Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
54 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes and getting worse, horror chart this

Netweather GFS Image

LOL gotta love these charts where that big green bogey lands itself dead centre on top of the UK.  And up in Sweden at 63°N = Scorchio! 

Edited by CheeseAndOnionCrisps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Other than 1997 and 2003, August 2000 was a decent month in many areas of the UK- a bit warmer, sunnier and drier than average for most.  I recall that the first half was warm but cloudy, and the second half much sunnier, and the second half was also very thundery in many parts of Ireland.  August 2005 was quite sunny and dry over much of England and Wales, albeit dull in northern Scotland.  There was a cool first half but a warmer second half and some big thunderstorms also in places on the 31st.  I was in Leeds that day and got a direct hit.  I recall that in the North East August 2007 was sunny and dry, albeit rather cool at times.  Also I spent August 2009 in Norwich and the second half of that month was frequently warm and sunny, though it was much duller and wetter further north and west.  So at least locally there have been several Augusts that for many of us would fall in the "decent" category.

One amusing quirk: in the Met Office's UK sunshine series there were only three Augusts that recorded over 200 hours of sunshine - 1947, 1976 and 1995 - and yet all three recorded over 240 hours.  All three had a pretty similar synoptic situation too with high pressure stuck over the British Isles for much of the month and in a favourable position to bring mostly clear sunny weather.   The implication is that if you're looking for an August in anywhere near the same league as August 1995, chances are you're going to be waiting a long time as they don't come around very often.  It does have to be said though that the tendency for August to be less reliable than June or July has been exaggerated somewhat since the early 00s.

I wasn't expecting August 2018 to be on a par with the three big ones, but a moderately sunny August on a par with 1989, 2003 and 2005 would have been enough to put summer 2018 up there with 1976, 1989 and 1995 as far as sunshine goes.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

You recorded a wind of at least 20mph on August 5th?

BRA_1_2018080500_45.png

As per usual, people are talking absolute crap. I really am absolutely astonished at the level of misinformed claptrap that gets posted about the weather on a forum dedicated to it.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, matty007 said:

Wow. That really does amaze me. 

June 2018 is probably the best Summer month I can remember in my 26 years of life. Just ahead of July 2006, and July 2013. 

Not as hot as those two granted, but very very dry (not one drop of rain), 300+ hours of sun and consistently sitting around 26-27c. No wind either. Perfect summer month here. 

The first 21 days of June at Leeming (40 miles north of Leeds) recorded a poor 74.9 hours of sun which is less than the amount of sun we have recorded for August so far - which is pretty dreadful when you consider how much longer the days are in June. If it wasn't for the fact that the final 10 days of the month were exceptionally sunny then it would have ended up being a very dull month, and in fact was duller than June 2012 to the same point. So yes, for many parts of the UK, more so eastern and southern areas, the first 2 thirds of June were very dull, plagued by North Sea low cloud and days in the mid to high teens. Only the final 10 days of June were actually good and it's a classic example of a summer month that looks good on paper but was mostly not great (this does not apply to Western areas where the whole month was good).

If people actually bothered to look at the stats instead of ignoring them because it doesn't tally with what they think then they would be aware of that. Cambridge is very exposed to dull North Sea easterlies so it is probably the same there.

Edited by cheese

Posted
9 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Surprised there, thought August was best month in SE

At Cambridge, August has an average of 183 hours of sun, while June has an average of 177. August has 50mm of rainfall while June has 52mm. August has an average high of 22.6C while June has an average high of 19.9C. 

July is slightly sunnier than August at Cambridge but in percentage terms August has the clear lead. August is the sunniest month of the year at Cambridge in percentage terms - August has 41% of possible sun, June has a shockingly low 36% (Cambridge is not a sunny city, by the way, despite being one of the warmest places in the summer).

So yes, it is probably fair to say that on average August is the best month for his part of the world, using the stats we have available. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

At Cambridge, August has an average of 183 hours of sun, while June has an average of 177. August has 50mm of rainfall while June has 52mm. August has an average high of 22.6C while June has an average high of 19.9C. 

July is slightly sunnier than August at Cambridge but in percentage terms August has the clear lead. August is the sunniest month of the year at Cambridge in percentage terms - August has 41% of possible sun, June has a shockingly low 36% (Cambridge is not a sunny city, by the way, despite being one of the warmest places in the summer).

So yes, it is probably fair to say that on average August is the best month for his part of the world, using the stats we have available. 

August sunniest for Leeds? would have thought so with the westerlies, where as June dull and cool due to E'lys

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

August sunniest for Leeds? would have thought so with the westerlies, where as June dull and cool due to E'lys

It's tied with July in second place, both with 41%. May is the leader with 45%. June has 37%. September is ahead of June at 40%. If anything, for this part of the world, it's June that should be kicked out of summer, replaced with either May or September.

Today is a good example of that - long sunny spells with most of the cloud being kept at bay by the Pennines. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

Wattisham, Suffolk:

Sunshine hours 1-17 June 2018: 71.7

Sunshine hours 1-17 August 2018: 126

Bet that will surprise a fair few people. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Wattisham, Suffolk:

Sunshine hours 1-17 June 2018: 71.7

Sunshine hours 1-17 August 2018: 126

can imagine that, other way round though I'd have thought for W Scotland

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

can imagine that, other way round though I'd have thought for W Scotland

Probably, yes.

Another one.. Heathrow Airport:

1-17 June: 97 hours

1-17 August: 124 hours

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking at the current model output.....hello Autumn,my dear old friend is returning. Loving that after this Summer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
28 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Driest summers on record for England and Wales (mm)

1. 1995 66.9
  2. 74.0 1976

3. 91.5 1800

4. ~98.7 2018 up to 17th Aug

5. 98.9 1869

6. 102.6 1818

7. 110.8 1983

8. 112.3 1887

9. 114.4 1913

10. 118.1 1864

11. 121.8 1826

12. 121.9 1949

13. 124.0 1780

14. 128.0 1984

15. 131.1 1870

trouble is with those stats... 30 august days could be bone dry with 1 day having a freak thunderstorm that delivers a months worth of rain in a 24 hour period. and you can have 30 days of light patchy rain/drizzle which delivers half a months totals followed by one dry day...

stats can be misleading.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

trouble is with those stats... 30 august days could be bone dry with 1 day having a freak thunderstorm that delivers a months worth of rain in a 24 hour period. and you can have 30 days of light patchy rain/drizzle which delivers half a months totals followed by one dry day...

stats can be misleading.

They can be misleading if you are using them in terms of how good a summer is but not in absolute terms. 

They are not been used to measure how good a summer is, it is just a simple case that if say it is 45mm on 30th August then we get a 31st August ex Charley event, and it increases to 88mm for the summer, it isn't going to be the driest summer on record, as simple that.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, markyo said:

Looking at the current model output.....hello Autumn,my dear old friend is returning. Loving that after this Summer!

Not sure I see that - there's a cool down next week for Friday and Saturday but after that looks like a continuation of what we've got right now with fluctuating periods of ridging high pressure and a flat zonal pattern. ECM shows that nicely.

Well, unless you think the GFS charts at 370+ hours are likely to verify.. not sure I'd put money on that happening though.

Not surprised the rabble on the MOD thread are posting misleading rubbish about autumn arriving though.The weather isn't exactly hot now, so why would anyone want it any cooler? What purpose does that serve? 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

Summers dead long live autumn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not sure I see that - there's a cool down next week for Friday and Saturday but after that looks like a continuation of what we've got right now with fluctuating periods of ridging high pressure and a flat zonal pattern.

Well, unless you think the GFS charts at 370+ hours are likely to verify.. not sure I'd put money on that happening though.

Yeah your probably right....least a 2 day Autumn fri/sat is better than nothing! Even i wouldn't have a flutter on any GFS chart,especially that far out.

Posted

Days like this are what make living in the UK depressing sometimes - virtually the entire continent of Europe is cloudless and yet the UK is shrouded in cloud. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yeah your probably right....least a 2 day Autumn fri/sat is better than nothing! Even i wouldn't have a flutter on any GFS chart,especially that far out.

Yes but a sign all the same that autumn isn't far away. But there where some who thought the heatwave would return ,that still doesn't look like happening.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, sundog said:

Yes but a sign all the same that autumn isn't far away. But there where some who thought the heatwave would return ,that still doesn't look like happening.

I think some of you are getting just a tad ahead of yourselves. Even disregarding the fact that August isn't over yet, there is the entire month of September to go through and it was in September 2 years ago that temperatures reached the mid 30s in parts of England.. as the saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch. September is generally a pleasant, settled month so expecting autumn to suddenly arrive all guns blazing is perhaps setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like spring lovers expecting March to suddenly usher in warm, sunny weather even though March is still a cold, cloudy month and snow is still likely. 

Don't worry though, you have October, November, December, January, February and March to enjoy. That's the good thing about being a heat hater in the UK/Ireland - you have several months of guaranteed no hot weather. Us heat lovers can't even rely on a few hot days a year normally!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I think some of you are getting just a tad ahead of yourselves. Even disregarding the fact that August isn't over yet, there is the entire month of September to go through and it was in September 2 years ago that temperatures reached the mid 30s in parts of England.. as the saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch. September is generally a pleasant, settled month so expecting autumn to suddenly arrive all guns blazing is perhaps setting yourself up for disappointment. 

True I admit. Autumn does not get really going until Oct and even then we can get summer like weather. Sept often is an extension of summer especially in many recent years. I'm sure there are a number of warm days still to come no doubt. But whatever happens now it will not quite replicate those warm hot long days of June and July.  

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, sundog said:

True I admit. Autumn does not get really going until Oct and even then we can get summer like weather. Sept often is an extension of summer especially in many recent years. I'm sure there are a number of warm days still to come no doubt. But whatever happens now it will not quite replicate those warm hot long days of June and July.  

Of course, and the general trend will always be down from a certain point anyway. 

As I said, you'll get what you want eventually - the UK and Ireland are maritime countries so the arrival of unsettled, cool weather is pretty much a certainty at some point. That's why some of us heat lovers can get a little annoyed - we know that we have to take all the hot weather we can get because we probably won't get another summer like this for 20 or more years, and hot weather in this part of the world is usually short-lived and fleeting. Even warm, sunny days are uncommon and some summers will have only a handful of such days. It's pretty depressing being a warm weather lover in this country, and those of you who hate heat don't seem to realise how lucky you are to live where you do.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

stats can be misleading.

Not if rainfall means are read in conjunction with those for temperature and sunshine, they can't...?

• Thanks 1