Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wouldn't say 14 degrees is fantastic!!!!! late in year yes, but still want southerlies, and 30 degrees just about possible late Aug I think Sheffield area

Can understand you wanting those temps it is still August!,Sunday even i must admit looks crap for most. but  14c for me is lovely,just right,i suspect you may get something more to your liking first half of next month,to be honest i wouldn't really mind it either,it would be short lived and not so intense,better for sleeping in..and for my aircon running bill!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

UKMO for Friday looking pants, kinda similar to EC 00Z, GFS on right better, hope ukmo is wrong and EC 12Z is better

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisionsgfs-0-144.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days with the cool north Atlantic air, my sinuses have cleared up, I can breathe better too without that subtropical mucky air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of days with the cool north Atlantic air, my sinuses have cleared up, I can breathe better too without that subtropical mucky air.

Hate the cooler weather.  Had to wear a light jumper today (shock, horror! ).  Guess the weather is balancing itself as they say.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, gbrunner12 said:

Hate the cooler weather.  Had to wear a light jumper today (shock, horror! ).  Guess the weather is balancing itself as they say.

Indeed it does, background signals are flawed as in there are so many of them, add in random chaos and your left with the weather doing what it wants, not what its 'supposed' to do.

Could September be on the cool side?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Truly feels like Autumn has come early. 15c today and one minute sunny, one minute raining. No strength in the sun when it did come out either. Felt very cool this evening too. 

I truly believe that because Summer started early in May, it’s now turned to Autumn earlier than usual. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Truly feels like Autumn has come early. 15c today and one minute sunny, one minute raining. No strength in the sun when it did come out either. Felt very cool this evening too. 

I truly believe that because Summer started early in May, it’s now turned to Autumn earlier than usual. 

True, it's disappointing but we can't complain really. Possibly the best May to July period ever. Two absolutely stunning bank holidays in May as well. I would take a great May-July period over a great June-August period. We really got the full benefits of the high, strong sun this year.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

True, it's disappointing but we can't complain really. Possibly the best May to July period ever. Two absolutely stunning bank holidays in May as well. I would take a great May-July period over a great June-August period. We really got the full benefits of the high, strong sun this year.

What happened to the August band wagon you and many others jumped onto?

As John Holmes would say, the weather makes fools out of us all.

Posted
25 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

There has still been plenty of warm weather in August so not sure what you're on about. Hasn't exactly been August 2008.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
34 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

That is very true. I agree. I actually got a great tan this year because of the high UV. 

It’s just disappointing because it was such a great period of weather. It feels like it’s fallen off a cliff. 

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

That is very true. I agree. I actually got a great tan this year because of the high UV. 

It’s just disappointing because it was such a great period of weather. It feels like it’s fallen off a cliff. 

Our expectations have been raised, but this is the UK and it was never really going to continue from early May (or even April when you think about that early hot spell) all the way to the end of August. That said, I wasn't quite expecting anything quite as cool and unpleasant as it was here yesterday. I really can't stand polar maritime air- by far the worst source of air in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I really can't stand polar maritime air- by far the worst source of air in my opinion.

Always found it interesting how folk can have totally opposite views with regard to weather,for me Polar maritime air is by far the best source for air in the UK, But we are all different and i suppose that's what counts!

Posted
8 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I really can't stand polar maritime air- by far the worst source of air in my opinion.

Really? I'm surprise because I would have thought going off your username, Arctic continental would have been the worst like what we saw at the end of February. 

Polar maritime for me is blue skies and brilliant cloudscapes.

The worst for me? Tropical maritime, too often cloud laden. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Really? I'm surprise because I would have thought going off your username, Arctic continental would have been the worst like what we saw at the end of February. 

I find polar maritime has the most 'raw' feel in these parts with us having little shelter from NW winds. I don't like cold continental air masses either- however they tend to be drier in general and sometimes sunny for us in the west. Can see what you're saying about the cloudscapes but we often also get days like Friday with polar maritime air where there is very little sun and quite a lot of rain.

We've had a lot of tropical maritime air this month and it certainly has been pretty cloudy as a result. I do enjoy being able to wear t shirts outside though, which tropical maritime allows much of the time in summer.

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Polar maritime air sucks! usually means non stop rain here

For me that's a price well paid for the cleaner fresher air. Still T shirt and shorts weather I know you'd disagree! 

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wouldn't say 14 degrees is fantastic!!!!! late in year yes, but still want southerlies, and 30 degrees just about possible late Aug I think Sheffield area

Here, we reached 29C on 1 October 2011, 30C on 13 Sept 2016.

Edited by cheese

Posted
10 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I wouldn't - to me, summers that end well are better remembered than summers that end badly. A bad end to summer kind of taints your memory of it, plus this time of year is 'peak holiday' time so more people have time to actually enjoy any nice weather rather than being stuck working all the time in May/June etc. This is especially true if you have kids. I would say nice weather at this time of year is more important than at any other time. As a kid, the summer of 1995 was immense, but it would have been much less immense if the hottest weather had occurred in June instead when I would have been in a classroom most of the time.

But, beggars cannot be choosers - though I still insist that for much of England the first 20 days of June were fairly rubbish due to the persistent cloudy easterlies.

In other news, the Beast from the East and the summer heatwave produce bumper fruit crop: https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-weather-heatwave-summer-fruit-beats-from-the-east-apples-plums-tomatoes-a8506466.html

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Agreed, good clean air on a polar maritime flow makes for excellent visibility, but great cloudscapes as well at times. I also much prefer polar maritime airstreams over Easterlies in winter as for our region at least, they often generate decent snow showers off the Irish Sea, often with lightning thrown in for good measure. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

John Halmond's washout August prediction was a bust too, so yes, it does make fools of us all.

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

I wouldn't - to me, summers that end well are better remembered than summers that end badly. A bad end to summer kind of taints your memory of it, plus this time of year is 'peak holiday' time so more people have more time to actually enjoy any nice weather rather than being stuck working all the time in May/June etc. This is especially true if you have kids. I would say nice weather at this time of year is more important than at any other time.

But, beggars cannot be choosers - though I still insist that for much of England the first 20 days of June were fairly rubbish.

In other news, Beast from the East and the 2018 heatwave produce bumper fruit crop: https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-weather-heatwave-summer-fruit-beats-from-the-east-apples-plums-tomatoes-a8506466.html

Not here, and it hasn't exactly been a 'bad' August anyway- it's been mostly warm with some hotter weather to start with. The BEST May to July period of my lifetime is all I can say.

Completely disagree about June- wasn't hot but there were plenty of 20C+ days in these parts. 11 days with maxes above 20C up to the 20th here. Two of those days exceeded 25C. No maxes below 18C in the whole month. The stats at Rostherne would also suggest the first half of June was rather sunny here.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Not here, and it hasn't exactly been a 'bad' August anyway- it's been mostly warm with some hotter weather to start with. The BEST May to July period of my lifetime is all I can say.

Completely disagree about June- wasn't hot but there were plenty of 20C+ days in these parts. 11 days with maxes above 20C up to the 20th here. Two of those days exceeded 25C. No maxes below 18C in the whole month. The stats at Rostherne would also suggest the first half of June was rather sunny here.

My point isn't to say that this August has been bad, as I don't think it has - just that it has obviously tapered off slowly.

The final 10 days of June were great here, unbroken sunshine every day except for the dull starts, 25-27C maxes, low humidity, clear blue skies. Perfection. The first 20 were not very good, and as I mentioned earlier, the first 17 days of August were sunnier than the first 17 of June for eastern and southern England (that won't apply now though). Nottingham had 43 hours of sun for 1-17 June, that's pretty dull. Your patch will have been much better of course.

May was a great month of course, and it was consistently more sunny throughout the month than June here.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Yesterday was a great day NWlys sunshine and showers.

Today is very windy very wet and very cold so far at 10c

Edited by Snowyowl9