Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Yes I agree. It’s been an incredibly dull month here. Almost completely devoid of any real warmth (aside from the first couple of days) and has been extremely cloudy and drizzly. 

Feels like Summer’s really gone out on a whimper. A complete contrast to what we had in May, June and much of July. Seems like a distant memory. 

I don’t expect heatwave conditions. Just to occasionally see the sun for longer than 5 minutes and for it to feel a little warm. 

August is such a crap month since 2003 

Surprised there, thought August was best month in SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
50 minutes ago, markyo said:

Plenty of sun,but not to much.

Bugger all sun here for ages. You can’t get too much sunshine in the UK lol, impossible 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Hell no . July is usually the best month here by far. 

August since 2003 has been consistently dull and windy. 

I can remember a few nice July’s here. 2006, 2010, 2013 and 2018. (2006 and 2018 tied, 2018 sunnier) 

Can remember some good June’s too. 2006, 2015,2017, and especially 2018 (perfect Summer month. Extremely dry, warm, extremely sunny and not overly humid) 

How many good August’s can I remember since 2003? Absolutely nil. 

Posted

While we’re on the subject...I haven’t recorded a single day since August 3rd with a wind speed of under 20mph. 

I absolutely detest wind, and we’ve had nothing but it. Once you add less than 100 sun hours to it, and copious amounts of rain, just yuck. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Bugger all sun here for ages. You can’t get too much sunshine in the UK lol, impossible 

Really enjoyable Summers day up North! Low humidity,broken cloud,feels lovely and fresh,plenty of sun....whats not to like!. Sorry if your still stuck under cloud,not good at this time of year at all.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, markyo said:

Really enjoyable Summers day up North! Low humidity,broken cloud,feels lovely and fresh,plenty of sun....whats not to like!. Sorry if your still stuck under cloud,not good at this time of year at all.

Sounds nice up your way. Nothing too disastrous down here but really quite dreary and yawn inducing.

Posted

It amazes me how my location went 58 days without a drop of rain (easily the longest I can remember in my lifetime). I almost forgot what rain looked like. And I also forgot what cloud looked like. June was easily the sunniest month I can remember too.

But since the start of August? It’s preety much all I’ve seen. Just shows you what a curse this month this. Like someone flicking a switch from bliss to absolute rubbish. 

The brown grass as a result of very dry conditions for over two months here was eroded in probably 2 days of 15+mm of rain daily. It didn’t just rain, it belted it down. As if god said ‘You’ve had very dry, now to give you the exact opposite’

Anazing how quickly things can change 

Posted
31 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Yes I agree. It’s been an incredibly dull month here. Almost completely devoid of any real warmth (aside from the first couple of days) and has been extremely cloudy and drizzly. 

Feels like Summer’s really gone out on a whimper. A complete contrast to what we had in May, June and much of July. Seems like a distant memory. 

I don’t expect heatwave conditions. Just to occasionally see the sun for longer than 5 minutes and for it to feel a little warm. 

August is such a crap month since 2003 

Yes it has been,  but going even further back than 03, I would argue August has been the poorest of the summer months since the mid 90s. Most Augusts after 1995 have been disappointing( including 1996, which was cloudy, and 97 which also had cloudy humid days).

• Like 1

Using stats from the Met Office -> https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcpvj0v07

Across the UK as a whole over 1981-2010 period

Sunshine
August is the 4th sunniest month with May 1st, July 2nd, June 3rd.

image.thumb.png.fc60f9489bc332b9d1410ce7de30e913.png

Rainfall
In terms of rainfall it is 5th/6th driest, with May, April, June and July drier in that order.

February is also slightly drier but obviously has far fewer days. 

Temperatures
In terms of temps. August fairs better being in 2nd place being the second warmest just behind July.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

It amazes me how my location went 58 days without a drop of rain (easily the longest I can remember in my lifetime). I almost forgot what rain looked like. And I also forgot what cloud looked like. June was easily the sunniest month I can remember too.

But since the start of August? It’s preety much all I’ve seen. Just shows you what a curse this month this. Like someone flicking a switch from bliss to absolute rubbish. 

The brown grass as a result of very dry conditions for over two months here was eroded in probably 2 days of 15+mm of rain daily. It didn’t just rain, it belted it down. As if god said ‘You’ve had very dry, now to give you the exact opposite’

Anazing how quickly things can change 

Get ready for another cold snowy winter. It’s coming soon!! Lol

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Yes it has been,  but going even further back than 03, I would argue August has been the poorest of the summer months since the mid 90s. Most Augusts after 1995 have been disappointing( including 1996, which was cloudy, and 97 which also had cloudy humid days).

Very true. 

Can’t say I remember 95’ unfortunately as I was only 3 years old. But my father has often told me August 95’ was the best summer weather since 76’. 

August is by far the worst Summer month. If you can even call it that anymore. It’s like the Atlantic wakes up and just ambushes us. It’s very dull and often wet. September has actually been far better here on many occasions 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Very true. 

Can’t say I remember 95’ unfortunately as I was only 3 years old. But my father has often told me August 95’ was the best summer weather since 76’. 

August is by far the worst Summer month. If you can even call it that anymore. It’s like the Atlantic wakes up and just ambushes us. It’s very dull and often wet. September has actually been far better here on many occasions 

The first week of September (as soon the kids go back to School) often is far better than August. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

May, June is your summer, mine is Mid June to late July

At Penkridge, August is sunnier than June, overall, but only slightly and on a daily average is actually less sunny, but not much in it either way.

but both months are less sunny than May/July.

image.thumb.png.e19cc75206d52d513686196380537f11.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Very true. 

This is why I agree with my girlfriend who’s from Latvia. We were over there a week ago and the weather was hot and sunny,  but we had one or two days where it turned cooler. Anyway, I digress lol.

My partner said she remembers when she was younger and had the three months off for the summer, and how much better that is compared to the UK model of getting 6 weeks of in late July and August, when the weather seems to have deteriorated.

I think having June, July and August off, would be much better, because you know at some point you will experience good weather on your holidays.

I think the Uk kids get a bum deal when it comes to holidays. Just imagine how much better it would have been if everyone was off from the start of June. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, J10 said:

The first week of September (as soon the kids go back to School) often is far better than August. 

September 16’ here was far better than any August since 2003. Consistently over 21c, very sunny and preety dry. 

People can quote statistics at me all day long. Yes, statistically August may be the the 2nd warmest month, and in the top 5 sunniest. But that is for the UK as a whole and does not take into account of how it actually feels. 

No good being the second warmest month if the sun is constantly hidden by cloud and tempered by wind. 21c in the sun can feel a lot warmer than 25c behind cloud with wind. 

From my recordings, August in pretty much every year has been the cloudiest, and windiest ‘Summer’ month and most importantly, it’s felt it. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've recorded sunshine every day this month. Admittedly, it hasn't been wall-to-wall, but still 110.1 hours so far.

26 minutes ago, markyo said:

Low humidity

Every time you've said that, i've checked stations in and around your area, and it hasn't been low. It's currently 65 - 75% RH. Not sure what your idea of low is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

September 16’ here was far better than any August since 2003. Consistently over 21c, very sunny and preety dry. 

People can quote statistics at me all day long. Yes, statistically August may be the the 2nd warmest month, and in the top 5 sunniest. But that is for the UK as a whole and does not take into account of how it actually feels. 

No good being the second warmest month if the sun is constantly hidden by cloud and tempered by wind. 21c in the sun can feel a lot warmer than 25c behind cloud with wind. 

From my recordings, August in pretty much every year has been the cloudiest, and windiest ‘Summer’ month. 

and here, cloudiest and windiest, depends where you live. a westerly dominated month, so probably sunniest E of pennines

4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

From my recordings, August in pretty much every year has been the cloudiest, and windiest ‘Summer’ month.

Re the highlighted bit, 100% agree,

Also the averages are for the past 30 years, the past 10 years has seen disappointing Augusts, to say the least.

Edited by J10

Posted

The best august since 2003 is 2004 because it was the most interesting august of the whole century for the frequency of thunderstorms it was warm and humid at times too.

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

I've recorded sunshine every day this month. Admittedly, it hasn't been wall-to-wall, but still 110.1 hours so far.

Every time you've said that, i've checked stations in and around your area, and it hasn't been low. It's currently 65 - 75% RH. Not sure what your idea of low is?

110 hours up to the 18th is fairly poor really. 

June here had over 300 hours. 

I recorded over 100 in even June 2012, still a terrible month lol. You’ll always see some sun. But this month, mostly cloud. 

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

110 hours up to the 18th is fairly poor really. 

Not that poor. It's over half of the Met Office derived average for my locale. It's also running above August 2017 & 16.

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

Not that poor. It's over half of the Met Office derived average for my locale. It's also running above August 2017 & 16.

Not much of a benchmark lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
53 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

July is peak summer here in SE , August the perennial under performer since 2003 ..! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Not much of a benchmark lol. 

.. just to add .. August 1st - 17th has seen more sunshine than June 1st - 17th, here.