Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
59 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Sorry, but stats are irrelevant to me as when I post about the weather it's my SUBJECTIVE experience.  Some people don't seem able to understand the difference.  This is the Moans, Ramps and Chat thread not one of the formal threads, where I avoid posting.

But you stated matter of fact that the end of September 1969 saw a mini heatwave, and then quoted the stat that it was in the 70's. 
You only mentioned subjective experience and 'stats being irrelevant' afterwards when people suggested otherwise.

If that's how we do things I may as well say it was 36C yesterday because I was doing physical work outside and felt pretty hot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just started raining in Rotherham,feels like the first shower after being asleep for a long time,feels and smells lovely.Not forecast at all.

Showers were forecast today drove through 2 showers this afternoon just the other side shrewsbury.not much here as its all dried up again.

Hit and miss today 20.1c max here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Showers were forecast today drove through 2 showers this afternoon just the other side shrewsbury.not much here as its all dried up again.

Hit and miss today 20.1c max here

Very hit and miss,some quite sharp ones about down the central spine of England at the moment judging from the radar

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1533698700&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.45

Posted
19 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

But you stated matter of fact that the end of September 1969 saw a mini heatwave, and then quoted the stat that it was in the 70's. 
You only mentioned subjective experience and 'stats being irrelevant' afterwards when people suggested otherwise.

If that's how we do things I may as well say it was 36C yesterday because I was doing physical work outside and felt pretty hot.

Yep, you can't argue with data if it says otherwise. 

It's like that old Marx Brothers gag "Who are you going to believe? Me or those crooked X-rays?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
55 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

I was always under the impression that 1969 was during the late Sixties  I'm obviously mistaken. 

"But you stated matter of fact" - I didn't.  A subjective opinion isn't a "fact".

"You only mentioned subjective experience " I wasn't quoting "stats", I was describing a subjective experience.  That's all I mentioned: a subjective experience although I know the temp. was in the Seventies F but that's not a "stat", it was the temperature I measured in one particular area, under particular circumstances for my own interest.  Again, that's why I don't frequent or post in the "formal" forums.

"If that's how we do things I may as well say it was 36C yesterday because I was doing physical work outside and felt pretty hot.".  Precisely, you've answered your own question. 

My impression of today is distinctly autumnal: cloudy, windy, showery with the max here a miserable 19C and the prospect of a distinctly chilly night.  That's not a hard "stat", that's my subjective impression.  Perhaps I should do what I used to do, emphasise that all my posts are subjective because I don't keep weather records any more, although I did during previous years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another reason I’m glad to live where I do coming up this weekend! Classic nw/se split looks like developing....miserable 20c with wind and rain in the NW, looks like sunny and 23-27c down here Saturday and Sunday! Bliss!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Memories are much more memorable than stats that is a fact.

So much more i've found. Stats don't take individuals perception or view of weather into account. Memories are far far more important i believe. At that specific time at that specific place the feel and tone of the weather can be vastly different to what the stats portray. Stats have their place but are of limited use in many occasions,they can distort what actually is happening with regard to how the weather actually feels on the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

So much more i've found. Stats don't take individuals perception or view of weather into account. Memories are far far more important i believe. At that specific time at that specific place the feel and tone of the weather can be vastly different to what the stats portray. Stats have their place but are of limited use in many occasions,they can distort what actually is happening with regard to how the weather actually feels on the ground.

I've gone all Dean Martin now.

A v nice 23c today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Stats have their place but are of limited use in many occasions,they can distort what actually is happening with regard to how the weather actually feels on the ground.

What'chu talkin' 'bout,Willis?

https://warehamwx.co.uk/datasummary_sql.php

^ All of the data recorded by my station shows exactly what was happening on the ground.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

What'chu talkin' 'bout,Willis?

https://warehamwx.co.uk/datasummary_sql.php

^ All of the data recorded by my station shows exactly what was happening on the ground.

That's of little use to a Mole though

And back to Dean Martin for me and the Moles

20c here, a pleasant summer evening and a nice break from high night temps, wont be needing the fan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I was always under the impression that 1969 was during the late Sixties  I'm obviously mistaken. 

"But you stated matter of fact" - I didn't.  A subjective opinion isn't a "fact".

"You only mentioned subjective experience " I wasn't quoting "stats", I was describing a subjective experience.  That's all I mentioned: a subjective experience although I know the temp. was in the Seventies F but that's not a "stat", it was the temperature I measured in one particular area, under particular circumstances for my own interest.  Again, that's why I don't frequent or post in the "formal" forums.

"If that's how we do things I may as well say it was 36C yesterday because I was doing physical work outside and felt pretty hot.".  Precisely, you've answered your own question. 

My impression of today is distinctly autumnal: cloudy, windy, showery with the max here a miserable 19C and the prospect of a distinctly chilly night.  That's not a hard "stat", that's my subjective impression.  Perhaps I should do what I used to do, emphasise that all my posts are subjective because I don't keep weather records any more, although I did during previous years.

If you had said it felt like a particular temperature, rather than stating it was x temperature, then I doubt anyone would have called you up on it. Obviously a certain temperature can feel hotter or cooler than it is but that's why you say 'it felt like it was 30 degrees' even if it was only 25 degrees, or whatever. Otherwise there's no point getting upset or defensive when your original post caused confusion because you weren't clear in what you were saying.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Felt distinctly chilly tonight riding back from my swim session, was actually wearing a fleecy hoodie which I haven't needed for months.  Also needed lights on my bike coming home, another unwelcome sign of approaching autumn.  Mind you I'd just got out a swimming pool with water at 29C, and being lazy I didn't actually pedal, just let the motor do all the work.

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Its like this last winter we`ve had everybody you talk around here to say its seemed the longest coldest hardest winter they can remember for 3 decades and will never be forgotten.

The first half of march which was extreme, still counts as winter to the 21st(first day of spring) of not actual weather related.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Its like this last winter we`ve had everybody you talk around here to say its seemed the longest coldest hardest winter they can remember for 3 decades and will never be forgotten.

The first half of march which was extreme, still counts as winter to the 21st of weather related.

The two most savage winters in the 20th century where 1946/7 (before I was born) and 1962/3 which I most definitely remember. 1981/2 wasn't too far behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It was actually a rather nice evening with sunshine and cirrus coloured pink by the sunset, but yes it was much too cool, even by the standards of an average summer''s day.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

After enduring a period where i could have probably slept on the covers, last night was certainly the coolest in a while since i woke up actually feeling a little chilly. 

• Like 3

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 291 (up to 8th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 

2018  243 <-------------------if rest of summer records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Feeling rather chilly today, just 16C here in the rain. Don’t mind rain after such a long dry spell but the cold is unpleasant. Add 10C and I’ll be happy again.

Posted

Hottest day of the summer here. Currently 34C, expecting a high of 36C.

Managed to get the bedroom down to 30C. Might even make it to 28C before the end of September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
48 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 

2018  243 <-------------------if rest of summer records zero sunshine, rain everyday and a mean maximum of 15C

not sure how it works, 252 looking likely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

1976 301
1995 298
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 

im not sure how it works either, in fact i have not got a clue! lol.. but im surprised 1975 is so low..

id be fascinated to do this for derby, but i dont suppose the data exists?..