Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

August started well here, and will probably finish at least slightly above average temperature wise. However it has been rather cloudy, 76 hours on my station (probably a slight underestimate but still not good). The Met Office had sunny symbols yesterday afternoon but instead the cloud thickened here while breaking up for Dorset/Somerset eastwards. 0.1 hours of sun this weekend which makes it 3 out of 4 cloudy or wet weekends.

Anyway, I thought I'd plot my maxima so far this summer against a crude average line:
image.thumb.png.6ca5269a394ecc2725df95734c827b77.png
(just made a smoothed line graph using the monthly average maxima for Exeter Airport and subtracted the average difference between there and me)

Quite impressive how many days are above average.
The May-July period was probably one of the best. However I think one could argue that August doesn't look quite good enough for summer to be one of the all time classics, as it's one of the two warmest months on average and when most people holiday. 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

The May-July period was probably one of the best. However I think one could argue that August doesn't look quite good enough for summer to be one of the all time classics, as it's one of the two warmest months on average and when most people holiday. 

This!

If May-July could've fallen across June-August, that would've sealed the deal.

I'm just glad the heat spilled into August at all otherwise this would be up there with some of the cloudiest. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

its warm, its dry, its rather calm, where the cloud breaks its hot (25c+ )

not bad really..

Posted

It's 18C, it's damp, it's breezy, where the cloud breaks the people under it are lucky.

Not great really...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

not bad really..

well it's not dry here, awful

Posted
28 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

not bad really..

A tale of two halves this week! Down here on the south coast, it felt like we were back in the heatwave yesterday (28.3C was the maximum nationwide, not to be sniffed at), and the next few days could be the same. But I appreciate some will just stay dull. Actually, it seems near impossible to get spells where absolutely everywhere in the UK is hot. That's just living on an island! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Well the summer has really caught up over here now. A fantastic spell of weather, day after day of sunshine and warmth without really being as hot as the previous two summers past. No wind presently so pollution levels starting to increase in some parts of Central Europe but at altitude hardly noticeable. Sad to see the UK summer deteriorate in some places with constant low cloud cover but have noticed some large differences in temps over there. Maybe the East doing better than earlier this summer, I think.

C

Posted

Looks like a select few getting a break in the clouds this morning. Although I'm not looking forward to unseasonable coolness later this week, I'll welcome clearer skies!

image.png

• Like 1

Posted

22.6c and sunny here in South West London. Getting another blast of summer for next few days looks like. Expect will hit 28c today somewhere in London area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

evidence is building for more settled, calmer weather to arrive next week as pressure is expected to rise off the azores and ridge in over us...

might not be as hot as july, but itll be humid, settled spells in september always seem to be more humid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

evidence is building for more settled, calmer weather to arrive next week as pressure is expected to rise off the azores and ridge in over us...

might not be as hot as july, but itll be humid, settled spells in september always seem to be more humid. 

Sounds good to me. I like humid weather, not so much heat though. Shame the month has to have the token August cold spell at the weekend but never mind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Today is cloudy but bright, dry (except for some drizzle this morning) and warm, it's 24.2C which is a good 3C warmer than forecast (no surprises there). Not dissimilar to many days in late July but 2-3C cooler.

Fairly decent, usable sort of day. Really not looking forward to the cool down later this week, I'll take cloudy warm weather over sunny cool weather. Met Office say 16C as the high on Friday which would be very cool for the time of year and I doubt that would feel warm even in the sunshine (especially with a breeze). Hopefully it's a bit warmer than that in reality.

Should only be a temporary cool down though fortunately. 16C highs can wait until late September where they belong.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Warm, humid day in London with sunny spells. 26c the high. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Got home after a round trip to a pretty comfortable Cirencester to a very uncomfortable humid Sheffield,the difference is marked. Humidity is by far the most uncomfortable weather in the UK for me,it brings nothing,just sweat and dehydration,pointless crap which hopefully will be gone by the weekend. Can't wait.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MP-R said:

Looks like a select few getting a break in the clouds this morning. Although I'm not looking forward to unseasonable coolness later this week, I'll welcome clearer skies!

image.png

Indeed, looking forward to the wind veering NW after Wednesday. Should be much sunnier conditions.

fingers crossed though that GFS 12z is wrong for the weekend.

4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Look forward to that as well if it materialises.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Not a nice day at all here in Haverhill, Suffolk. Not a peek of sun all day and it’s raining again. 

This is honestly one of the dullest August’s in recent memory. Lucky to get five minutes of sun each day and it’s been rather breezy and rainy. 

I would say we’ve easily had under 80 hours of sun this month. 

Terrible August to be quite honest 

Edited by matty007

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Got home after a round trip to a pretty comfortable Cirencester to a very uncomfortable humid Sheffield,the difference is marked. Humidity is by far the most uncomfortable weather in the UK for me,it brings nothing,just sweat and dehydration,pointless crap which hopefully will be gone by the weekend. Can't wait.

Think you are exaggerating just a tad there.. most summer days in the UK are humid, we are surrounded by water. 

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Yes indeedy. Beeb going for 20c in London on Saturday and showery. Very humid in the capital this evening and still 24c.

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Think you are exaggerating just a tad there.. most summer days in the UK are humid, we are surrounded by water. 

Most Summer days are humid....really? I think you'll find they aren't! Being surrounded by water doesn't mean constant humidity in summer. Very very surprised you came out with that one,no idea why you'd think that,very strange.

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, markyo said:

Most Summer days are humid....really? I think you'll find they aren't! Being surrounded by water doesn't mean constant humidity in summer. Very very surprised you came out with that one,no idea why you'd think that,very strange.

Because it's true, and you can confirm this by looking at historical weather data - no offence intended but nearly everything you post is based on what you feel rather than anything certifiable.

As an example, 22 of the past 30 days at Linton on Ouse have had average humidity levels greater than 70%. Last July, 25 out of 31 days had average humidity levels above 70%, 19 above 75%, 11 above 80%, and July 2017 was just an average month. Indeed, it is during summer heatwaves that humidity levels tend to be at their lowest, with dry air being more conductive to high temperatures.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
43 minutes ago, cheese said:

Because it's true, and you can confirm this by looking at historical weather data - no offence intended but nearly everything you post is based on what you feel rather than anything certifiable.

As an example, 22 of the past 30 days at Linton on Ouse have had average humidity levels greater than 70%. Last July, 25 out of 31 days had average humidity levels above 70%, 19 above 75%, 11 above 80%, and July 2017 was just an average month. Indeed, it is during summer heatwaves that humidity levels tend to be at their lowest, with dry air being more conductive to high temperatures.

I always found dew points are more useful than relative humidity in terms of determining how humid the weather will feel.  For example, 30°C and 50% humidity will feel more humid than 25°C and 60% humidity.