Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

.. just to add .. August 1st - 17th has seen more sunshine than June 1st - 17th, here.

Wow. That really does amaze me. 

June 2018 is probably the best Summer month I can remember in my 26 years of life. Just ahead of July 2006, and July 2013. 

Not as hot as those two granted, but very very dry (not one drop of rain), 300+ hours of sun and consistently sitting around 26-27c. No wind either. Perfect summer month here. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted

I think August should get two more chances to be a good summer month. If it was on a team it would have been dropped long ago. Let’s have May June and July as summer months and relegate August to Autumn where it belongs. Since 1995 there has been one decent August. That is a shocking performance.

Even with favourable background signals and teleconnections, this August has still found a way to turn mediocre. OK, there have been far more horrific Augusts in the past, but a flat westerly pattern was very much the outside option. And here we are. Hopefully the experts learn from how it has managed to defy the signals.

Posted

Next year I’m taking late June off and work through August. We grabbed a nice morning yesterday but most of the time it’s been drab and overcast. Oh well - at least we’re not suffering the severe fires or floods.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That doesn't sound right to me,

It’s right. 

It has dipped below 20mph on some occasions but has been over it at some point on every day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

It’s right. 

It has dipped below 20mph on some occasions but has been over it at some point on every day. 

surprising in SE, away from the raging Atlantic, certainly expect that oop norf

Posted
4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

It’s right. 

You recorded a wind of at least 20mph on August 5th?

BRA_1_2018080500_45.png

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Here meanwhile August is shaping up to be a notably warm month after an unremarkable June-July. 32-33C the next few days with nights above 20C. Last August was hot too.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

You recorded a wind of at least 20mph on August 5th?

BRA_1_2018080500_45.png

Umm. Think it was about 10-15mph. But did gust to 20mph occasionally. 

The last few days has been particularly windy. 

27 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I think August should get two more chances to be a good summer month. If it was on a team it would have been dropped long ago. Let’s have May June and July as summer months and relegate August to Autumn where it belongs. Since 1995 there has been one decent August. That is a shocking performance.

Even with favourable background signals and teleconnections, this August has still found a way to turn mediocre. OK, there have been far more horrific Augusts in the past, but a flat westerly pattern was very much the outside option. And here we are. Hopefully the experts learn from how it has managed to defy the signals.

I think there have been two good Augusts but neither on the level of some July of late - 1997 and 2003. Although 1997 had very high mins holding temps up so it didn't feel like an 18.9 CET month and 2003 was fairly average after the first two weeks

Posted
16 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

I think there have been two good Augusts but neither on the level of some July of late - 1997 and 2003. Although 1997 had very high mins holding temps up so it didn't feel like an 18.9 CET month and 2003 was fairly average after the first two weeks

This is true. While 2003 was a good August it is largely remembered with rose tinted glasses due to the record breaking spell. The second half/last third was really not that great. 

If we’re talking about a really great settled month then 1995 was probably the last one. 23 years ago . 

Would still bite your hand off for August 2003 now though

Edited by matty007

Posted

August 2003 similar to July 2015 really. Record breaking temperature, but on the whole, not great. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I've recorded sunshine every day this month. Admittedly, it hasn't been wall-to-wall, but still 110.1 hours so far.

Every time you've said that, i've checked stations in and around your area, and it hasn't been low. It's currently 65 - 75% RH. Not sure what your idea of low is?

I work in 95%plus humidity so i agree my view is a bit skewed,to me 65/75% is lowish,just my body adjusting to a drop,hence it feels more comfortable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
4 hours ago, cheese said:

This is one for mushy - I saw two swift-like birds today but I couldn't get a good look at them. More likely to be martins or swallows?

Yes, more likely, but there are a few stragglers so its not impossible to see swifts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

This August has just been perfectly forgettable to me, not exceptionally poor nor really great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds nice up your way. Nothing too disastrous down here but really quite dreary and yawn inducing.

Sorry to hear that. Us up Naarf have had a beautiful summers day,nice bit of sun,lovely August temps. By the looks of it something a bit better for your neck of the woods next week....fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

weather stuck in a right rut at moment,met office further outlook same old day after day,reading them is as tedious as watching an England football match.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

weather stuck in a right rut at moment,met office further outlook same old day after day,reading them is as tedious as watching an England football match.

Yes and getting worse, horror chart this

Netweather GFS Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well the first ex tropical storm of the season. When they blow up they can alter forecasts significantly so we needn't be down in the dumps about FI forecasts until the high season is over for storms?

I'm enjoying the warmth of this one currently and it looks like i'll get a sunset!