Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, cheese said:

A nice afternoon and evening here, a bit breezy but mostly sunny and 19C after a high of 20.4C (not far from average). Certainly doesn't feel autumnal here - and the sun still feels very strong. Negligible rain this morning (less than 0.5mm).

Now, if every day was like this, I wouldn't complain at all!

Felt lovely today with the cool breeze and pleasant temperature. More like May than what we have seen. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Certainly need a jacket now - that will always be my biggest issue even with average summer days, it cools down too quickly in the evening. Great evening for a run though.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just about cool enough for jeans for me today. Windows still wide open at home, making the most of fresh air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Pressure still looks like being relatively high in the south for much of the second half of August, but crucially that little bit further south than we saw in the N-S split pattern in the Augusts of 1989 and 1998.  I had been envisaging a sunny August in the south and a cloudier one in the north, but the current model outputs are suggesting that southern areas will often be quite cloudy as well with a fair amount of moisture around the northern flank of the ridging Azores high.

Much of the country is still on target for an exceptionally warm summer, possibly record breakingly so, but sunshine totals for the summer quarter, after the head start we had in June and July, look like falling a fair way behind 1976, 1989 and 1995.  Shame really, I had been hoping that this summer would end up ranking up there with those three.  The three month period May-July 2018 was the sunniest on record in many parts of the country though, beating 1989.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
50 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Just about cool enough for jeans for me today. Windows still wide open at home, making the most of fresh air.

And surprisingly, I wore shorts when I got home.. but I did spend most of the evening cutting some of my hedges down in height, certainly works up a sweat.

I've worn jeans a number of times this summer though, even in July.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Pressure still looks like being relatively high in the south for much of the second half of August, but crucially that little bit further south than we saw in the N-S split pattern in the Augusts of 1989 and 1998.  I had been envisaging a sunny August in the south and a cloudier one in the north, but the current model outputs are suggesting that southern areas will often be quite cloudy as well with a fair amount of moisture around the northern flank of the ridging Azores high.

Much of the country is still on target for an exceptionally warm summer, possibly record breakingly so, but sunshine totals for the summer quarter, after the head start we had in June and July, look like falling a fair way behind 1976, 1989 and 1995.  Shame really, I had been hoping that this summer would end up ranking up there with those three.  The three month period May-July 2018 was the sunniest on record in many parts of the country though, beating 1989.

More so in the West. July 2018 although sunny here was certainly not as sunny as July 2006. It seemed rather cloudy for such a warm, settled month, and after mid month we had many days with convective infill (the scourge of summer days). Indeed, after mid month there were no full sunshine days at all here, and just a few days that could be described as mostly sunny (although it remained very warm). The only major difference here between the second half of July and the first half of August here is that the first half of August has just been cooler (but still comfortably warmer than average).

And even if you hate heat, surely getting a CET record or sunshine record out of this summer would make it more worthwhile. I hated December 2015 but getting the warmest ever December by a huge margin was very interesting and made that dreadful month a bit more bearable.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This August feels more like a warmish September. Hot to start then autumn since.

• Like 1

Posted

August really has been quite a poor month for most in the past 11 years. For the north at least given the outlook it once again will go down as lacklustre and very cloudy, and quite likely a wet one - lots more rain to come, I just knew the minute United Utilities announced a hosepipe ban the heavens would open - and yes they have..

• Like 3

Posted

Does anyone recall Gibby and his very detailed yet understandle summary of what the models/charts were showing? He really was excellent imo and saved alot of time wading through verbage.

Does he still post anywhere does anyone know?

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

August really has been quite a poor month for most in the past 11 years. For the north at least given the outlook it once again will go down as lacklustre and very cloudy, and quite likely a wet one - lots more rain to come, I just knew the minute United Utilities announced a hosepipe ban the heavens would open - and yes they have..

I believe the average August temperature for 2000-2017 has actually gone down compared to 1981-2010. However, I assume it would only take one hot August to reverse that. Most June's and July's have been lackluster in recent years too but have been made up for by 1 or 2 hot months.

I also still maintain that no August in recent years has been as awful as June or July 2012, not even August 2014.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

dreadful morning... cold, smelly, autumnal, dew... bloody dew... i hate dew..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

better than it's going to be on Sunday, at least it's dry, but probably not for long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a beautiful morning,9c,fresh feel,bit of sun glistening of the due,perfect,love it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
10 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Does anyone recall Gibby and his very detailed yet understandle summary of what the models/charts were showing? He really was excellent imo and saved alot of time wading through verbage.

Does he still post anywhere does anyone know?

He still posts on FB - https://www.facebook.com/Kilmersdonweather/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

How can hate dew? Its one of the most important parts of a eco system! And one of the most beautiful!

• Like 1

Posted

The bad August thing of the past 13 years is overstated a little. We have a pretty average number of cold Augusts, what has been missing are the warm ones which have instead stayed closer to average. Equally though in the 91-04 period we saw the other side of that with 4 warm Augusts (actually all in a 9 year period) and two cold ones at the start of that period. 

• Like 1

Posted

As nice as it is to have a cooler/average spell of high teens to low 20s weather, after 3 months of heat, I’ve now had to wear a light jacket for the first time. 

This to me is a usual indication of autumn on the way. We can still get a hot spell between now and mid September, but the cooler theme is lingering just around the corner. Even if we do get a mild winter, there will be some chilly days to come.

Summer 18 has been one of the best, at least since 2013, but it’s now starting to fade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yesterday was wet, today is beautiful. Currently clear blue sunny skies. Expecting a high of 23c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just been out, on this lovely morning, and have augmented my extremely slow-growing suntan...Tanned skin = burnt skin? Nonsense!

We've evolved a white skin for a very simple reason: at our high latitudes, and without what we can now get from Tesco, our forbears simply couldn't afford to maintain a black one!:good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
3 hours ago, markyo said:

How can hate dew? Its one of the most important parts of a eco system! And one of the most beautiful!

try cutting grass for a living, youll soon 'get it'....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A cool day so far, low of 10 and up to around 17 degrees and cloudy. Not bad, it's warming up a bit tomorrow as well but should remain cloudy.