Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do so many people on here prefer the grey cold weather?

Sunny76

Posted

Different strokes for different folks, which is fine and all...

but one thing that bugs me tremendously about Netweather are "coldies" celebrating dismal, cool weather in Summer in the Model Chat thread etc, yet if we were to celebrate milder weather during the winter months, they would absolutely lose their collective s**t.

I think it was March just gone; someone in the model thread was looking for any signs of spring and got absolutely torn apart by the coldies, even though March is technically a spring month. In September/October you can guarantee coldies starting to appear in the model thread looking for the first signs of cold..but that's fine apparently. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that these people are narcissists who revel in other people's misery.

• Like 1

Posted

All I would like is a decent cold snap or 2 in winter, and between May - Sept, 2 or 3 nice warm spells but nothing too extreme (Except the storms)

Posted

The ignore user feature works wonders I find (although it can make some threads suddenly appear really sparse and quiet). There are certain users who are rather prolific in reiterating their enjoyment of dull, damp and cool weather in every single thread and some of them come across as if you have a different opinion then you must be wrong.

I don't understand it either though. We've had a run of pretty rubbish summers in most parts away from the very SE and perpetual Autumn weather is just dull and boring if nothing else  I would just love for the UK to have 3 weeks' of pleasant, settled weather but that seems impossible on our annoying, wet island.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

It's not so much 21C that I need, it is a balance.  If I see a forecast of 2 rainy days followed by 2 sunny days, I can cope knowing the sun will be out soon.  Let's face it, we live in the UK, not Spain.  The grass is green here for a reason.

I struggle when the extended forecast is showing a rain symbol every day for a week.  That has happened a few times this year.  I agree people have different thresholds for the kind of temperature they enjoy.  There is a lot to be said for 10-14C and sun with a light breeze.  You can do hard outdoor work without raising a sweat. 

Posted

People just have different opinions on what is 'good' weather.  I'm from Scandinavian stock and I get too warm if it's over 24C outside.  I'm in shorts and tee shirt when it's 18C or over.

What really, REALLY p1sses me off is people saying 'Coldies do this' or 'Mildies do that'.  No, that's utter rubbish.  A small number of people on this forum are a little forceful with their opinions but that doesn't mean that everyone with those opinions should be labelled as such.

It's personal preference.  Example - I strongly dislike avocadoes.  But I don't go around criticising avocado lovers or trying to tell the world that eating avocadoes is wrong.

And you can always choose to just ignore the people whose opinions you don't like..... just saying.....

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

but one thing that bugs me tremendously about Netweather are "coldies" celebrating dismal, cool weather in Summer in the Model Chat thread etc, yet if we were to celebrate milder weather during the winter months, they would absolutely lose their collective s**t.

I think it was March just gone; someone in the model thread was looking for any signs of spring and got absolutely torn apart by the coldies, even though March is technically a spring month. In September/October you can guarantee coldies starting to appear in the model thread looking for the first signs of cold..but that's fine apparently. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that these people are narcissists who revel in other people's misery.

I like my winters cold and summers hot, but I’ll welcome a mild winter of 10-15c to spite the coldies for winter 2018/2019 ?

Posted
5 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

The ignore user feature works wonders I find (although it can make some threads suddenly appear really sparse and quiet). There are certain users who are rather prolific in reiterating their enjoyment of dull, damp and cool weather in every single thread and some of them come across as if you have a different opinion then you must be wrong.

I don't understand it either though. We've had a run of pretty rubbish summers in most parts away from the very SE and perpetual Autumn weather is just dull and boring if nothing else  I would just love for the UK to have 3 weeks' of pleasant, settled weather but that seems impossible on our annoying, wet island.

Sick people lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
16 hours ago, Azazel said:

Well you have to bear in mind that getting "real" cold in the UK is incredibly difficult (unless you live in scotland that is). Getting heat though is sadly a lot easier.

There are people who chase above average temps right through the winter, just like there are those that chase the opposite in summer. Its not as one sided as you make it out to be.

• Like 2

Posted

I think it’s the opposite. Getting heat is a lot  harder and less consistent.

Colder weather is more dominant in the uk, even if it’s not below 5 degrees type cold. Damp and cool weather is unfortunately a regular feature of the weather(even in London) for most of the year. Even when we record milder than average months, or years like 2002, or 2007, I always remember long periods in those two year where I encountered dull cool weather. 

So despite the fact we don’t get a very cold winter every year, like the one just gone. The UK still has to endure endless days of cool and cold weather, even when it’s not snowing. Damp windy weather even at 8-10 degrees still feels cold.

And look at how many summer months end up above average, but in recent year tend to be on the damp and cold side. 

• Like 2