Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, cheese said:

I believe stainesbloke is moving to Czechia soon anyway so he'll finally be rid of our wretched maritime climate. Hopefully I can leave eventually too.

Yep, I’m off there later this year. Will trial it for a year then stay, hopefully. I know Prague’s climate isn’t so drastically different to London’s on paper, but in reality it’s much more to my personal preferences. Hope you get something sorted, if you’re unhappy here. 

My Czech Mum still moans about our climate and she’s lived here since 1968! ‘Summer’ days like today make her very cross, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Not a moan, and fine for any who want to moan, this is to say how good this summer has been, so far.

Today at 20.7 C, almost no sun is the 2nd coldest day since 17 June, too much heat at times for me, along with the humidity, but that is just my personal feeling, others have enjoyed it.

I am not sure how long it is since a summer as dry and warm/hot as this has been, certainly not in my records going back to 1997. I suspect 1976, not in this area but working in Manchester is probably the last time I experienced such prolonged dry weather and heat with it.

It’s been an amazing summer no doubt - I don’t have the stats at hand to back it up but I imagine best since 95 - the thing about 95 we had the heat a bit later and the August was amazing . It’s the fact it’s August and the heat has for the time being gone is perhaps giving people the glass half full feeling ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:

After the summer we have had so far its fantastic to be back into a normal UK summer,such a relief!

Today has been to cloudy granted but next week looks fine,no complaints at all. At least that vile heat has gone for good by the looks of the model outputs. Not a moment to soon.

I think most people would be happy with mostly sunny skies and temperatures of 21-27C. Trouble is, it’s often either too hot for many or just utterly miserable. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Too early to say given that FI can change but with the end of the month coming into view it would appear that here at least we will probably run down the clock on August without breaching 25C again. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, johnholmes said:

some folk are never satisfied, I know its the moans thread but really, yes grotty day here as well but more days of heat and sun than for many years.

I acknowledge that. Certainly an amazing summer here, better than any in my lifetime, perhaps with the exception of 1976. I’m very happy/grateful to have experienced it and have made the most of it. Still, I can’t help wanting more sunshine and warmth, it’s still summer. This weather is foul. We get far too much of it here, all year round.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
52 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I acknowledge that. Certainly an amazing summer here, better than any in my lifetime, perhaps with the exception of 1976. I’m very happy/grateful to have experienced it and have made the most of it. Still, I can’t help wanting more sunshine and warmth, it’s still summer. This weather is foul. We get far too much of it here, all year round.

This. 

The Summer has fallen off a cliff. Don’t know why we have to go from one extreme to the other. We went 60 days without rain here and now it’s almost constant. 

Very annoying and foul indeed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, matty007 said:

This. 

The Summer has fallen off a cliff. Don’t know why we have to go from one extreme to the other. We went 60 days without rain here and now it’s almost constant. 

Very annoying and foul indeed. 

Try the northwest  your climate is good ,went to a wedding at Cambridge  uni in deceber 2 years ago and we had temps of 18c and sunny .

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Try the northwest  your climate is good ,went to a wedding at Cambridge  uni in deceber 2 years ago and we had temps of 18c and sunny .

Yeah I get that, we have the best weather here in the South East. It’s still foul though. 

May sound like I’m constantly moaning but there’s nothing positive or nice about this weather at all. Constantly raining, cloudy and windy. Even the short times it is sunny, there’s almost no warmth. 

I don’t expect constant blue skies and 28c, would just be nice to have something remotely settled. 

It feels like we’ve been instantly transported into Autumn this week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Yeah I get that, we have the best weather here in the South East. It’s still foul though. 

May sound like I’m constantly moaning but there’s nothing positive or nice about this weather at all. Constantly raining, cloudy and windy. Even the short times it is sunny, there’s almost no warmth. 

I don’t expect constant blue skies and 28c, would just be nice to have something remotely settled. 

It came a month ago here 16 c drizzle while  200 miles away  it's 34 c , glad I'm leaving the UK in the next few years 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

It came a month ago here 16 c drizzle while  200 miles away  it's 34 c , glad I'm leaving the UK in the next few years 

Don’t blame you at all . This climate does my brains in too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
11 hours ago, matty007 said:

Chin up, it will improve for us in the south this week. 25/26c with sunny spells on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday will be cooler and showery, but then settling down again for Friday and the weekend with temperatures around 23-25c. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely 18c this morning,good breeze shifting that vile humidity,bit of cloud,perfect summers morning.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Pleasantly warm today but we have some showers passing through which is spoiling things a little. Very humid. It's like Florida but 10 degrees cooler. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted

I think the outlook is pretty decent here, generally low 20s, even mid 20s on a few days, which is why I dislike nebulous terms like 'north' and 'south' - in a UK-wide context I am neither north nor south, so while the outlook might be poor in Scotland and maybe the far north of England, I don't think that applies here at all.

Edited by cheese

Posted
On 10/08/2018 at 15:14, cheese said:

I would have a look at the GFS precipitation charts: https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations/3h.htm

Rain is shown on every day next week, not just in the form of showers but also in the form of prolonged frontal rain. In August we would typically expect rain on 2 days per week, not 7 days per week! People must be under the impression that a typical UK summer is much wetter than it actually is.

Temperatures are mostly in the low 20s which isn't bad but it's no use if there's loads of rain falling. 

See what i mean regarding those GFS charts? Nothing like what is now forecast.

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

See what i mean regarding those GFS charts? Nothing like what is now forecast.

Yes, true. I've criticised the GFS charts before for overestimating rainfall. I'm happy to be wrong on this occasion!

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Yes, true. I've criticised the GFS charts before for overestimating rainfall. I'm happy to be wrong on this occasion!

Its the same in Winter,they produce figures both temp and precipitation which are massively wide of the mark.To many jump on them and expect something special/awful,very rarely are they right.

Posted

First ‘scent’ of autumn in the air, today. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

First ‘scent’ of autumn in the air, today. 

Yeah, I noticed that too. It’s certainly coming on quick this year. Starting to notice the shorter evenings slightly as well. 

I agree with the observations that it may be quite a short Autumn this year 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

autumn effect kicking in too, clear mornings colder than the windy, cloudy damp ones, 

from now right setup, any toppling NW'ly could see the first ground frost in prone spots of the north

Posted

Can we save the autumn talk for the autumn thread? I don't want to read about it in the summer thread.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

autumn effect kicking in too, clear mornings colder than the windy, cloudy damp ones, 

from now right setup, any toppling NW'ly could see the first ground frost in prone spots of the north

Ground frost is much more likely in June than August. Most of the UK has an average of 1-5 days of ground frost in June, but 0 in August.