Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted

A bunch of sniping posts have been removed, as have comments about people not being entitled to have an opinion about the weather at the moment. Some folks need to grow up a tad and accept that sometimes other people are different and enjoy different weather types rather than getting up in arms about it.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
8 hours ago, cheese said:

It's called acclimatisation - of course average weather is going to feel cool compared to what we've become accustomed to over the past 2 months. It's no more spoilt than you lot moaning because a mere 2 months of out of our usual cloudy/rainy year has been interrupted with something that actually resembles a proper summer.

And typical summer weather? It's currently 12 degrees and raining here. There is nothing 'typical' about that. i don't care who you are, 12 degrees at 2:50pm in August is cold. 

Completely agree. 

The weather of the last two days has been a complete and utter joke. It actually feels like October or November. How can it change so quickly? 17c and constant rain would be very normal for October, but for August? It’s ridiculously bad. 

While I adore weather like we had before, I’m also a realist, I didn’t expect it to last forever. I was however expecting a much less painful transition. 20-21c with some sunshine and even light showers every couple of days would have been okay. Not great, but okay. 

I just ask for something sensible and reasonable. A 10c drop in one day and from bone dry to a washout is a complete joke. It’s like someone flicked the switch from high Summer to late Autumn overnight. A bit like going from 1976 to 2007 overnight 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
6 hours ago, matty007 said:

Completely agree. 

The weather of the last two days has been a complete and utter joke. It actually feels like October or November. How can it change so quickly? 17c and constant rain would be very normal for October, but for August? It’s ridiculously bad. 

While I adore weather like we had before, I’m also a realist, I didn’t expect it to last forever. I was however expecting a much less painful transition. 20-21c with some sunshine and even light showers every couple of days would have been okay. Not great, but okay. 

I just ask for something sensible and reasonable. A 10c drop in one day and from bone dry to a washout is a complete joke. It’s like someone flicked the switch from high Summer to late Autumn overnight. A bit like going from 1976 to 2007 overnight 

Then I think you are going to be destined for further disappointments I'm afraid. We live in the UK, which has a wonderful variable climate, which offers something of interest to most throughout the year. I would suggest this type of change is not totally uncommon in this country during significant transitions between weather patterns. 

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

certainly Autumn mornings now, somewhere may have got a ground frost, clear skies, light winds, only westerly air too, northerly would have thought would be frosty

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 290 (up to 10th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
2018 246 <----------------------------if rest of August records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

I think it is safe to say now  that this will be the best summer since at least 1995 for the Manchester area.

The 2018 index will overtake the 2003 and 2013 index values. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

As i thought next week is looking more or less dry with only a few incursions of rain for most after Sundays much needed event. Not sure why some folk interrupted the models to show 7 days of rain,can't work that one out.

Lovely start to a weekend,blue sky and 9c slowly warming up,perfect summer fair!

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The last few mornings have felt nice and fresh,got down to 7c early this morning. I'm so glad the near constant warmth of this summer is all over bar the shouting imo. Not saying any warmth is over but the worst or best  (depending on your point of view) is now over.

• Like 1

Posted

Down to 4.6C overnight here, didn't expect it to be quite that low!

9 hours ago, matty007 said:

Completely agree. 

Tbh most places in Europe can get the odd day being cool and wet due to the placement of a low.
Continental areas also more often get bigger swings in temperature.
I don't mind the odd day of poor weather really, it's if it becomes weeks. Though tbh recent days have been a bit cool/showery here and this weekend isn't looking great.

It will be back to the mid-20's for you soon though of course in an average summer 6C above average days could be balanced by 6C below average days (or a longer duration of slightly below average).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
53 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Interesting latest met text update for rest of August into September, hinting at the 'chance' that summer(heat) maybe over.:shok:

For me say's it all!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Interesting latest met text update for rest of August into September, hinting at the 'chance' that summer(heat) maybe over.:shok:

How come you forgot this bit? "increased risk of hot spells also returning"

Just under 43 days of Summer left. September can be a beauty of a month for some very warm/hot weather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

i think thats pretty likely tbh. if the heat was going to return it would be more likely to come back after a brief break. currently theres no real sign of a lengthy settled/hot spell returning in the next 2 weeks . ok, the far south wont be too bad and we are likely to get short lived hot days.. so with all due respect to those who try to interpret the ever more complex teleconnections, i just cannot see the atlantic trough/downstream ridging becoming reality, much though id like to see it.

we have enjoyed a great summer, one to rival and join many from the past. but i just cant see any lengthy settled heat (over 25c) away from the favoured southeast.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just under 43 days of Summer left. September can be a beauty of a month for some very warm/hot weather.

I never understood why we when have got a meteorological definition of summer, people hang on to the astronomical definition?

Further to that I think the astronomical definition is baloney, anyway. The sun is at its strongest from Beltane to Lughnasadh with the centre of this period being the solstice. So why is the 19th September considered within astronomical summer when the sun strength is about strong as late March and the 19th June, when the Sun is at its peak in strength is spring? 

So surely the astronomical summer should be Beltane to Lughnasadh, where the northern hemisphere gets the maximum length and intensity in sunlight for the year? 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

For me say's it all!

rubbish song, my era early noughties for rhythm and dance

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I never understood why we when have got a meteorological definition of summer, people hang on to the astronomical definition?

Further to that I think the astronomical definition is baloney, anyway. The sun is at its strongest from Beltane to Lughnasadh with the centre of this period being the solstice. So why is the 19th September considered within astronomical summer when the sun strength is about strong as late March and the 19th June, when the Sun is at its peak in strength is spring? 

So surely the astronomical summer should be Beltane to Lughnasadh, where the northern hemisphere gets the maximum length and intensity in sunlight for the year? 

The met definition of Summer is just for keeping tidy statistics, nothing more. It would become messy if using the astro way, as solstices/equinoxes change frequently.

I have always stood by the astronomical definition.It's simple and not complicated, and it's what I was taught at School. I don't understand the need to change definitions & meanings because of festivals or cultures. Like the Irish calendar - Summer is May 1st to July 31st. Give it another 100 years, and they'll  be hundreds of definitions of Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
36 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The met definition of Summer is just for keeping tidy statistics, nothing more. It would become messy if using the astro way, as solstices/equinoxes change frequently.

I have always stood by the astronomical definition.It's simple and not complicated, and it's what I was taught at School. I don't understand the need to change definitions & meanings because of festivals or cultures. Like the Irish calendar - Summer is May 1st to July 31st. Give it another 100 years, and they'll  be hundreds of definitions of Summer.

I find astronomical seasons better reflect the weather.  For example, snow is much more likely after the December solstice rather than the 1st of December.  In my eyes September has and always will be a summer month as mean temperatures are similar to that of June.

Posted
2 minutes ago, gbrunner12 said:

I find astronomical seasons better reflect the weather.  For example, snow is much more likely after the December solstice rather than the 1st of December.  In my eyes September has and always will be a summer month as mean temperatures are similar to that of June.

kinda depends where you are, May I would say summerier than Aug in Scotland/N Ireland

but other way round south UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
18 minutes ago, gbrunner12 said:

I dont.

Spring most years clearly starts before march 21st. 

I agree with weather historys post. In fact the anglo saxons whos terms we still use for the seasons ran summer ftom around may 7th until about now in august. That explains why midsummers day is june 24th. Thats clearly at odds with the later quarter days being employed. You cant have summer starting on june 21st, midsummers day june 24th... 

Despite the warmth mid aug to late sept, its very much like autumn in  nature. Plenty of berries ripe nnow, harvest is nearly all in, etc. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Summer for me down here in the south usually feels over by 10th September - doesn’t mean you can’t have warm weather after this date, because of the light it just feels like autumn even if it’s hot. When we had that amazing end to September in 2011 amazing summer temps but it just didn’t feel like summer!

• Like 1

Posted

This is exactly why I stick to the astronomical version. Everybody starts mentioning cultural variations of the seasons, that date back to when our calendars were different. It causes far too much confusion!

I stick to the Met variation for the data on my website, just like the Met Office do, otherwise it'd never work properly. But in weather and climate terms, it will always be the astronomical version for me, personally.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

How come you forgot this bit? "increased risk of hot spells also returning"

Because I'm not interested in any more hot spells thanks!