Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
13 hours ago, ==MeteoMan== said:

Being new to the forum I'm very surprised just how much the majority of people on here, evidenced by the numbers of "likes" such posts get, prefer colder than average summer temperatures in what is already one of the coldest summer climates in the entire world. Thought most would find the summers too cold here but it's actually the opposite. I don't have a problem with it (unless people start laughing at others who don't like what they do) but I sure wasn't expecting it! I went to Naples in May and it was below average (18-20°C) and everybody was wearing heavy coats.

Today would have been like a typical May day had the sun predominated; but light showers kept bringing temps down a good 4-5 degrees so it felt more like April much of the day. Thankfully it won't be this cold again for a while.

welcome!

when i joined back in 05? i was shocked that people here were wanting cold! lol.. the fervour surrounding cold was bewhildering. see ... i dont know anybody in real life that is as keen to see months of bitter cold , like you get on here. ok, i know a lot like snow, but not to the level of madness you get on these forums... im not saying they are wrong, people like what people like, it was just a shock.

ignore the 'likes'. they are totally meaningless. youll get the 'anti heat' brigade 'liking' anything that shows heat in a negative light, regardless of how reasonable or not the post may be.

at any time of the year youll get a well reasoned post ignored if its not talking about a favoured weather type. youll get any old guff 'liked' when it does talk about a favoured weather type. likes are not usually an indication of a posts validity, but a comment on what the masses want to see. this is worse in winter when numbers swell as 'cold fans' return.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Depends on what happened prior, could be a chilly foggy chart.

I know lol, it was tongue in cheek. More often than not though, charts like that are followed by a return to the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Much better day with no showers and lighter winds, as well as more sunshine. Still too cool for my liking though at 16C and it doesn't feel warm at all when the sun isn't shining. Sitting indoors, my feet and hands feel cold. People always say that my hands are freezing most of the year - whereas in summer they're usually quite warm. 

Add 5 degrees and it would be so much better - and those 5 degrees for me mark the difference betweeing wearing jeans, long socks and a hoody, and wearing shorts, trainer socks and a t-shirt.

Still, I can at least continue with garden work, unlike yesterday with those pointless cold blustery showers. Better get a lot done as tomorrow is going to be a washout.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

add 10 degrees it would be even better

Yes, that is true. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

Much better day with no showers and lighter winds, as well as more sunshine. Still too cool for my liking though at 16C and it doesn't feel warm at all when the sun isn't shining. Sitting indoors, my feet and hands feel cold. People always say that my hands are freezing most of the year - whereas in summer they're usually quite warm. 

Add 5 degrees and it would be so much better - and those 5 degrees for me mark the difference betweeing wearing jeans, long socks and a hoody, and wearing shorts, trainer socks and a t-shirt.

Still, I can at least continue with garden work, unlike yesterday with those pointless cold blustery showers. Better get a lot done as tomorrow is going to be a washout.

Yes, feeling distinctly cool today, just 17C here currently. As usually happens in this type of airflow, the day started out nice and sunny, if cold, but now the dreaded infill is ruining the sunshine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
52 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

like system should be scrapped, would change posting on the forum

knew as soon as that post went on, it would get 'likes' the one by ice cold in MOD, the likes can be 'unliked' now anyway as last bit of post rightly deleted

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nothing more than jeans and a jumper required, it feels lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really fantastic Saturday,14c so by no means cold or even cool,mainly good sunny spells,excellent weather for garden work at last! T shirt and shorts weather, Loving it

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Out of the breeze and in the sun it feels lovely. Quite lengthy sunny spells too. Perfect mid September weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

At least it has been dry today so the weather is at least usable.

Tomorrow however looks to be a washout, a shame for the tourist industry given it is the biggest weekend of the year. Though I guess we should be used to this even if we have dodged bad weather on every other bank holiday weekend this year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What would a British Bank Holiday be without cold, wind and rain? Not a British one! 

Well today was certainly an improvement, apart from a nagging wind at times it felt decent this afternoon in the sun indeed. Only had to wear three layers, and was even able to ditch the big coat for a time. Tomorrow's aberration is thankfully short-lived and early September is looking very promising indeed. 

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Nothing more than jeans and a jumper required, it feels lovely.

I wear jeans and jumpers nearly all year so I don't appreciate having to wear them in the summer too!

Today reached 19C so a huge improvement over yesterday's dreadful weather. The wind has died down too so it feels okay, but it's evidently not perfect summer weather - far from it. As MP-R says, this would be perfect mid-September weather. 

Apparently only 14C in Sheffield though, must have developed its own microclimate.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

At least it has been dry today so the weather is at least usable.

Tomorrow however looks to be a washout, a shame for the tourist industry given it is the biggest weekend of the year. Though I guess we should be used to this even if we have dodged bad weather on every other bank holiday weekend this year.

Yup, tomorrow is looking like the worst possible weather imaginable for summer, and it's terrible that it's coincided with the big summer bank holiday weekend when warm, sunny weather is appreciated by most. Not good at all. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

I wear jeans and jumpers nearly all year so I don't appreciate having to wear them in the summer too!

Today reached 19C so a huge improvement over yesterday's dreadful weather. The wind has died down too so it feels okay, but it's evidently not perfect summer weather - far from it. As MP-R says, this would be the perfect mid-September weather.

Apparently only 14C in Sheffield though, must have developed its own microclimate.

14c in Grenoside,Sheffield......Its called being higher up. Micro climate,that's a good one!

Edited by markyo

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

14c in Grenoside,Sheffield......Its called being higher up on in the hills. Micro climate,that's a good one!

Even Bingley at 264m ASL reached 16C today. Grenoside is at 170m or thereabouts, but is only 14C? As I said, it must be a new microclimate.

Posted
8 minutes ago, ==MeteoMan== said:

Don't know which Sheffield that is, it's 18°C here today. Even the likes of Buxton were at 16-17 and that's 1,000ft ASL.

....obviously your a fair bit lower down in Sheffield then,nowhere near to Bradfield,lot cooler up here. Probably peaked about now,showing 15c now,one degree increase. Point scoring though seems pointless really to be honest,got better things to do with my Saturday bank holiday.

Edited by markyo

Posted

Anyway, got both my lawns cut today before tomorrow's deluge. If nothing else it will be a good excuse to stay indoors since I like lazy Sundays. There's a beer festival occurring just down the road though so disappointing for them, probably low turnout. It's also the final day of Leeds Fest, but I suppose it wouldn't be a British summer festival without loads of rain and sodden ground.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Really fantastic Saturday,14c so by no means cold or even cool,mainly good sunny spells,excellent weather for garden work at last! T shirt and shorts weather, Loving it

wouldn't say 14 degrees is fantastic!!!!! late in year yes, but still want southerlies, and 30 degrees just about possible late Aug I think Sheffield area

Posted
21 minutes ago, cheese said:

Anyway, got both my lawns cut today before tomorrow's deluge. If nothing else it will be a good excuse to stay indoors since I like lazy Sundays. There's a beer festival occurring just down the road though so disappointing for them, probably low turnout. It's also the final day of Leeds Fest, but I suppose it wouldn't be a British summer festival without loads of rain and sodden ground.

This summer has been filled with outdoor plans / events here in Bristol that have been scuppered by crappy weather.

Fathers Day lunch outside, Birthday BBQ on final weekend of July, Bristol Balloon Fiesta and now tomorrow. At least the Harbour Festival had nice weather. It's this that prevents 2018 being a classic for me.

From a totally personal point of view too, I can also a judge how good a summer is by the colour of my skin by September 1st. The browner I am at that point, the better the summer has been. I can safely say I'm losing a lot of my summer colour after 2+ weeks with hardly any sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Yes, much better weather. Looking forward to a bit of rain tomorrow.

• Like 2