Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, gbrunner12 said:

I always found dew points are more useful than relative humidity in terms of determining how humid the weather will feel.  For example, 30°C and 50% humidity will feel more humid than 25°C and 60% humidity.

Interesting. 30C with 50% humidity definitely feels hotter than 25C with 60% humidity but I don't think it necessarily feels more humid.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Still 27C here at midnight. The temperature actually jumped up a bit after 11pm.

I've been keeping the fan on all night for the past couple of weeks; without it my bed would be a lake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, cheese said:

Because it's true, and you can confirm this by looking at historical weather data - no offence intended but nearly everything you post is based on what you feel rather than anything certifiable.

As an example, 22 of the past 30 days at Linton on Ouse have had average humidity levels greater than 70%. Last July, 25 out of 31 days had average humidity levels above 70%, 19 above 75%, 11 above 80%, and July 2017 was just an average month. Indeed, it is during summer heatwaves that humidity levels tend to be at their lowest, with dry air being more conductive to high temperatures.

I tend to rely on the feel of the weather not statistics. Location can make a massive difference also even if the distances involved is not great. I tend to do 300 miles plus a day hence i tend to notice variations. One location can have a totally different feel regardless of what the figures actually are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I tend to rely on the feel of the weather not statistics. Location can make a massive difference also even if the distances involved is not great. I tend to do 300 miles plus a day hence i tend to notice variations. One location can have a totally different feel regardless of what the figures actually are.

tbh m8, that just gives you a 'get out of jail free' card, permission to post anything regardless of statistical evidence.

Posted
25 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

tbh m8, that just gives you a 'get out of jail free' card, permission to post anything regardless of statistical evidence.

In your opinion. The title of this thread say's it all really. Its not the statistical evidence thread...

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
10 hours ago, cheese said:

Interesting. 30C with 50% humidity definitely feels hotter than 25C with 60% humidity but I don't think it necessarily feels more humid.

The point I'm making is the higher the dewpoint the more humid it will feel.  It's not common in the UK for dewpoints to be particularly high so it's not wrong to say most summer days don't feel humid.

Edited by gbrunner12
  • Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, gbrunner12 said:

The point I'm making is the higher the dewpoint the more humid it will feel.  It's not common in the UK for dewpoints to be particularly high so it's not wrong to say most summer days don't feel humid.

And per my previous response I don't agree with that. I think a 25C day with 60% RH will feel more humid than a 30C way with 50% RH, even if the dew point in the latter case is higher. 

To use yesterday as an example, for most of the afternoon Linton on Ouse was around 22C with dew points of 16C. That translates to RH of 68%. It was probably similar in Sheffield. That is not at all unusual for the UK.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

In your opinion. The title of this thread say's it all really. Its not the statistical evidence thread...

No, it's not, but if you post things that are incorrect then expect to be pulled up on it. I would expect people on this forum of all places to have a reasonable understanding of weather and climate, but sometimes I am disappoited.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

No, it's not, but if you post things that are incorrect then expect to be pulled up on it. I would expect people on this forum of all places to have a reasonable understanding of weather and climate, but sometimes I am disappoited.

Sorry your missing the entire point i was trying to make. I may be wrong,i apologies if i am but i suspect i travel far more on a daily basis so i tend to notice any variations in a single day. I wasn't stating the statistics are wrong i merely was trying to say the feel of any specific setup can feel totally different to different people in different locations even when the figures are pretty close,sorry should have made that clearer..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is someone still trying to say that most summer days have higher-than-average relative humidity? How odd!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful sunny morning and warm with temperatures up at 22/23c at 10.30am.

Posted

Looks like a bank holiday washout potentially in the north and west,slightly better down this way according to Meto and their charts. Miserable on the hills in the north I would think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
2 hours ago, cheese said:

And per my previous response I don't agree with that. I think a 25C day with 60% RH will feel more humid than a 30C way with 50% RH, even if the dew point in the latter case is higher. 

To use yesterday as an example, for most of the afternoon Linton on Ouse was around 22C with dew points of 16C. That translates to RH of 68%. It was probably similar in Sheffield. That is not at all unusual for the UK.

A dew point of 21°C will feel more humid than a dew point of 16°C.  There is no denying that.  The temperature could be 10°C with 90% humidity (which looking at RH alone would be considered humid) but that will not feel more humid than 25° with 60% humidity.

EDIT: Apologies I just realised that I meant to write 25°C with 70% humidity.  You are correct that 30°C with 50% humidity will feel more humid than 25°C with 60% humidity as the dew point is higher.

Edited by gbrunner12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Dear oh dear the forecast for the weekend gets worse than ever. 15 degree highs on two days now, boke. 

August will turn out to be a very ordinary month after the delights of June and July - but I guess it had to break at some time. Well, I am enjoying today and tomorrow at the least, feeling as summer should do, very nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry your missing the entire point i was trying to make. I may be wrong,i apologies if i am but i suspect i travel far more on a daily basis so i tend to notice any variations in a single day. I wasn't stating the statistics are wrong i merely was trying to say the feel of any specific setup can feel totally different to different people in different locations even when the figures are pretty close,sorry should have made that clearer..

i dont get you... one moment you are moaning because you work in 100% humidity and 40c temps...... next you are 'travelling the country'.... so what is it? a boiler house or a tranny van?

Posted
1 hour ago, gbrunner12 said:

A dew point of 21°C will feel more humid than a dew point of 16°C.  There is no denying that.  The temperature could be 10°C with 90% humidity (which looking at RH alone would be considered humid) but that will not feel more humid than 25° with 60% humidity.

EDIT: Apologies I just realised that I meant to write 25°C with 70% humidity.  You are correct that 30°C with 50% humidity will feel more humid than 25°C with 60% humidity as the dew point is higher.

I actually said the opposite. 

If, say, the temperature is 35C and the dew point is 21C, would it really feel more humid than if it was 23C and the dew point was 19C? That's what I don't agree with. It will obviously feel much hotter but I don't think it would feel more humid as the air is obviously less saturated. Or to go more extreme, would 40C with a 16C dew point feel more humid than 22C with a 14C dew point? The former would indicate a very dry air mass.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Is someone still trying to say that most summer days have higher-than-average relative humidity? How odd!

No, they're not. Someone is saying that an average summer's day in the UK is humid. There is nothing difficult to understand about that.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

i dont get you... one moment you are moaning because you work in 100% humidity and 40c temps...... next you are 'travelling the country'.... so what is it? a boiler house or a tranny van?

Field engineer....i travel to go into boiler houses! Normally 3 to 4 sites a day.depends on travel time. Can be up to 18hr days.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A glorious afternoon - clear blue skies and 26c in London currently. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Looking cooler for my birthday tomorrow then cooler still for the rest of the week. Lovely. :)

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, simshady said:

Looking cooler for my birthday tomorrow then cooler still for the rest of the week. Lovely. :)

Happy Birthday for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Summers in order with the best at the top 
1976 301
1995 298
2018 280 (up to 20th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251

Do you think it will remain in 3rd position right until the end. Or do you think it could still slip below 1983 or even 1955 into 4th or 5th place yet even?

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow