Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
Just now, Snowyowl9 said:

Yesterday was a great day NWlys sunshine and showers.

Today is very windy very wet and very cold so far at 10c

Yesterday was near on a perfect Summers day for late August,today well that's different but that's what makes the UK climate so much better,one day differs to the next.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Not here, and it hasn't exactly been a 'bad' August anyway- it's been mostly warm with some hotter weather to start with. The BEST May to July period of my lifetime is all I can say.

Completely disagree about June- wasn't hot but there were plenty of 20C+ days in these parts. 11 days with maxes above 20C up to the 20th here. Two of those days exceeded 25C. No maxes below 18C in the whole month. The stats at Rostherne would also suggest the first half of June was rather sunny here.

I think the phrase is "going down in installments" 

The first half of summer was largely excellent with just that middle third of June being less than brilliant. The second half of summer has been poorer and has been become increasingly poorer from second week of August onwards. 

I would call the meteorological summer of 2018 as superb first half largely, a fairly decent second half of July to first week of August overall and a largely poor second week of August onwards. 

When you think the Manchester Summer Index was high as 281 by mid point of the meteorological summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's a bit of a pain how days like this have turned up on Sundays! First July 29th, then August 12th and now today.

After the bout of bad weather on 10th-12th, it never fully recovered here. Dry and fairly warm yes, but often breezy and far too cloudy. This month will be above average in the minima department and, depending on today's rain total, the rainfall one too.

Posted

Feel sorry for the folks at the steam rally today near shrewsbury,worst day I`ve seen by far for that,at least they`ve got tomorrow which looks much drier.

Heavy driving rain now holey moley what a day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, Uncle Gargy said:

I feel sorry for the Severn Bridge half marathon runners today. Torrential rain and strong winds. At least they won't get overheated!

Running a half Marathon it would probably be fairly refreshing, worst thing likely being the slipperiness on the ground.

Edited by ==MeteoMan==

Posted
3 minutes ago, ==MeteoMan== said:

Running a half Marathon it would probably be fairly refreshing, worst thing likely being the slipperiness on the ground.

On the Severn Bridge it will be that cross wind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Here, we reached 29C on 1 October 2011, 30C on 13 Sept 2016.

wonder when latest ever 30 degrees reached anywhere in UK? perhaps mid 0ct? and wonder when latest date when 30 degrees is possible

Posted

Here’s my top 5 summers of the century for my eastern location

1. 2013 2. 2006 3. 2018 4. 2003 5. 2014

The best June-July would be 2006 but July 2006 and 2013 were memorable. The best August probably 2003 but 2016 was great too here. 2018 is my favourite May though. None of these summers would be a match for 1976, 89 or 95. Still waiting to see one but maybe not for a few years now. 76 is probably like 63 for winter and 59 for autumn and 1893 for spring-incredibly rare 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I think the phrase is "going down in installments" 

The first half of summer was largely excellent with just that middle third of June being less than brilliant. The second half of summer has been poorer and has been become increasingly poorer from second week of August onwards. 

I would call the meteorological summer of 2018 as superb first half largely, a fairly decent second half of July to first week of August overall and a largely poor second week of August onwards. 

When you think the Manchester Summer Index was high as 281 by mid point of the meteorological summer.

Great summary, that's how I would assess it overall too. It would be interesting if you had an index for the start of May to the end of July (I know May is not summer), to compare it to previous years. May was just spectacular and felt very summery for much of the month.

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

My point isn't to say that this August has been bad, as I don't think it has - just that it has obviously tapered off slowly.

The final 10 days of June were great here, unbroken sunshine every day except for the dull starts, 25-27C maxes, low humidity, clear blue skies. Perfection. The first 20 were not very good, and as I mentioned earlier, the first 17 days of August were sunnier than the first 17 of June for eastern and southern England (that won't apply now though). Nottingham had 43 hours of sun for 1-17 June, that's pretty dull. Your patch will have been much better of course.

May was a great month of course, and it was consistently more sunny throughout the month than June here.

I am probably biased due to the west doing so well earlier in the season. Weather-history's Manchester summer index would seem to back up the idea that June was a very good month here apart from a short spell in the middle of the month. I can't argue with the fact that August has slowly gone downhill, which is a shame but we have had more than our fair share of fantastic weather this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

It's a bit of a pain how days like this have turned up on Sundays! First July 29th, then August 12th and now today.

After the bout of bad weather on 10th-12th, it never fully recovered here. Dry and fairly warm yes, but often breezy and far too cloudy. This month will be above average in the minima department and, depending on today's rain total, the rainfall one too.

The mean max here is now 22C, it was falling steadily but today will take a big chunk off it (the 22C mean max includes the max so far today bearing in mind but I don't think it will get much higher than it already has). I think it will still finish bit above average in terms of maxima but only slightly. 

Still, I have worn a t-shirt and shorts most days this month which indicates a reasonable summer month, even if it hasn't been particularly sunny. It's also been drier than average and I don't see today changing that as the rain isn't heavy. It's a shame though because this August was on course to be the warmest of this decade by a big margin and the warmest since 1997 here (yes it was even warmer than 2003 until the past 2 days).

Oh, and it goes without saying that today is just horrible. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
23 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Great summary, that's how I would assess it overall too. It would be interesting if you had an index for the start of May to the end of July (I know May is not summer), to compare it to previous years. May was just spectacular and felt very summery for much of the month.

I estimate May-July had a summer index of around 296

Sunshine levels were phenomenal. Sunnier than the summer of 1976 by a margin. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Yesterday was near on a perfect Summers day for late August,today well that's different but that's what makes the UK climate so much better,one day differs to the next.

You see, when you post about an August day with a max of 15c as being near perfect,  you can't  be surprised when people question your posts. We all have preferences, but making blatantly provocative statements like that, is going to draw a reaction. Please would you perhaps read what you've typed before posting?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

My neighbour and her 6 year old daughter are currently at Silverstone to watch the MotoGP, they've decided to come home, and lots of other people are heading back to their cars apparently. Racing has been delayed and might not go ahead at all. Not very good. All day rain in the summer is the worst.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Personally, I find 35°C with humidity leading up to a big thunderstorm is the perfect summer's day 

The closest we got to that here this year was 26th July, 32 degrees and a thundery shower PM. 

An average August day is acceptable however, but today's rain and 11 degrees is just like something we would get in January! Yet coldies hate these exact conditions in January, LOL.

• Like 2

Posted

always makes me laugh that we seem to have two distinct camps on this forum - the 'coldies' and the 'non-coldies' i've been loving the recent hot weather, 30ºc plus here in the south east. that's what i call summer weather. hot sticky evenings with a cold beer in the garden. i love it!

yet in the winter, i love sub-zero temps and copious amouts of snow. a '62/'63 repeat would be my ideal winter!

so i guess that makes me a 'coldie' and a 'hottie' 

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, ==MeteoMan== said:

Personally, I find 35°C with humidity leading up to a big thunderstorm is the perfect summer's day 

The closest we got to that here this year was 26th July, 32 degrees and a thundery shower PM. 

An average August day is acceptable however, but today's rain and 11 degrees is just like something we would get in January! Yet coldies hate these exact conditions in January, LOL.

Probably because 11C in January is very mild! Not a coldie's idea of cold.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I estimate May-July had a summer index of around 296

Sunshine levels were phenomenal. Sunnier than the summer of 1976 by a margin. 

Amazing, one of the most memorable spells of weather of my lifetime and we were certainly favoured in the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, davehsug said:

You see, when you post about an August day with a max of 15c as being near perfect,  you can't  be surprised when people question your posts. We all have preferences, but making blatantly provocative statements like that, is going to draw a reaction. Please would you perhaps read what you've typed before posting?

What on earth are you talking about? I was just making a view. Provocative? very weird statement. (in my opinion). I have no idea at all what your talking about! Feel free to disagree with me that is only right..Don't try and lecture me..

Edited by markyo

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

The mean max here is now 22C, it was falling steadily but today will take a big chunk off it (the 22C mean max includes the max so far today bearing in mind but I don't think it will get much higher than it already has). I think it will still finish bit above average in terms of maxima but only slightly. 

Still, I have worn a t-shirt and shorts most days this month which indicates a reasonable summer month, even if it hasn't been particularly sunny. It's also been drier than average and I don't see today changing that as the rain isn't heavy. It's a shame though because this August was on course to be the warmest of this decade by a big margin and the warmest since 1997 here (yes it was even warmer than 2003 until the past 2 days).

Oh, and it goes without saying that today is just horrible. 

Ah yes, I should have specified 'in relation to my location'. I'd imagine you did better in the predominant setup than me here in the West Country where cloud was undoubtedly more stubborn. I think the humidity and general quite warm temperatures helped offset the otherwise dullness after the 10th. In the occasional brighter interludes it was indeed warm/very warm.

Overall though, this summer fell off a cliff after August 10th here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Yep the wheels came spinning of the August band wagon around the 8th and we never really recovered - it was dull often dry and warmish just never really high summer weather. The search  for a memorable August goes on some might disagree, but to me it feels like the last really decent one was 2003 15 years is a long time !! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

13C here at 13:40, that’s diabolical for late August. I’m sure all the summer hating miseries on here are loving this ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Weather started going downhill here from mid-July onwards.  May and June were by far the best months.  August has been pretty abysmal with the exception of two days.

• Like 2