Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why do so many people on here prefer the grey cold weather?

Sunny76

Posted

I’ve noticed a few people on here tend to be celebrating when we have the weather like it is today. 14-17c and grey, with a lack of sunshine. It’s not nice at all outside and my hands are starting to feel cold again.

Want a return to 21c plus weather with sunshine. 

Posted

Plus it’s bloody depressing having to sit around in this current weather feeling uncomfortable, especially when it’s breezy. 

I work outside, and to be honest pretty fed up with the lack of warmth this year. Was hoping the warm spell of recent days would last longer.

Posted

Think yourself lucky, 10c here and raining! After 3 day's of lovely weather back to the cold and wet. We've had a lack of warmth for getting onto a year now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

I prefer sunshine. But when you get high pressure any time outside of winter, you get the muck of last week. You have to bear in mind that this is the UK. In the NW, the peak summer average is 19c. London is only 22c. Warmth is always sourced from europe. usually iberia. and its laced with humidity on top. I don't relish the thought of sweating and struggling to sleep any more than you relish grey and wet.

Rain is depressing I agree. I just see it as the lesser of two evils and it really helps.

Edited by Ice Man 85

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes I am baffled by some of the comments by some on this site.Sure some people like cold rather than heat ,have come to the conclusion that they were born with a different thermometer but there seem to be an abnormal majority of netweather members who seem to be like this.For me I cannot understand why you would crave cool or sunless weather when the majority of the year is like this particular here in the pennines where it an eternity from the Meditteranean south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

You could also argue why do so many prefer cold snowy weather to any other weather type?..my pref is for sunshine all year round be it -30c or +30c as long as the humidity is low i'm good to go

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I prefer sunshine. But when you get high pressure any time outside of winter, you get the muck of last week. You have to bear in mind that this is the UK. In the NW, the peak summer average is 19c. London is only 22c. Warmth is always sourced from europe. usually iberia. and its laced with humidity on top. I don't relish the thought of sweating and struggling to sleep any more than you relish grey and wet.

Rain is depressing I agree. I just see it as the lesser of two evils and it really helps.

My partner can’t work when it’s raining. Her job is weather dependant, so a wet day means no work. Dull and slight drizzle is once in a while is fine and the odd wet day, but I don’t like weeks of dull weather with one or two wet days on a weekly basis. This just makes for depressing weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

London is only 22c.

July averages 24c in London, August 23c.

Unless you mean the average high of June, July, August and September combined, in which case it is 22c.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes I am baffled by some of the comments by some on this site.Sure some people like cold rather than heat ,have come to the conclusion that they were born with a different thermometer but there seem to be an abnormal majority of netweather members who seem to be like this.For me I cannot understand why you would crave cool or sunless weather when the majority of the year is like this particular here in the pennines where it an eternity from the Meditteranean south.

Well we all perceive temperatures differently. I am warm at 12c. PE teachers can wear shorts at 0c. Some people are still in duffel coats and fleeces in the mid-high 20s. If you have a different explanation for such phenomena, then I'd like to hear it.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Well we all perceive temperatures differently. I am warm at 12c. PE teachers can wear shorts at 0c. Some people are still in duffel coats and fleeces in the mid-high 20s. If you have a different explanation for such phenomena, then I'd like to hear it.

its simple genetics...peoples who live generally closer to the poles..over thousands of generations have developed a stronger tolerance to cold than those who's origins are from warmer climates.  an example when there is a rare outbreak of cold in the Indian sub continent and temps fall below 16c there is huge surge in hypothermic death..here 16c is an average summer day..like wise temps above 35c causes a spike in heat related death here that wouldnt  happen in India.

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

its simple genetics...peoples who live generally closer to the poles..over thousands of generations have developed a stronger tolerance to cold than those who's origins are from warmer climates.  an example when there is a rare outbreak of cold in the Indian sub continent and temps fall below 16c there is huge surge in hypothermic death..here 16c is an average summer day..like wise temps above 35c causes a spike in heat related death here that wouldnt  happen in India.

I must have lived in Reykjavik in a former life then :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Great for sleeping between night shifts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Wind and sunshine are significant for me. I'm less bothered about the temperature as long as it's not silly hot or chilly from now until late September, as long as it's sunny. Unusually, I'm quite tolerant of both cold and hot. I'm not a fan of high humidity but seeing as it's rare that it accompanies uncomfortably high temperatures, it's not so bad.

Some people on this forum make it sound like we live in Singapore lol!

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Wind and sunshine are significant for me. I'm less bothered about the temperature as long as it's not silly hot or chilly from now until late September, as long as it's sunny. Unusually, I'm quite tolerant of both cold and hot. I'm not a fan of high humidity but seeing as it's rare that it accompanies uncomfortably high temperatures, it's not so bad.

wouldn't say its rare. Was still 17c last saturday night here. the daytime maxim was only 20 or so. Not much of a drop.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve noticed a few people on here tend to be celebrating when we have the weather like it is today. 14-17c and grey, with a lack of sunshine. It’s not nice at all outside and my hands are starting to feel cold again.

Want a return to 21c plus weather with sunshine. 

Last Tuesday was perfect here around 21c, just two days later it was up to nearly 29c with rising humidity, for me it became uncomfortable to work in, like you working outside. Hey ho, its the weather and we all react differently to the same conditions.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

wouldn't say its rare. Was still 17c last saturday night here. the daytime maxim was only 20 or so. Not much of a drop.

Humidity was generally very low in the last spell. Only Saturday did the humidity rise a bit before the storms arrived here (down here anyway).

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Humidity was generally very low in the last spell. Only Saturday did the humidity rise a bit before the storms arrived here (down here anyway).

Just humid here. No storms :sorry:

Edited by Ice Man 85

Posted

It didn’t feel humid apart from Saturday evening, but it’s still early in the year. April humidity doesn’t come close to the warm muggy nights we would experience between late May and late August. 

The humid and hot nights of last June I did find a little on the uncomfortable side. And I’m a fan of heat and sunny weather.

That said, I was a fan of the cold snowy weather in February.

Posted

Indeed, we haven't had the warm/humid combination for very long yet this year. The warm snap just gone was very pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I can't speak for everyone but I only enjoy grey cold weather when I want to preserve snow cover. Other than that I'm not a huge fan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I love cloudy, windy, and wet weather, when the wind is rustling through the trees and there's a spray in the air. Love going out for walks in it, it's nice to "feel" that kind of weather. I also find many thick, leaden cloudscapes to be quite beautiful.

What I like less is a featureless, cloudy canvas on a still day, with no rain. It's perhaps one of the only kinds of day-to-day weather that I dislike.

At the other end of the spectrum, I appreciate sunshine and warmth, but heat less so. I love a still day in early Spring where the air is cool but the sunshine carries some warmth. Heat can be nice from time to time (especially if it results in thunderstorms), but also irritating in other ways.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

I could happily live in Singapore even though humidity is exceptionally high..has to be the cleanest and one of the most friendly cities i have ever visited...bonus is that literally everywhere including buses, subways and even underpasses are air conditioned

Posted

On a practical level cool weather is more comfortable to operate in for me ( as long as it's not raining ). Like most people on here, the weather involves thinking about the statistics, we just can't help it, right? I have a preference for cool weather because it goes against the bias of warm events in this global warming environment and makes things statistically more interesting. Out of season coolness is great, I treat it like a faux victory over the trend which is happening in the other direction.

• Like 1

Posted

I’m the opposite. I always wish for a 1983 style, and when it comes off like a 2002 or 2011, 2007 or 2012, it just makes me feel depressed. 

After enduring 4 or 5 months of dull dreary weather between October and March, I usually look forward to spring and summer as a relief from all the miserable stuff. So, when it comes to May and June, and we still encounter dull and sometimes cooler conditions, it’s just frustrating. 

Without rain, you can still get things done, and I understand the appeal behind a cloudy cooler day which is dry, as there’s less people out and about(crowded areas in the sun, is a downside of the warm weather) but I do prefer the sunny and warm weather. 

We don’t get enough of it in this country, despite the warming trends.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Styx said:

On a practical level cool weather is more comfortable to operate in for me ( as long as it's not raining ). Like most people on here, the weather involves thinking about the statistics, we just can't help it, right? I have a preference for cool weather because it goes against the bias of warm events in this global warming environment and makes things statistically more interesting. Out of season coolness is great, I treat it like a faux victory over the trend which is happening in the other direction.

A warmer world doesn’t necessarily mean warmer weather. In some regions it means more unsettled conditions and sometimes cooler.