Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
26 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

im not sure how it works either, in fact i have not got a clue! lol.. but im surprised 1975 is so low..

id be fascinated to do this for derby, but i dont suppose the data exists?..

75 is in the top ten though sounds about right !?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Feeling rather chilly today, just 16C here in the rain. Don’t mind rain after such a long dry spell but the cold is unpleasant. Add 10C and I’ll be happy again.

Not great here despite being largely dry (we had a brief shower around 1pm). Once again we had sunshine in the morning but it's now cloudy and it certainly doesn't feel warm at all. People are wearing jackets, and someone at work told me they closed all their windows because their house was getting too cool! These are the same kind of people who might have complained about it being too warm but will now complain that it's not warm enough. Today will be our first day since 21 June to have a max below 20C.

Tomorrow looks worse though with heavy showers and a forecast max of only 17C. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not great here despite being largely dry (we had a brief shower around 1pm). Once again we had sunshine in the morning but it's now cloudy and it certainly doesn't feel warm at all. People are wearing jackets, and someone at work told me they closed all their windows because their house was getting too cool! These are the same kind of people who might have complained about it being too warm but will now complain that it's not warm enough. Today will be our first day since 21 June to have a max below 20C.

Tomorrow looks worse though with heavy showers and a forecast max of only 17C. 

A maximum of 17C is really not great for August. Heavy showers are forecast for here tomorrow too with the chance of thunder but temperatures will be scraping average, at least. Thankfully, the weekend looks warmer here, if rather cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Awful day today in the SE, such a contrast compared to recent weeks. We were up at 32c a couple of days ago. Today is wet and cool. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

75 is in the top ten though sounds about right !?

i can only comment on the summers i lived through, but id put 75 easily ahead of 84.  76 on top, followed by 75, 83, 95, but im not sure in what order!
its not looking like this year will match the longevity of those summers. in essence its only been 'hot' for 7 weeks , here anyway as we missed out on a lot of earlier heat/warmth due to stratus off the north sea.  i think manchester might have fared better over on the west.

so in the absence of any more heat this summer (before sept 1) , id rate this summer just behind those, but ahead of 03, 06, 13, 84, 96, 90, 89, .  that though is going on memory and not sunshine levels/days over 25c, max temps, rain days, or however a 'summer index' is comprised. i would accept the findings of local stats.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Fantastic day work wise,fresh,nice breeze,ability to cool down exiting sites,no headache. Very nice indeed,very happy chap

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Fantastic day work wise,fresh,nice breeze,ability to cool down exiting sites,no headache. Very nice indeed,very happy chap

Yep, it's been ok today. Sunny but only 21.5c which has been much more comfortable!

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

its not looking like this year will match the longevity of those summers. in essence its only been 'hot' for 7 weeks , here anyway as we missed out on a lot of earlier heat/warmth due to stratus off the north sea.  i think manchester might have fared better over on the west.

Been the sunniest June and July period on record and then add in May as well. Truely exceptional.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
31 minutes ago, simshady said:

Yep, it's been ok today. Sunny but only 21.5c which has been much more comfortable!

For me it was just about perfect,bit of sun,bit of cloud,really lovely Summer conditions in my view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
46 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Been the sunniest June and July period on record and then add in May as well. Truely exceptional.

Very much the same here.

SunshineByMonth.thumb.png.9703e476a70d7a0fefab7b46994e59ca.png

August is creeping along nicely, too.

I've recorded 1212.7 hours already this year. Compare that to 1440.4 hours for the whole of 2017. Not bad!

• Like 2

Posted

Thought 1989/1990 and to a lesser extent 1991 were very hot dry summers fields were brown then.

First single figure min last night 8.9c but today was pretty warm 21.8c max little wind until this afternoon lots of sun some clouds bubble,one darkish one turned into a shower way out east later.

Nonstop sun until 11.20ish morning warming it up more.

21.8c max

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
8 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Thought 1989/1990 and to a lesser extent 1991 were very hot dry summers fields were brown then.

First single figure min last night 8.9c but today was pretty warm 21.8c max little wind until this afternoon lots of sun some clouds bubble,one darkish one turned into a shower way out east later.

Nonstop sun until 11.20ish morning warming it up more.

21.8c max

i think 91 was regional ... i was going through some upheaval at the time, divorce and starting self employment. i remember it as dry and rather cloudy.  others though have argued it was sunny and hot..

Posted
21 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Summer 1991 started off with one of the coldest Junes on record. It got better after June with a pretty good end to August. 8th coldest June for the CET. Remember it well. Cloudy, cold and pretty wet at times. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

i can only comment on the summers i lived through, but id put 75 easily ahead of 84.  76 on top, followed by 75, 83, 95, but im not sure in what order!

This is how the memory plays tricks though. In 1975, 1983 and 1995 the Junes all had a CET of 14.7C or below. In the cases of 1983 and 1995 they were actually pretty average overall temperature-wise. They also came after close to average or cold Mays (9.9C, 10.3C and 11.6C)

Its extremely rare for heat to last much longer than 7-8 weeks through a summer in the UK, which is why 1976 is so highly rated. Even so, despite the more changeable outlook, its very likely August 2018 will still be quite a way above average by the end, which would ensure 2018 finishes in the tops ranks of summers.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Was a absolutely vile day today here in East Anglia. Rained started at 8am and didn’t stop until 6pm! Sitting around 17c too which for this time of year is despicable. 

It felt like we were transported from Summer to late Autumn overnight. Always amazes me how quick the weather can go downhill. If I didn’t know and somebody told me today that we just had a two month long heatwave, I would have laughed and thought they were mad. 

Seriously one of the worst August days I can ever remember. And the rains just started again. The blissful weather we had this Summer seems like a very distant memory and it was only yesterday it was sunny and 25c

Edited by matty007

Posted

What is going on here! A few hours ago it was showing tomorrow as 22c with sunny intervals. Now it’s dropped down to 17c with rain again!! This is atrocious. Summer has fallen off a cliff with weights on. 

A564B098-E100-431A-B686-15F1DF9FF218.png

Posted

GFS shows 59mm here next week! That's more than our average for the entire month of August falling in just 7 days. That would be beyond appalling, the very definition of a washout.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but honestly my hopes for this month are beginning to fade. A bit of rain I can handle but a month's worth of rain in a week is simply not necessary.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Had 11mm of rain today followed by one almighty thunderstorm this evening,awesome lightning! Chilly now in London at 12c. What a change but a very interesting day of weather. Hopefully more to come.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

GFS shows 59mm here next week! That's more than our average for the entire month of August falling in just 7 days. That would be beyond appalling, the very definition of a washout.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but honestly my hopes for this month are beginning to fade. I was hoping for at least an average month but the recent output suggests a wet month, if not particularly cool. Sigh.

I’m with you. 

August is a curse in this country. Should technically see the highest temperatures as the suns at its strongest but it’s always blighted by rain, wind and lacklustre/woeful temperatures. It’s when the Atlantic knocks at our door it seems

Despite this, I really thought this would be the year that bucked the trend. That anticyclonic flow we had seemed invincible and it seemed the invincible summer. But no, it has very quickly gone away. Started off well this month and for a time looked like we may have a 2003 revisit, especially with all that major heat in Southern Europe. (Quite funny when you consider that tomorrow we are sitting at 17c, and on that same record breaking day in 2003, We were at 38c). A 21c difference. A stark reminder that however great a summer, and no matter the duration and strength, and how much heat you think you’ve accumulated, it can quickly die off indeed. 

This August looks like being a major stain on this otherwise monumental Summer. Regardless of if the last bit is great or not. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
21 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I’m with you. 

August is a curse in this country. Should technically see the highest temperatures as the suns at its strongest but it’s always blighted by rain, wind and lacklustre/woeful temperatures. It’s when the Atlantic knocks at our door it seems

Despite this, I really thought this would be the year that bucked the trend. That anticyclonic flow we had seemed invincible and it seemed the invincible summer. But no, it has very quickly gone away. Started off well this month and for a time looked like we may have a 2003 revisit, especially with all that major heat in Southern Europe. (Quite funny when you consider that tomorrow we are sitting at 17c, and on that same record breaking day in 2003, We were at 38c). A 21c difference. A stark reminder that however great a summer, and no matter the duration and strength, and how much heat you think you’ve accumulated, it can quickly die off indeed. 

This August looks like being a major stain on this otherwise monumental Summer. Regardless of if the last bit is great or not. 

On average it is just as warm and sunny as July (percentage-wise), and is usually the sunniest or second sunniest month of the year in southern and eastern England - an impressive feat considering the much shorter days - but it has really failed to deliver in recent years. We need another 2003 or 1995 to remind everyone that August is the real king of heat. This year definitely isn't going to be it though.

Edited by cheese

Posted

The writing was on the wall on Tuesday. We saw a similar occurrence on July 27th but a swift reload was always evident. This time (on Tuesday) the plume injected great instability in the atmosphere and ‘washed away’ the high pressure and the SSW flow we had since February. It was evident that was the end. 

I always said that plumes in this country, while great for the day or two, do far more harm than good by bringing about a Atlantic insurgence. Happens 9 times out of 10. 

I would have much rather have held onto the stable air mass we had and have a consistent mid twenties Celsius and dry pattern, than get that plume and induce all that instability. 

I hate plumes for that very reason. They often spell the end. Not bad in summers that have been poor anyway, but in summers like this one, they are the last thing you want 

Edited by matty007

Posted
3 hours ago, matty007 said:

August is a curse in this country. Should technically see the highest temperatures as the suns at its strongest

The sun actually is at its weakest for the meteorological summer (June, July, August) during August. Strongest is late June around the solstice. The sun strength at the end of August is about the same as mid-late April.

You are thinking of thermal lag, the warmest period on average occurs a few weeks after the solstice. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

People have been truly spoilt this summer with the amount of hot, sunny weather (if heat is your thing). We have now had a small number of typical UK summer days, with sunny periods, cloudier at times with the odd shower, lightish winds and temps around the low twenties celsius for most and there are people talking about how autumnal it feels and the need for coats...lol. God help those people when proper autumnal weather actually arrives!

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 4

Posted

The much needed rain is due next week by the looks of it for the farmers and wildlife,at last the corner might have been turned for those areas. Long time coming and very welcome i suspect!