Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Flow Smart station

Posted

These look pretty good and reasonable price too.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations#
There's a discount currently if you are quick, but it might be 'smarter' to see how the production units are performing in a few months time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 hours ago, 4wd said:

These look pretty good and reasonable price too.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations#
There's a discount currently if you are quick, but it might be 'smarter' to see how the production units are performing in a few months time.

I've been waiting 8 months to take delivery of this, still no word! The idea is to replace my Netatmo with it. 

Posted

Just had an email with some confirmation, so it shouldn't be too long before it begins shipping.

PS - we have begun the shipping process. Busy confirming addresses, boxing and bundling orders at the factory, ensuring smooth logistics for international delivery. You will receive an email with tracking information once your package is shipped. 

Posted

For about £166 with discount, it's tempting, but it sounds like to get decent temperature accuracy the base unit ideally wants to be in a louvred enclosure, keeping 'in the shade' will get mixed results. There has also been some issues with the rain detection, I'd like to hear more real world reports.
Weather-Display seems to be compatible with it so should be feasible to dovetail within existing data. 
The lack of moving parts to block up and break is the main plus point, and discrete unobtrusive size.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, 4wd said:

For about £166 with discount, it's tempting, but it sounds like to get decent temperature accuracy the base unit ideally wants to be in a louvred enclosure, keeping 'in the shade' will get mixed results. There has also been some issues with the rain detection, I'd like to hear more real world reports.
Weather-Display seems to be compatible with it so should be feasible to dovetail within existing data. 
The lack of moving parts to block up and break is the main plus point, and discrete unobtrusive size.

I've already got a pretty good homemade aspirated shield, which my Netatmo module is in. I get pretty much the same results as my Davis'. I'm just fed up of the accuracy and slowness of the updates of wind and rain. The WF updates fast, and it has a great API. A friend of mine has already coded the API within his weather template, so when I get mine, I'll link it all up. It'll be nice to display the data, especially the lightning strikes.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I will be buying this soon, also to replace my old Netatmo which is looking a bit worse for wear. Sold out atm so just have to be patient. 

Posted
9 hours ago, Chris.R said:

I will be buying this soon, also to replace my old Netatmo which is looking a bit worse for wear. Sold out atm so just have to be patient. 

Remember this is a crowd funded project, so whilst they are still shipping the original crowd fund, they may take a while to begin again, unless they have become a product based company.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks cool. My netatmo outdoor station died ages ago (kept draining batteries in like 24 hours) this looks interesting but no option to buy!? still in development?

Posted

It's been developed and is shipping (albeit slowly), it is a crowd funded project as I mentioned, so like Mapantz I subscribed. As for future productions runs, I suppose it depends if they are millionaires yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

They are an  established company though  and they do  sell other products. I’ve been monitoring the project for the last few years and they seem to be up to the mass production stage now. 

Posted

At the moment, they are shipping the American and Canadian frequency models first. As Europe and some other countries use a different frequency, they are being built separately. Also, many backed the original 'air' sensor before 'sky' was put in to production, now that the sky units have been produced, those are being sent out before any complete packages. I'd expect at least another couple of months before we get notification of any shipping details.

An indoor unit called 'breathe' is also in the testing phase, that's supposed to be released in the Autumn. As a pure guess, the whole package will probably become available to the public at the end of the year.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Certainly looks pretty smart, may well purchase one when they become available.

Posted

PRE-ORDER SHIPPING UPDATE

As of date: 25 June 2018
Total Backers completed: 1936
To be shipped: 877
Awaiting address confirmation: 51

915 mHz SKY only: 1119 backers shipped (18 remain to send)
915 COMPLETE: 559 backers shipped up to approx IGG #1800 (671 to send)
868 mHz SKY only: 176 backers shipped (5 remain to send)
868 COMPLETE: 82 backers shipped up to approx IGG #1291 (183 to send)

915: US, CA, AU, NZ, HK, JP, SGP, ISR, TWN
868: EU +

Production update: Our contract manufacturer continues to produce some stations with parts on hand, however, we were notified on Thursday 21 June that a parts supply order containing critical sensors and radio parts are currently still held up in customs in China. Inevitably, this will cause delays in the delivery of the remaining stations. The degree of delay is pending customs clearance. Here’s a summary of the details we know:

Details: back in December 2017, we ordered all final parts to build 3500 complete stations. In March 2018, our contract manufacturer asked us to re-source critical parts which were either sold out from electronics distributors in Asia or had long lead times. To expedite, we located the parts from suppliers in the US, purchased all stock on hand, and air freighted to China. The parts were delivered to the port of entry in early May. An import broker in China has been trying to clear the parts through customs without success citing increased US-China trade friction. We do not know all the details yet, but will tell you when we learn details. Upon learning of the parts held in customs we immediately began a search to order from another supplier; unfortunately the solar sensor part is sold out and unavailable right now (we purchased all stock available previously and it’s being held in customs, dammit).

Again, we do not know all the details on the parts order stuck in Chinese customs — but these parts are critical to complete the remaining weather stations to be delivered. We are investigating all means to extricate the held shipment and/or source replacement parts. We’ll post all known facts to this forum. We don’t have the information required to accurately predict when the remaining shipments can be delivered at this time. If you have questions, concerns, criticism, conspiracy theories, whatever – we welcome a productive dialogue. And if you happen to have a large stash of Broadcom APDS-9200 solar sensors definitely call us today.

27 June Update: Good news just in. Our parts shipment has been successfully retrieved from Chinese customs. The parts shipment is currently with our broker in Hong Kong. Researching alternative way to get the parts into China and delivered to Shenzhen factory. Will post what we know, when we know it.

Just thought i'd also mention.. had a look at a world map of weatherflow stations, I spot some in the UK that have both the air and sky sensors now. The UV/Lux/Solar radiation data looks pretty accurate from what I can see. Good news!

Edited by Mapantz

• 1 month later...
Posted

Just shipped out another batch of ~400 stations. This batch should complete all pre-orders for US, CA, AU, NZ, Israel, Singapore, Taiwan, and Japan.

Approx 210 orders remain to be delivered. The vast majority of which are to Europe. Production to fulfill these orders is in final phases. We hope to ship these within the next week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Update August 20 The remaining ~200 weather stations bound for pre-order customers in Europe have been produced and dropped off at the shipper in Shenzhen for processing. We are awaiting tracking numbers. Once we have the tracking numbers, we will upload into BackerKit and email all recipients.

Update 22 August
As noted previously, all remaining pre-orders bound for Europe have been dropped off at the shipper in Shenzhen. They process, sort, and prep for various international flights to Europe. We have just received the tracking number assignments, but we will wait to upload and email them as most are in a pre-shipment state and say “Processing - Shipment information received”. Once all the tracking numbers have shipping data (ie. “2018/8/22 - Shipment departed Shenzhen, en route to GB”), we will then email tracking numbers so that recipients have something tangible to be excited about.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I've just had confirmation that my weatherflow station has been shipped! :D

Must be on the same plane out of Hong Kong as mine then :)

Posted
17 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Must be on the same plane out of Hong Kong as mine then :)

Hopefully it'll be here next week, as I see it has arrived at Heathrow.

2018-08-25.thumb.png.0d0ae65eb4b34cc7e0747fce16131259.png

Posted

You’re making me jealous now. I wish I’d had enough money to pre-order it when the exchange rate was good. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

You’re making me jealous now. I wish I’d had enough money to pre-order it when the exchange rate was good. 

I don't think it'll be long before general production starts, as the one's (including mine) were the last batches of pre-orders.

I think i'm going to order a few bits & pieces to make a new aspirated radiation shield. The current one that I made is looking a bit worse for wear, although it does a great job.

Here's my plan:

Buy 8 - 10 of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-15cm-CLEARANCE-Carpet-Saver-Saucers-Planter-Dish-Tray-Accessory/323311761483?hash=item4b46e1f84b:g:cUsAAOSwF25bK6q2

Drill a central hole in 9 of them, and keep one solid for the top. I will drill 3 holes through each of them so that I can slide some metal threaded rods down:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-THREADED-ROD-FULL-THREAD-STUDDING-BAR/222981248585?hash=item33eab7d649:m:m6_HL3gQ-Gzbi0F7G7Iwygg

Between each plate, I will put a nylon spacer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nylon-Plastic-SPACERS-Standoff-Washer-M2-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-Pack-of-12/301400291143?hash=item462cdb7747:m:m1GbPQeVXwcJFjfirvHMT8A

I'll also attach a PC fan at the bottom of it which will run at 6 volts. I'll spray all of the plates with a decent paint (UV protective if possible).
I will have to make an L bracket out of some steel to hold it and screw to the post i'll be using.

It all sounds straight forward, but no doubt it'll end up like this..

15934053.thumb.jpg.299a8db0730292542998fcbca2924bf0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It has arrived! @Dorsetbred

20180829_120244_HDR.thumb.jpg.2b669209105fda90af06c9e467bbe1fe.jpg

Looks just like mine, must have been on the same lorry.. Now I need to buy me a pole to stick it on as the one I'm using is 1 1/4" and I think this needs a 1" pole, so caliper out tonight to check on the pole I need, and a new mounting bracket, then I need to figure out how I am going to mount the temperature module for best result, as I haven't got a box with a fan on :(

My wife reckons I'm "trusting" having ordered something so long ago, and waiting for many months for it to arrive! Yup!

Are they planning on doing more runs of this gear or was that it? I seem to remember there was another module spoken about for inside the house, but never seen anymore about it.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Looks just like mine, must have been on the same lorry.. Now I need to buy me a pole to stick it on as the one I'm using is 1 1/4" and I think this needs a 1" pole, so caliper out tonight to check on the pole I need, and a new mounting bracket, then I need to figure out how I am going to mount the temperature module for best result, as I haven't got a box with a fan on :(

My wife reckons I'm "trusting" having ordered something so long ago, and waiting for many months for it to arrive! Yup!

Are they planning on doing more runs of this gear or was that it? I seem to remember there was another module spoken about for inside the house, but never seen anymore about it.

I'm hanging fire setting mine up (as much as I don't want to) I'm still waiting on my parts to make a radiation shield. Also, I've ordered a 6m, 1 inch stainless steel pole. I was thinking of buying a shorter piece that is a slightly wider diameter and concreting  it in to the ground. I can then slide the 6m pole down in to it and use bolts to secure it. It'll make it easier for maintenance then.

Posted
23 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I'm hanging fire setting mine up (as much as I don't want to) I'm still waiting on my parts to make a radiation shield. Also, I've ordered a 6m, 1 inch stainless steel pole. I was thinking of buying a shorter piece that is a slightly wider diameter and concreting  it in to the ground. I can then slide the 6m pole down in to it and use bolts to secure it. It'll make it easier for maintenance then.

Yep, have my 18ft on order, and wall brackets for fixing, along with plated V brackets. Got all that on the go, and have hit the radiation shield challenge. Stevenson boxes are so expensive and for one unit way too much. The sensor is too big for most proprietary plastic radiation shields so I'm back to the drawing board on that one. Lithium batteries just arrived, so might dummy something up to test things, soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

I'm looking forward to both of your views and opinions on these units and to them being in stock for order. They look like good weather stations I hope they work well and last longer than most of the other stuff on the market today.

please don't make me wait I'm no good at it.