Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Yesterday was a superb day. Warm and sunny most of the day, clouding in late afternoon. A nice breeze as well. Much more comfortable for doing outdoor activies compared to a few weeks back, whilst still being warm enough to sit around outside. Not looking as nice out today, but some convective interest this afternoon if we can catch some thundery downpours. All part of the wonderful variety of weather we get in this country.

To be honest yesterday was the perfect summers day for most areas,nothing to moan about at all regardless of preference. Today,different kettle of fish,damp,humid,not really nice at all. Next week looking fine,good for most activities. Can't complain at all

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep although the weather is becoming more transient it all looks pretty flat with that ridge from the displaced Azores high pushing towards us and the near continent. The next week looks warm if not very warm and muggy at times (sadly) and not wall to wall sunshine either, feeling that this summer as the MetO said has some time to run (as if it's not gone on long enough).

Sad thing now we still have some precipitation but we don't look like losing the heat (in the south anyway) - so the weeding starts all over again. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
22 minutes ago, markyo said:

To be honest yesterday was the perfect summers day for most areas,nothing to moan about at all regardless of preference. Today,different kettle of fish,damp,humid,not really nice at all. Next week looking fine,good for most activities. Can't complain at all

Chance of thunderstorms this afternoon though, so some interesting weather potentially around still. Maybe not great for outdoor activities admittedly.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

That will surely drop after today,surprised it hasn`t dropped after the last 2 days either Friday in particular.

There was a very slight drop but these values are rounded to nearest whole number. Further, sunshine was recorded for both days and they were enough to counteract somewhat any drop. 

Edited by Weather-history

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Yesterday was a rotten day, wet all day, whereas Thursday and Friday afternoon (sunny and warm) were far more summery and far better. 

Posted
1 minute ago, J10 said:

Yesterday was a rotten day, wet all day, whereas Thursday and Friday afternoon (sunny and warm) were far more summery and far better. 

You must have been one of those unlucky areas,most had a fantastic Saturday,near perfect Summers weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The last day that resembled summer here was Thursday. Friday, although sunny at times in the afternoon, was very wet in the morning and showers with a cool breeze followed. Saturday started well but very cool then quickly clouded over with drizzle and light rain setting in. Last night was a soaker and it's still raining.

August has a lot of redeeming to do as the abhorrent last few days have effectively cancelled out the hot few days last weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Currently 20.8C, humid with good bright periods and moderate SW breeze...Very much like 90% of the summer weather I've experienced so far, during my lifetime...:yahoo:

Posted

Read this post on another site

"I think the summer is over for most of the UK now with only the south east managing to grab a few days here and there of summer weather. 
All models are pretty much in agreement with this and even when they do demonstrate a glimpse of ridging H/P for all they quickly flip back again. This is what I suggested would happen last week as they struggle to come to terms with the reduced insolation value and therefore increased humidity at our latitude and the legacy the long, warm and dry settled spell most enjoyed this summer"

Can anyone understand what the last sentence is in on about? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Read this post on another site

"I think the summer is over for most of the UK now with only the south east managing to grab a few days here and there of summer weather. 
All models are pretty much in agreement with this and even when they do demonstrate a glimpse of ridging H/P for all they quickly flip back again. This is what I suggested would happen last week as they struggle to come to terms with the reduced insolation value and therefore increased humidity at our latitude and the legacy the long, warm and dry settled spell most enjoyed this summer"

Can anyone understand what the last sentence is in on about? 

Don`t know all I can say is we are getting lots of muggy humid air coming in from the atlantic at times inbetween some cooler fresher air.

http://weather.unisys.com/forecasts?source=6&inv=0&plot=101&region=eu&t=l&view=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Very humid , warm and breezy reminds of being in Cornwall in late summer. Here in north Surrey it feels like a typical August day - it has however been a bit of a mixed bag so far , if it doesn’t settle down soon it will feel like the curse of August again !! 

• Like 1

Posted

Disappointing day so far in Somerset with no sign of grey drizzle with breeze stopping despite promise of thundery showers with sunny intervals. Doubly annoying as it was much the same yesterday and it’s the start of my week's holiday       

Swansea 

3 hours ago, markyo said:

You must have been one of those unlucky areas,most had a fantastic Saturday,near perfect Summers weather!

Overall the past fortnight has been decent, although not reaching the heights of may June and July. The frustration being that the 2 washout days have both been Saturday's ( yesterday and sat 29).

On another point will the warm SST around the UK pep up the showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A dull day but very little rain fell, 2.2mm is our grand total. Max was 21C and it's very humid so at least it feels reasonably warm. Still pretty meh though.

I'm not sure if any sunshine has been recorded today so this could be our first sunless day since sometime in June when we got those horrid North Sea gloom days. Even with it cooling down recently there's still been a decent amount of sunshine.

Edited by cheese

Posted

0.6mm of rain here since midnight, taking us to 2.0mm for the month. GFS only has a further 19mm here until the 27th and it nearly always overestimates.

Still a good chance of a dry and warm month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Crap day here with no sun, loads of drizzle, wind and cloud. 18C currently, I mean, really. Waste of a summer weekend. Just over the Channel, sunny and 30C. Grrrrr

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

After the summer we have had so far its fantastic to be back into a normal UK summer,such a relief!

Today has been to cloudy granted but next week looks fine,no complaints at all. At least that vile heat has gone for good by the looks of the model outputs. Not a moment to soon.

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Crap day here with no sun, loads of drizzle, wind and cloud. 18C currently, I mean, really. Waste of a summer weekend. Just over the Channel, sunny and 30C. Grrrrr

Reminds me of recent summers - crap in the UK, great in northern France. Even in the Netherlands and Belgium it's sunny and warm. The channel is a great big barrier sometimes.

On the other hand, its 16C and raining in Copenhagen. There's always somewhere worse.

Hopefully more in the way of sunshine in the coming days. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

some folk are never satisfied, I know its the moans thread but really, yes grotty day here as well but more days of heat and sun than for many years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

some folk are never satisfied, I know its the moans thread but really, yes grotty day here as well but more days of heat and sun than for many years.

As you mention yourself, this is the moans thread - if you don't want to see people moaning about the weather then just don't click on it. Simple, no?

I think all heat lovers are perfectly satisfied with the summer we've had but that doesn't mean we are not entitled to have a whinge about days like today. If it was the opposite and today was a hot sunny day after a rainy/cloudy summer then the heat haters would be doing the same thing. What exactly do you expect? 

And if anything, this summer has just made heat lovers even more sensitive to cloudy/damp days like today, because it reminds us of how crap our climate usually is and how much better the weather is in other countries. I believe stainesbloke is moving to Czechia soon anyway so he'll finally be rid of our wretched maritime climate. Hopefully I can leave eventually too.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, stainesbloke said:

I acknowledge that. Certainly an summer here, better than any in my lifetime, perhaps with the exception of 1976. I’m very happy to have experienced it. Still, I can’t help wanting more sunshine and warmth in summer. This weather is foul. We get far too much of it here, all year round.

It is the moans thread you don’t have to justify your posting in here !! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Reminds me of recent summers - crap in the UK, great in northern France. Even in the Netherlands and Belgium it's sunny and warm. The channel is a great big barrier sometimes.

On the other hand, its 16C and raining in Copenhagen. There's always somewhere worse.

Hopefully more in the way of sunshine in the coming days. 

Normally, S & E Britain is also hot/sunny when the near continent is, with the dividing line generally much further N & W. Annoying when the fronts sit right over us, though. 

Posted

Not a moan, and fine for any who want to moan, this is to say how good this summer has been, so far.

Today at 20.7 C, almost no sun is the 2nd coldest day since 17 June, too much heat at times for me, along with the humidity, but that is just my personal feeling, others have enjoyed it.

I am not sure how long it is since a summer as dry and warm/hot as this has been, certainly not in my records going back to 1997. I suspect 1976, not in this area but working in Manchester is probably the last time I experienced such prolonged dry weather and heat with it.

• Like 2