Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Quote

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

This month is getting on par with august 2008 for dullness.

15.7c max today and we`re in warm air unlike yesterday 15.6c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Today is good example of why living in the UK can be so irritating. Pointless cloud that just sits there doing nothing, while neighbouring countries like France enjoy beautiful sunny skies. Though it looks like clearer air is now reaching S England, hooray

57013BB7-E7B3-4120-8DE5-18C3D2046BED.jpeg

The 'joys' of living on an island in the disturbed temperate zone of the northern hemisphere

below is courtesy of our friends at Exeter!

This classification covers a range of climates from Mediterranean-type climates and humid, subtropical zones to maritime climates influenced by the oceans — like ours in the UK. A Mediterranean-type climate is mostly found on the western side of continents at 30–45° latitude. Summers can be either hot or warm, but they are always markedly drier than other times of the year. Humid, subtropical climates tend to be in the middle, or on the eastern side of continents at 25–45° latitude. Summers here are humid with plentiful rain, but winters are likely to be dry.

The UK has a typical maritime climate, where temperatures are quite moderate although hot summer days and cold winter nights still occur. Summers in maritime climates can be hot, warm or cool. In the UK we have what’s considered to be a warm summer, whereas in Iceland the season is classified as cool.

Some temperate climates have wet and dry seasons while others have no marked dry season at all. But all have four distinct seasons. This means they can experience unpredictable weather throughout the year; and, as we in the UK well know, what can seem like all four seasons in one day. This, perhaps, more than anything helps to explain the difference between weather and climate — sometimes what we get (weather) is not what we expect (climate).

Changing climate zones

Climate change will inevitably disturb the balance of Earth’s climate zones. All regions will warm but some will warm faster than others. Rainfall patterns will change. The polar and snow zones of the Northern Hemisphere are likely to change the most. This is because the loss of ice and snow in these regions reduces the reflectivity of the Earth, increasing the warming effect of the Sun. Closer to home, Mediterranean zones are likely to spread north even possibly affecting the far south of the UK.Earth’s tilt Equatorial Arid Temperate Polar

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

This month is getting on par with august 2008 for dullness.

15.7c max today and we`re in warm air unlike yesterday 15.6c

yes, pure dullness, will be with a westerly breeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, pure dullness, will be with a westerly breeze

You seem to think that each weather type or scenario is always that way which of course is 💩

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neverending summer continues in Central Europe. GFS is disgusting. Will it ever end? I guess September will be sixth summer month. Not that it matters anymore, half of the country has already turned to desert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with a previous post. This August aside from the first few days has been every bit as dull as 2008. 

Just endless cloud, slight chill and often wet. 

Glad to see that it may improve in September, as is often the way 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed for a plumey first week of September then some actual weather. August has been very boring since the hot first week. It also looks like I'm going to go the whole summer without recording thunder once - for the first time since starting records.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnholmes said:

The 'joys' of living on an island in the disturbed temperate zone of the northern hemisphere

below is courtesy of our friends at Exeter!

This classification covers a range of climates from Mediterranean-type climates and humid, subtropical zones to maritime climates influenced by the oceans — like ours in the UK. A Mediterranean-type climate is mostly found on the western side of continents at 30–45° latitude. Summers can be either hot or warm, but they are always markedly drier than other times of the year. Humid, subtropical climates tend to be in the middle, or on the eastern side of continents at 25–45° latitude. Summers here are humid with plentiful rain, but winters are likely to be dry.

The UK has a typical maritime climate, where temperatures are quite moderate although hot summer days and cold winter nights still occur. Summers in maritime climates can be hot, warm or cool. In the UK we have what’s considered to be a warm summer, whereas in Iceland the season is classified as cool.

Some temperate climates have wet and dry seasons while others have no marked dry season at all. But all have four distinct seasons. This means they can experience unpredictable weather throughout the year; and, as we in the UK well know, what can seem like all four seasons in one day. This, perhaps, more than anything helps to explain the difference between weather and climate — sometimes what we get (weather) is not what we expect (climate).

Changing climate zones

Climate change will inevitably disturb the balance of Earth’s climate zones. All regions will warm but some will warm faster than others. Rainfall patterns will change. The polar and snow zones of the Northern Hemisphere are likely to change the most. This is because the loss of ice and snow in these regions reduces the reflectivity of the Earth, increasing the warming effect of the Sun. Closer to home, Mediterranean zones are likely to spread north even possibly affecting the far south of the UK.Earth’s tilt Equatorial Arid Temperate Polar

 

 

Ooh, southern England becoming a Mediterranean climate zone? Yes, please! How wonderful.

To be fair, the experts have been saying this since I became obsessed with the weather in the early 1980’s. Hasn’t happened yet, though, with some pretty dreadful summers in the mix since then. But that’s going off tangent a bit. I moaned about the cloud that has prevailed for much of this August, it certainly hasn’t felt very Mediterranean these past few weeks with typically dull British muck returning. I realise that this is quite normal for our part of the world and that you and others may enjoy this in summer, but I don’t and never will. From a personal perspective, the UK climate would be far more tolerable if only it was sunnier. Others may disagree.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
2018 271 (up to 28th August)
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we will have a sunny day next? Yesterday: cloudy, day before: cloudy, last week: cloudy, the week before: cloudy. oh and today: guess what! - cloudy. No matter which wind direction is, even after this front: low cloud/medium level cloud. bbc: "britghter conditions to follow on Wednesday" -that can mean anything, what a genius forecast in 2018... 😂 Ramp over, waiting for the sun. 🌞 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Ooh, southern England becoming a Mediterranean climate zone? Yes, please! How wonderful.

To be fair, the experts have been saying this since I became obsessed with the weather in the early 1980’s. Hasn’t happened yet, though, with some pretty dreadful summers in the mix since then. But that’s going off tangent a bit. I moaned about the cloud that has prevailed for much of this August, it certainly hasn’t felt very Mediterranean these past few weeks with typically dull British muck returning. I realise that this is quite normal for our part of the world and that you and others may enjoy this in summer, but I don’t and never will. From a personal perspective, the UK climate would be far more tolerable if only it was sunnier. Others may disagree.

I agree. Nothing more depressing than dull and cloudy weather, even when dry. And when it rains it’s even more depressing. This August has been dreadful in London. The hot first week is where summer 2018 ended. 

 

The only benefit is cooler nights for sleeping, even if you still get the odd muggy one with all the cloud, it usually means the middle of the night and early morning will be cool. But, the flip side is, it feels like autumn when you wake up. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree. Nothing more depressing than dull and cloudy weather, even when dry. And when it rains it’s even more depressing. This August has been dreadful in London. The hot first week is where summer 2018 ended. 

 

The only benefit is cooler nights for sleeping, even if you still get the odd muggy one with all the cloud, it usually means the middle of the night and early morning will be cool. But, the flip side is, it feels like autumn when you wake up. 

Yes, it’s not like the UK is California. Can’t get enough sunshine here in most years. A lot of people seemed to find sleeping difficult this summer (not me) but the much cooler temperatures over the last 3 weeks should have helped. Shame it has to be so dreary in the daytime, though

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, it’s not like the UK is California. Can’t get enough sunshine here in most years. A lot of people seemed to find sleeping difficult this summer (not me) but the much cooler temperatures over the last 3 weeks should have helped. Shame it has to be so dreary in the daytime, though

Indeed, SB: we can do without a Santa Ana, thank you!🔥

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, SB: we can do without a Santa Ana, thank you!🔥

Very frightening. Have family in Australia that came extremely close to losing their home in a bush fire some years ago. It was only saved by my uncle standing on the roof of the house and hosing the house with water for several hours. The house next door burnt down to its foundations, along with many others. More chance of aliens landing on Buckingham Palace than that happening here 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, it’s not like the UK is California. Can’t get enough sunshine here in most years. A lot of people seemed to find sleeping difficult this summer (not me) but the much cooler temperatures over the last 3 weeks should have helped. Shame it has to be so dreary in the daytime, though

That’s been the downside of the cloudy and cooler weather since mid August. I would welcome another hot spell now, after weeks of dull weather. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
2018 271 (up to 28th August)
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251 

Based on what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very little of the forecasted sunshine in London this afternoon,looked like it was goung to pee down again a while ago.

I think this upcoming settled spell will be a cloudy dry and rather dreary affair with average temperatures.

Looking forward to proper autumn weather in a few weeks time. Proper weather to be honest. Love seeing those bad boy lows gearing up in the Atlantic and heading our way. Second only to a good NE blast in the winter.

Yes,the tedium of the last few "lovely weather is'nt it" months is nearly over tf!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Snipper said:

Based on what?

Sunshine totals, mean temperature maximum and rain days.  This is based on data for the Manchester area by the way. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Sunshine totals, mean temperature maximum and rain days.  This is based on data for the Manchester area by the way. 

 

is there any data for other areas?.. can we access it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Dutton - Weatherman✔@liamdutton

EARLY SEPTEMBER WEATHER TREND

- often high pressure
- mainly dry with sunny spells
- occasional showers for far south
- warmer than average
- widespread or notable heatwave unlikely
- chilly nights with rural frost risk
- patchy overnight fog

 

Looking quite pleasant for the foreseeable, high pressure and sunny spells sound good after the last 3 very dull weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
2018 270 (up to 29th August)
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2018 at 00:42, stainesbloke said:

Ooh, southern England becoming a Mediterranean climate zone? Yes, please! How wonderful.

To be fair, the experts have been saying this since I became obsessed with the weather in the early 1980’s. Hasn’t happened yet, though, with some pretty dreadful summers in the mix since then. But that’s going off tangent a bit. I moaned about the cloud that has prevailed for much of this August, it certainly hasn’t felt very Mediterranean these past few weeks with typically dull British muck returning. I realise that this is quite normal for our part of the world and that you and others may enjoy this in summer, but I don’t and never will. From a personal perspective, the UK climate would be far more tolerable if only it was sunnier. Others may disagree.

This!

If the days when no weather is really happening could at least be sunny, that would be so much better. So many dry days in August have been wasted by irritating cloud that should've burnt off. I fear that'll be a similar issue in September when the sun is even weaker and morning mist/fog starts appearing. If the sun was out more, the temps would be up a few degrees too which is always good lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another GFS run showing rubbish day for Monday, 16 degrees max is pants

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...