Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Recommended Posts

Created this forum for anyone to send in and talk about the remarkably late spring we've had and how dormant things were up until this week. ☺️

IMG_20180421_083602480_HDR.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can see how delayed the foliage is on the marathon coverage. A typical year would have everything fully leafed out within the next week. This year it looks like it'll be May before that happens.

Edited by B87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it makes a nice change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Growing up i wouldn't expect trees to come into leaf until end of April beginning of May anyway..trees don't come into leaf here until the end of May beginning of June

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's certainly not true for here it's always tended to be the middle of March not the end of April and certainly not the end of may.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2018 at 11:10, B87 said:

You can see how delayed the foliage is on the marathon coverage. A typical year would have everything fully leafed out within the next week. This year it looks like it'll be May before that happens.

Yep totally agree with you I took pictures last week of the heat withbare trees which doesn't happen often 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am sure that years recently such as 2010 and 2013 which both had similarly late springs must have been similar.In fact I remember 2013 being later than 2010 with yellow fields in April.I did come across an article a couple of years discussing Daffodill flowering dates and the latest by a margin was 1979 and I certainly remember 1986 being very late after the coldest of any month since 1963[February],a cold March and the coldest April for 90 years.another notable being 1996 which also had a very cold spring .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

Am sure that years recently such as 2010 and 2013 which both had similarly late springs must have been similar.In fact I remember 2013 being later than 2010 with yellow fields in April.I did come across an article a couple of years discussing Daffodill flowering dates and the latest by a margin was 1979 and I certainly remember 1986 being very late after the coldest of any month since 1963[February],a cold March and the coldest April for 90 years.another notable being 1996 which also had a very cold spring .

Yes I remember March 2013 no trees had leaves or any plants either until early April but this year seemed very late but that can probably be explained by two beast from the East weather patterns so late in winter and a very slow recovery afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember 2016 being very late, but that probably had more to do with the plants being confused by that insane December 2015. March and April 2016 were only slightly below average in temperature, and they had average sunshine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

I remember 2016 being very late, but that probably had more to do with the plants being confused by that insane December 2015. March and April 2016 were only slightly below average in temperature, and they had average sunshine.

Not as late as this year though I remember

51 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Am sure that years recently such as 2010 and 2013 which both had similarly late springs must have been similar.In fact I remember 2013 being later than 2010 with yellow fields in April.I did come across an article a couple of years discussing Daffodill flowering dates and the latest by a margin was 1979 and I certainly remember 1986 being very late after the coldest of any month since 1963[February],a cold March and the coldest April for 90 years.another notable being 1996 which also had a very cold spring .

Yes I remember March 2013 no trees had leaves or any plants either until early April but this year seemed very late but that can probably be explained by two beast from the East weather patterns so late in winter and a very slow recovery afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an interesting Spring its been. Last week felt strange walking in July style heat while seeing the trees are still naked and in their winter form. And knowing that just over one month prior I would've been shivering on an ice day in the snow. The warmth did seem to awaken some butterflies and other flying insects normally seen over the summer months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure where to obtain an average of tree leafing dates over the years, but I thought this year might be more normal than last year which was very early at least until the late April cold snap.

Later than at least the recent norm, although it's come on a lot over the warm spell we've just had, many trees coming into leaf here now.
A little bit more 'continental style' perhaps, following the weather contrast between mid March and mid April.

Trees in general never come into leaf by the middle of March, apart from a few things like Hawthorn in early springs perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

I'm not really sure where to obtain an average of tree leafing dates over the years, but I thought this year might be more normal than last year which was very early at least until the late April cold snap.

Later than at least the recent norm, although it's come on a lot over the warm spell we've just had, many trees coming into leaf here now.
A little bit more 'continental style' perhaps, following the weather contrast between mid March and mid April.

Trees in general never come into leaf by the middle of March, apart from a few things like Hawthorn in early springs perhaps.

This year certainly was more unusual than last year the trees last year where in full leaf in late March/early April and I actually said that trees tend to start leaving in mid March not the end of April which is pretty obvious so the fact that people are disagreeing is a little odd many weather sites even mention the very slow start to spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

What an interesting Spring its been. Last week felt strange walking in July style heat while seeing the trees are still naked and in their winter form. And knowing that just over one month prior I would've been shivering on an ice day in the snow. The warmth did seem to awaken some butterflies and other flying insects normally seen over the summer months.

That's how I felt too but that heat last week finally got them all out although still a couple bare ones around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In London the first trees usually come into leaf in late March (hawthorn, magnolia), but the majority start in early April, with everything leafed out by late April.

Edited by B87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B87 said:

In London the first trees usually come into leaf in late March (hawthorn, magnolia), but the majority start in early April, with everything leafed out by late April.

This year has been late no question about it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jordan smith said:

This year certainly was more unusual than last year the trees last year where in full leaf in late March/early April and I actually said that trees tend to start leaving in mid March not the end of April which is pretty obvious so the fact that people are disagreeing is a little odd many weather sites even mention the very slow start to spring.

Here in the pennines,it is an eternity from what you get in southern England,i would say we are at least 2 weeks behind you ,it is more often to get trees leafing late April than earlier and such as ash or oak it is May.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jordan smith said:

This year certainly was more unusual than last year the trees last year where in full leaf in late March/early April and I actually said that trees tend to start leaving in mid March not the end of April which is pretty obvious so the fact that people are disagreeing is a little odd many weather sites even mention the very slow start to spring.

Well I was just posting my observations and thoughts not sure why that's a problem.

It's an interesting topic though, I live in Devon but spent 3 years near SW London, and have never known trees in general to be coming into leaf in mid March. Later April into early May is when things usually green up fastest in my memory, you do get some earlier varieties but I'm talking about the predominant Oak, Beech, Ash etc.

Hawthorn and sometimes Willow can start to show leaves in March though. And of course you might have a predominance of early varieties, or non-native street/garden trees around you depending on where you live.

Last year was unusual here because some trees e.g Poplar, and a few Oaks started actually did start leafing in March which is earlier than even 2011, I remember looking at photos I've taken over the years and comparing different years, I will have to look through again when I have time.

This year was late though it's really catching up here recently, not surprising as April is running 2C above average here.. I remember some days earlier in the month where eastern/central parts had overcast weather with single figure temps and we had some sunshine and up to 15C, so maybe it's earlier down here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Well I was just posting my observations and thoughts not sure why that's a problem.

It's an interesting topic though, I live in Devon but spent 3 years near SW London, and have never known trees in general to be coming into leaf in mid March. Later April into early May is when things usually green up fastest in my memory, you do get some earlier varieties but I'm talking about the predominant Oak, Beech, Ash etc.

Hawthorn and sometimes Willow can start to show leaves in March though. And of course you might have a predominance of early varieties, or non-native street/garden trees around you depending on where you live.

Last year was unusual here because some trees e.g Poplar, and a few Oaks started actually did start leafing in March which is earlier than even 2011, I remember looking at photos I've taken over the years and comparing different years, I will have to look through again when I have time.

This year was late though it's really catching up here recently, not surprising as April is running 2C above average here.. I remember some days earlier in the month where eastern/central parts had overcast weather with single figure temps and we had some sunshine and up to 15C, so maybe it's earlier down here.

Yes I'm in the south Midlands and not one sign of life here until mid April it's only been during this heat that everything just burst to life the beast from the East patterns definitely halted spring for a while but now it's caught up nicely which I agree with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Here in the pennines,it is an eternity from what you get in southern England,i would say we are at least 2 weeks behind you ,it is more often to get trees leafing late April than earlier and such as ash or oak it is May.

 

I doubt your two weeks behind this year we only got signs of life just over a week ago but in typical years your right but I remember many years with full leafs in early/mid April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×