Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Summer Sun

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Quote

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Message added by Paul

Recommended Posts

It’s been a reasonable Summer so far. Not too much in the way of rain (bar those thundery downpours some places in the Midlands had), despite the Atlantic having been quite influential recently. Though, to be fair, the worst of the unsettled whether always looked more likely in the North-West. There is a chance of some showers and/or longer spells of rain later tomorrow and into Wednesday for places, as a disturbance creeps in from the West, especially for Northern areas.

Today, however, had been mostly bright and sunny here, but cloud became more invasive later on in the day (still cloudy at the moment with stratus-like cloud)

Certainly nice to see High Pressure coming in for revenge later on in the week stamping-out the Atlantic. Overall, High Pressure seems to have had greater power over the Atlantic in the last few weeks or so. And is possible the same could happen again. The difference is the Azores High doesn’t look like it will get as far North as it did last time with a U.K/Southern U.K based high seeming more likely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

As alluded to the cyclonic wave moving across the Pacific in the last few weeks looks to be producing a greater build of pressure over the mid-lattitudes and allowing for some lag should last the first third of July. We should see a flattening of the jet stream afterward albeit nothing that should produce a horror show. 

Afterward it really comes down the fact that if the pattern repeats then there are another two or three opportunities this summer for pressure builds that sustain for a while. If the seasonal models and analogues are correct then perhaps they believe that convection will struggle to occur outside the Indian Ocean and the trades will enhance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

It’s been a reasonable Summer so far. Not too much in the way of rain (bar those thundery downpours some places in the Midlands had), despite the Atlantic having been quite influential recently. Though, to be fair, the worst of the unsettled whether always looked more likely in the North-West. There is a chance of some showers and/or longer spells of rain later tomorrow and into Wednesday for places, as a disturbance creeps in from the West, especially for Northern areas.

Today, however, had been mostly bright and sunny here, but cloud became more invasive later on in the day (still cloudy at the moment with stratus-like cloud)

Certainly nice to see High Pressure coming in for revenge later on in the week stamping-out the Atlantic. Overall, High Pressure seems to have had greater power over the Atlantic in the last few weeks or so. And is possible the same could happen again. The difference is the Azores High doesn’t look like it will get as far North as it did last time with a U.K/Southern U.K based high seeming more likely.

Heat is heat it seems. It really makes me laugh when people in this country think its easier to get cold into here than heat. Its very much the other way around. Took a monumental event to produce a 3 day deep cold spell last winter. yet, we seem to be dragging in warm muck over and over again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/weather/period-text.cgi?2018-06

Just
to highlight the dryness as experienced elsewhere, the weather station at Cambridge University has recorded a whole 1.5mm of rainfall this month....with nothing really forecast for the rest of the month either, could be ones of the driest months on record.

The last really wet day here was the 12th May, when 17mm of the 42mm of the whole months rain fell in one 24 hour period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dry ground will help push up temperatures though not expecting anywhere beating the June record of 96f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35.7c or higher would make it the hottest June day on record

The current joint high of 35.6c was last hit in 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

35.7c or higher would make it the hottest June day on record

The current joint high of 35.6c was last hit in 1976

Or 96f 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the talk of heat next week yet we unexpectedly recorded the warmest June minimum on record last night. The min of 16.6C beat the previous record of 16.4C set on 18th June 2005.

These warm records do seem to get broken out of nowhere these days, only seven other days have had minima above 12C so far this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

 

Yes, and I was told off a week ago by saying "ridging is possible" despite the models did not show it at the time as the data input determines everything and can change everything.  It looked all doom and gloom... 😂😂😂

Edited by rain_shadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the rain in April it has been desperately dry here with just a couple of mm at the weekend has done nothing for the grass going brown in many of the parks around here and my garden.These are the sort of scenes you wouldn't see until August in a drought year.If we get a hot spell now it is going to hurt  the farmers,gardeners and growers.It certainly has been the driest period here since 1996.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Since the rain in April it has been desperately dry here with just a couple of mm at the weekend has done nothing for the grass going brown in many of the parks around here and my garden.These are the sort of scenes you wouldn't see until August in a drought year.If we get a hot spell now it is going to hurt  the farmers,gardeners and growers.It certainly has been the driest period here since 1996.

 

and watch the price of food rocket (what we actually still grow here that is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Since the rain in April it has been desperately dry here with just a couple of mm at the weekend has done nothing for the grass going brown in many of the parks around here and my garden.These are the sort of scenes you wouldn't see until August in a drought year.If we get a hot spell now it is going to hurt  the farmers,gardeners and growers.It certainly has been the driest period here since 1996.

 

2011 was drier - that year we had 12mm in March and 0.5mm in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully the models seem to have eased back on the heat for late next week, still looking very warm mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cheese said:

2011 was drier - that year we had 12mm in March and 0.5mm in April.

Maybe that is true but a dry March and April has nothing like the impact of warm summer months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warm by day and reasonable overnight in Darlo for the coming week

69892639-9b09-4d65-99e1-e1590beb298e.thumb.png.9fc6c21a5988a6475f09139d9e6a723f.png

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Lovely day

 

Nice vid tho

Have you considered wiring up a thermometer to the camera and doing some technical magic to make it show-up on the video? Would be interesting 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Aberdaron on the Llyn peninsula has almost recorded 200hrs sunshine this month so far. 

Could record 300hrs of sunshine for this month.

Edited by Weather-history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the curse of the 8's may have come to an end this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×