Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Warm day, reaching 24C, but it's now mostly cloud with just occasional sunny intervals and quite breezy.

Not horrible by any means but all a bit meh. It's often been like this since the third week of July though, warm but cloudy. I can't even remember the last time we had a day that was completely sunny.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Tomorrow looking a write off for west midlands, these cold fronts tend to be active, and drag their heels, normally move SSW to NNE, not W to E, making it rain longer

forecast to clear my area at 1pm, but always clears later than forecast

Posted
27 minutes ago, cheese said:

Warm day, reaching 24C, but it's now mostly cloud with just occasional sunny intervals and quite breezy.

Not horrible by any means but all a bit meh. It's often been like this since the third week of July though, warm but cloudy. I can't even remember the last time we had a day that was completely sunny.

Just looked at the stats and the last time Leeming had a day with more than 12 hours of sun was the 16th of July, and since the 16th of July Leeming has had 4 days with more than 10 hours of sun. I think some people forget or are unaware that for many parts of the UK the second half of July wasn't particularly sunny. Between 23 June-4 July every day was more or less 100% sunny but since then it's been a mixture. Indeed, the first 10 days of August were sunnier than the last 10 days of July.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
43 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Tomorrow looking a write off for west midlands, these cold fronts tend to be active, and drag their heels, normally move SSW to NNE, not W to E, making it rain longer

forecast to clear my area at 1pm, but always clears later than forecast

bbc has it clearing long before then... supposed to be in the southeast 'by lunchtime'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, cheese said:

. I think some people forget or are unaware that for many parts of the UK the second half of July wasn't particularly sunny.

I suspect that was down to how hot and dry it was!! Picking holes in this Summer is interesting,we've not had this for over a decade yet some still try and find fault with it.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

It rained every day here in July 

You are very very lucky then!! Nothing to moan about at all.....it  didn't rain all day every day or even close to that did it to be honest,even you must admit that!

Edited by markyo

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

It's ok we live in an ark

Sounds fantastic!

Posted
59 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect that was down to how hot and dry it was!! Picking holes in this Summer is interesting,we've not had this for over a decade yet some still try and find fault with it.

Because there is always fault as far as the British climate is concerned.

Posted

Very warm and humid here today with a max of 25.9C coming after a min of 16.8C. Current mean for the month is 19.4C, which is pretty high when you consider the warmest August on record here was 18.5C in 1990.

We're also on 102hrs of sunshine for the month already. Its been a good summer month so far.

Posted
17 minutes ago, reef said:

Very warm and humid here today with a max of 25.9C coming after a min of 16.8C. Current mean for the month is 19.4C, which is pretty high when you consider the warmest August on record here was 18.5C in 1990.

We're also on 102hrs of sunshine for the month already. Its been a good summer month so far.

A sensible post. 

Posted

Since the schools finished for summer holidays (very late here 27 July) the heavens have opened, and we have had consistently often cloudy wet conditions in the main, so the summer is now at least for the Lake District not going to rank alongside the high benchmarks of 1976 and 1995, despite it probably ending up the third warmest overall since 1976. However, it you class May as summer and take out August then yes the May-July period ranks alongside the two summers mentioned.

The foreseeable looks like delivering more cloud and rain, average temps at best and only limited sunshine - nailing the coffin on what will go down as another rather disappointing August overall, a final week of warmth and dry won't salvage it. Will not be surprised yet again to see the warmth and dry weather return just when the schools go back - as had happened so many times in recent years.

Personally I'm now looking ahead to Autumn - given how early summer bedded in this year as early as late April it seems, my body clock is a month ahead of itself I feel, autumn already here.. yet it is mid August still - the weather isn't helping at the moment.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 285 (up to 15th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
2018 252 <-------------------if rest of summer records a mean max of 15C, zero sunshine and rain everyday

• Like 1

Posted

Now summer appears to be over, I would give it a 7-8/10 I think.

May-July was absolutely glorious, but August yet again proving to be an autumn month.

Complete lack of storms made it very boring other than the wonderful heat we enjoyed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Now summer appears to be over, I would give it a 7-8/10 I think.

May-July was absolutely glorious, but August yet again proving to be an autumn month.

Complete lack of storms made it very boring other than the wonderful heat we enjoyed. 

The first week was hot. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Feels so Autumnal today, loving the change from June and July.

• Like 8

Posted

A nice afternoon and evening here, a bit breezy but mostly sunny and 19C after a high of 20.4C (not far from average). Certainly doesn't feel autumnal here - and the sun still feels very strong. Negligible rain this morning (less than 0.5mm).

Now, if every day was like this, I wouldn't complain at all!

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Following on from yesterdays Autumnal GFS todays is feeling even more generous, ground frost for favoured spots.:shok:

Ay, looking ugly, looks frosty Sunday night 26th, cold wind before then

gfs-0-252.png?12

Posted

So much better than yesterday,18c,lovely fresh breeze,humidity low...something missing though...oh yes sweating and headaches! Wonderful summers day at last!

• Like 3