibrations.

Jeepers I hope so, the rain reporting on this configuration is "not good"...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm glad they are still out of stock I would have ordered one by now and I think I would have regretted it.

Would you say the concept of the thing is ok and the problems can be sorted out  or are they starting to look like something to avoid?

Posted
8 hours ago, trebor said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm glad they are still out of stock I would have ordered one by now and I think I would have regretted it.

Would you say the concept of the thing is ok and the problems can be sorted out  or are they starting to look like something to avoid?

They are working on it...

Posted

Yeah. It's a tricky one. I wouldn't say avoid it, it's a great station. I'd still have it over my Netatmo station, any day. First thing to mention, (as long as you have it shielded) the temp & humidity are absolutely spot on. In fact, the TH sensor is the same as the one found in new Davis stations. UV and Solar are also very accurate. The rain gauge is where it get's sticky. I'm lucky enough to own a Pro2, so I use that for the most accurate data I can record. I wouldn't rely on the WeatherFlow station as your main one for data storage. Even WeatherFlow themselves state this - it's more for the hobbyist. I'm just having some issues with the wind, but the CEO of WeatherFlow says that they could see a hardware fault with mine, and they are replacing it with a new one at no extra charge.

I have to commend the company though, their customer service is as good as you could possibly get! They are working alongside testers and folks who own them outright to keep on developing it, and refining it. Both the design and software. There's algorithms being put in place with firmware updates to increase accuracy and to learn at the same time. I don't know of any other weather station manufacturers that are working this hard?!

They're also in the process of making new add on's for both outdoor modules - a solar panel which can be added to the mounting system to charge batteries in the modules.

bf3c400d5763e0aa86ffcbdbf49b2b942540fe4a.thumb.png.42fc5e11721865dd5822d122cfa280f6.png c44ea7c5aab98c7f73ed36101386909aac49772d.thumb.png.66e7fdf0487de9dbcfc9d9cb0a75227e.png

An indoor unit will be on it's way too. 

I really can't fault WeatherFlow to be honest, and that's not me being biased, I would tell any company their product is crap if I really thought it was.

Just now, Mapantz said:

Yeah. It's a tricky one. I wouldn't say avoid it, it's a great station. I'd still have it over my Netatmo station, any day. First thing to mention, (as long as you have it shielded) the temp & humidity are absolutely spot on. In fact, the TH sensor is the same as the one found in new Davis stations. UV and Solar are also very accurate. The rain gauge is where it get's sticky. I'm lucky enough to own a Pro2, so I use that for the most accurate data I can record. I wouldn't rely on the WeatherFlow station as your main one for data storage. Even WeatherFlow themselves state this - it's more for the hobbyist. I'm just having some issues with the wind, but the CEO of WeatherFlow says that they could see a hardware fault with mine, and they are replacing it with a new one at no extra charge.

I have to commend the company though, their customer service is as good as you could possibly get! They are working alongside testers and folks who own them outright to keep on developing it, and refining it. Both the design and software. There's algorithms being put in place with firmware updates to increase accuracy and to learn at the same time. I don't know of any other weather station manufacturers that are working this hard?!

They're also in the process of making new add on's for both outdoor modules - a solar panel which can be added to the mounting system to charge batteries in the modules.

bf3c400d5763e0aa86ffcbdbf49b2b942540fe4a.thumb.png.42fc5e11721865dd5822d122cfa280f6.png c44ea7c5aab98c7f73ed36101386909aac49772d.thumb.png.66e7fdf0487de9dbcfc9d9cb0a75227e.png

I really can't fault WeatherFlow to be honest, and that's not me being biased, I would tell any company their product is crap if I really thought it was.

I'm sorry mumspantz looks like a sex toy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Sounds like it still worth upgrading from my Netatmo then  from what you say. Will wait a few more months though; see how things are then. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

I’d agree with @Mapantz whilst not perfect yet, they are working hard to get it right. Just one concern that at some point you need to sell lots of kit to make money. Right now whilst still selling I see a point whereby the ongoing rectication of matters might slow their income down, however if these updates are just code releases then the cost is low. If as in the case of the rain sensor it ends up as replacement cycle it could be costly for both them and us. Ongoing development as asked by owners into the addition of the battery charging unit, would need a replacement cycle for owners to get such functionality unless it becomes an add-on at a cost. I’m hanging in there right now as the Davis is just outside of my household spending justification

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow
18 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I’d agree with @Mapantz whilst not perfect yet, they are working hard to get it right. Just one concern that at some point you need to sell lots of kit to make money. Right now whilst still selling I see a point whereby the ongoing rectication of matters might slow their income down, however if these updates are just code releases then the cost is low. If as in the case of the rain sensor it ends up as replacement cycle it could be costly for both them and us. Ongoing development as asked by owners into the addition of the battery charging unit, would need a replacement cycle for owners to get such functionality unless it becomes an add-on at a cost. I’m hanging in there right now as the Davis is just outside of my household spending justification

I started looking at weatherflow because I was unhappy about the quality of the Davis stuff and I don't think the price is much cheaper than the vantage vue, so I think it will be quality and reliability not price that tempts people to purchase over the Davis stations.

The concept of the haptic rain sensor being a new idea was always going to be the thing that worked or didn't so I hope they get it sorted because the idea sounds good to me, fewer moving parts means less to go wrong. Does anybody in contact with the company know when or if the station will be available to order in the UK, is it stock or the sensor problems that is the hold up?

Posted
9 hours ago, trebor said:

I started looking at weatherflow because I was unhappy about the quality of the Davis stuff and I don't think the price is much cheaper than the vantage vue, so I think it will be quality and reliability not price that tempts people to purchase over the Davis stations.

The concept of the haptic rain sensor being a new idea was always going to be the thing that worked or didn't so I hope they get it sorted because the idea sounds good to me, fewer moving parts means less to go wrong. Does anybody in contact with the company know when or if the station will be available to order in the UK, is it stock or the sensor problems that is the hold up?

I suspect it's more about manufacturing the items, as it seems on sale for the USA, but in Europe we are driven to use a different frequency band for the transmitters so I suspect that as with the first batch of devices they produce the EU ones after they produce the USA ones. One problem I think is the USA trade wars as the manufacturing is done in China (correct me if I am wrong @Mapantz) so of course getting the sensors could prove a challenge..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
23 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

My two Sky modules left Daytona beach, Florida, two days ago, and they are now out for delivery - amazing!

Like they‘ve had a ride on the jet-stream. 

Edited by Chris.R

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 10/12/2018 at 16:00, Mapantz said:

My two Sky modules left Daytona beach, Florida, two days ago, and they are now out for delivery - amazing!

Any update on the performance of the replacement item?