Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

I think looking at the models and the met outllook,sunmer is over,apart from down here where we may have another one or two hottish spells. Autumn soon to arrive oooop north.

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Autumn soon to arrive oooop north.

That's because God bestows the best weather to his own county!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

I dont.

Spring most years clearly starts before march 21st. 

I agree with weather historys post. In fact the anglo saxons whos terms we still use for the seasons ran summer ftom around may 7th until about now in august. That explains why midsummers day is june 24th. Thats clearly at odds with the later quarter days being employed. You cant have summer starting on june 21st, midsummers day june 24th... 

Despite the warmth mid aug to late sept, its very much like autumn in  nature. Plenty of berries ripe nnow, harvest is nearly all in, etc. 

The berries were ripening in late July, but that's much earlier than usual because of the heat. In a typical year I find the berries don't ripen until late August.

Posted
44 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's because God bestows the best weather to his own county!

Doesn't look autumnal to me up here, low 20s, even mid 20s for a time next week. How much rain we get is up in the air but hopefully not too much.

Think you'll have to go to Scotland for autumnal weather.

By the way, it was a lovely 23C with sunshine today - probably similar down your way I suspect. Would today be a rare day where both of us are happy with the weather?

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
44 minutes ago, cheese said:

Doesn't look autumnal to me up here, low 20s, even mid 20s for a time next week. How much rain we get is up in the air but hopefully not too much.

Think you'll have to go to Scotland for autumnal weather.

By the way, it was a lovely 23C with sunshine today - probably similar down your way I suspect. Would today be a rare day where both of us are happy with the weather?

Yes....a rare day indeed!! Next week is looking much the same after Sunday/Monday. One or two showers maybe. Who knows we may agree again about the weather!.....i need to lie down,can't take all this agreement. Nothing at all against this this type of weather in August,for me very nice,the word usable springs to mind.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, cheese said:

The berries were ripening in late July, but that's much earlier than usual because of the heat. In a typical year I find the berries don't ripen until late August.

I havnt noticed berries ripening early... maybe a week but nothing too advanced.

Posted
34 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

I havnt noticed berries ripening early... maybe a week but nothing too advanced.

A lot of blackberries have ripened, looks a really good year for them. Could be the very dry period earlier in the summer has kept weeds and rivals at bay and the blackberries have taken advantage. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
Just now, Weather-history said:

A lot of blackberries have ripened, looks a really good year for them. Could be the very dry period has kept weeds and rivals at bay and the blackberries have taken advantage. 

Wet early spring, lots of dry sunny weather in summer.. perfect if have thought. 

But they arent early. My first crop was usually picked before the family holidayin the first week of august.

Posted
38 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Maybe I just don't pay attention but I don't remember ripe berries in late July or early August. Dunno. I remember picking blackberries in late August last year around my birthday.

Edited by cheese

6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

kinda depends where you are, May I would say summerier than Aug in Scotland/N Ireland

but other way round south UK

I think the same applies in Western areas, May tends to have more summery weather, even if this August has been pretty decent. (apart from today). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Foul ‘summer’ evening here

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J10 said:

I think the same applies in Western areas, May tends to have more summery weather, even if this August has been pretty decent. (apart from today). 

Coastal areas of the west do pretty well for sunshine all year round 

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Only 25 c and slight cloud then

I wish! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Coastal areas of the west do pretty well for sunshine all year round 

Blackpool has an average of 1,567 hours of sun a year. On the other side of the Pennines, Scarborough has an average of 1,553. Not much difference, and both are a little higher than inland areas.

The difference is much more stark in the south. Areas like Eastbourne get over 1,900 hours on average, then go inland and it drops to around 1,600. Sunshine hours in reality differ very little in most of the UK, with only the south coast being noticeably sunnier than the rest, and of course all UK locations are exceptionally dull by global standards.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Blackpool has an average of 1,567 hours of sun a year. On the other side of the Pennines, Scarborough has an average of 1,553. Not much difference, and both are a little higher than inland areas.

The difference is much more stark in the south. Areas like Eastbourne get over 1,900 hours on average, then go inland and it drops to around 1,600. Sunshine hours in reality differ very little in most of the UK, with only the south coast being noticeably sunnier than the rest, and of course all UK locations are exceptionally dull by global standards.

I've just looked up Monterey  bay hours quite shocked at 3017 hours

Edited by Mokidugway

Posted

Trees are turning unusually early,leaves falling off the hazel trees and silver birch colouring too.

Horse chestnut use to turn colour in august when we had colder summers.

Posted

We are well into August now and there is no sign whatsoever of heat wave conditions returning, sure some warm blips will come along but lets be honest, there has been a major pattern change.

Its raining across many areas now, way different to the past months.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

We are well into August now and there is no sign whatsoever of heat wave conditions returning, sure some warm blips will come along but lets be honest, there has been a major pattern change.

Its raining across many areas now, way different to the past months.

Aug is certainly autumn in Scotland

Posted

we have had a good few days of fine weather in August so far..Its not been perfect. But it never is. If we get  up to 10 more days in this month will mean half the month as been  decent .. Anyway the BBC monthly outlook and the met office  are saying by the last 3rd of the Month fine weather is suppose to return. we will see.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 290 (up to 11th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249

2018 248 <-------- if rest of summer records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Yesterday was a superb day. Warm and sunny most of the day, clouding in late afternoon. A nice breeze as well. Much more comfortable for doing outdoor activies compared to a few weeks back, whilst still being warm enough to sit around outside. Not looking as nice out today, but some convective interest this afternoon if we can catch some thundery downpours. All part of the wonderful variety of weather we get in this country.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, cheese said:

Maybe I just don't pay attention but I don't remember ripe berries in late July or early August. Dunno. I remember picking blackberries in late August last year around my birthday.

you can get blackberries right into october. the question is 'when do they first ripen'? ... like everything theres no one set date . if its a cold may/june then flowering will be delayed so mature berries will be too, on the other hand of course warm conditions in spring bring on flowers so berries could be ready earlier even in normal conditions..

11 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Trees are turning unusually early,leaves falling off the hazel trees and silver birch colouring too.

Horse chestnut use to turn colour in august when we had colder summers.

its normal for trees to shed older leaves in times of drought. especially shallow rooted trees like birch. sometimes they grow more leaves later in the season if it turns wet. dont forget some years there are 2 tree rings produced.

horse chestnut in particular turn early, but theres that leaf mining beetle thats killing the trees atm, they are harming the leaves and making then have a dead/brown appearance.

i know of some young lime trees that will have shed all their leaves by mid september, regardless of summer heat/drought/monsoon.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 290 (up to 11th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249

2018 248 <-------- if rest of summer records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

That will surely drop after today,surprised it hasn`t dropped after the last 2 days either Friday in particular.

Edited by Snowyowl9