Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well what a difference, this morning. We still had to have the fan on, in our "sauna" of a bedroom, last night. But actually woke up with, cold feeling legs. Actually had to resort to putting on, long pyjama bottoms rather than shorts, to come downstairs. Something I havn't done in weeks. So to the chappy on the MOD thread who suggested that this interminable heat, was a "win win" situation, for everybody. Today, for me anyway, is a "win win" situation. Have really struggled with health issues, during this spell, culminating with an appearance at a hospital, in Sidcup. Wife frantic with worry that BP had gone through the roof and I was about to have another stroke!! Fortunately, BP was fine and doctor suggested I was suffering from heat exhaustion. 

One individual even had the temerity to suggest I was "laying down a guilt trip". NO, laying of guilt trips here, just offering balance to some over zealous ramping, in other parts of the forum!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This morning is what summer should be like,comfortable,easy to live with. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM showing the potential for further heat later next week

ECMOPUK00_192_2.thumb.png.f9833a3ad6235910b73d938da9b03ed3.pngECMOPUK00_216_2.thumb.png.f0399644b5e30b60f0bea3ac0d8fe77d.pngECMOPUK00_240_2.thumb.png.c377d9b2c2df0351bf323e22bc4dd9b7.png

A long way off yet but one to watch

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well the heat has gone, but it’s still a glorious sunny morning with barely a cloud in the sky. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sadly just a 'blip' until satin's bottom weather returns...I just wish it would do one, we've had months of it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 07/08/2018 at 05:30, reef said:

I think you must be thinking of the end of October 1969 into November, as October that year was exceptionally warm (13.0C CET), with a very warm spell at the end, followed by a cold November (5.4C CET).

No, my long-term memory is very keen.  In my neck of the woods the last weekend in September saw temps. in the 70s F as I remember wandering round Chester overdressed for the heat (we used old money in those days).  Summer '69 was mediocre at best with our intended holiday in North Wales rained off - we bailed out and went home so that late September mini-heatwave was a welcome surprise.

I'm not interested in stats, but how I experienced the weather at the time.  It became noticeably colder during early October as I had to ride a bike to work so was very aware of the chill.   Likewise sunshine stats are misleading as often any sunshine occurs during the small hours before most of us are up with the almost inevitable grey lid slamming down around breakfast time - which has been the case so far this week.

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not great for al fresco dining either. I imagine many restaurants with outdoor seating areas will be bringing out their outdoor heaters today.

Tonight I'm going swimming at my local leisure centre,  doing so outdoors would be a thankless affair.  Looking at the future prospect, it looks like Summer '18 is now done and dusted, at least here in the NW with early autumn now here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Now that i can understand coming from yourself

Some how i doubt very much outdoor dinning will be brought indoors and heaters on today,that is stretching it to far even for you!

Nope, it isn't. On a typical summer's day, this is what outdoor seating areas will look like:

Banyan-Bar-Kitchen-Leeds-City-Centre-Ext

Sitting outside and eating is a very different affair to being physically active.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Tonight I'm going swimming at my local leisure centre,  doing so outdoors would be a thankless affair.  Looking at the future prospect, it looks like Summer '18 is now done and dusted, at least here in the NW with early autumn now here.

Not sure about that Pete,just got a feeling September might bring something more to your liking,there's hope yet for a last outdoor swim!. I know how much the Winter months effect you.☹️

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Nope, it isn't. On a typical summer's day, this is what outdoor seating areas will look like:

Banyan-Bar-Kitchen-Leeds-City-Centre-Ext

Looks nice,bit posh for me though in Leeds. Probably look like that today i bet

Posted
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

No, my long-term memory is very keen.  In my neck of the woods the last weekend in September saw temps. in the 70s F as I remember wandering round Chester overdressed for the heat (we used old money in those days).  Summer '69 was mediocre at best with our intended holiday in North Wales rained off - we bailed out and went home so that late September mini-heatwave was a welcome surprise.

I'm not interested in stats, but how I experienced the weather at the time.  It became noticeably colder during early October as I had to ride a bike to work so was very aware of the chill.   Likewise sunshine stats are misleading as often any sunshine occurs during the small hours before most of us are up with the almost inevitable grey lid slamming down around breakfast time - which has been the case so far this week.

I can assure you, it wasn't 70F on the last weekend of September 1969.

NOAA_1_1969092706_2.png

The last weekend in October (as I mentioned before) however:

NOAA_1_1969102612_2.png

October 1969 was the warmest in the CET series until 2001. Whether you're interested in stats or not is irrelevant, that's what happened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, reef said:

NOAA_1_1969092706_2.png

NOAA_1_1969102612_2.png

October 1969 was the warmest in the CET series until 2001. Whether you're interested in stats or not is irrelevant, that's what happened.

I think it was 80F, somewhere in the SE, on October 1st 1969?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Would have been a meteorological miracle

NOAA_1_1969100118_2.png

You're right enough, Mr D...But London did record a max of 24.4C. on the 9th. So that must be what I can remember...It was a long time ago!:D

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

NOAA_1_1969092706_2.png

NOAA_1_1969102612_2.png

Sorry, but stats are irrelevant to me as when I post about the weather it's my SUBJECTIVE experience.  Some people don't seem able to understand the difference.  This is the Moans, Ramps and Chat thread not one of the formal threads, where I avoid posting.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

Posted

Enough is enough. If you like the heat, great. If you don't like it, that's great too. It's not a competition. This consistent butting of heads trying somehow to prove one point of view is right or wrong is getting tiring and all a bit pathetic really. As mentioned above, it's subjective, there are no rights and wrongs here.

Someone who does or doesn't like a weather type doesn't need to be guilt tripped and called selfish with stories of how certain weather conditions create problems, since frankly no-one can control what the weather is going to do. And whether it be hot, cold, wet, or dry, the weather can and does create issues for people, nature, business etc. 

So, any more of this stuff, please report it. And those consistently harping on and on about it, please stop now before we end up having to stop you taking part in these discussions. 

(PS - the raft of posts on this subject from this afternoon have been deleted)

Edited by Paul
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

From 31c yesterday to a current temperature of 24c in London. Still a beautiful, largely sunny day with just a bit of fair weather cloud. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Yup very pleasant out today - had lunch outside in little Chalfont Bucks and definitely no need for a patio heater !! Happy for it to stay like this for rest of August low to mid twenties would be smashing :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Just started raining in Rotherham,feels like the first shower after being asleep for a long time,feels and smells lovely.Not forecast at all.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Paul said:

B*****er i missed that one!! Last time i listen to the BBC or ITV or CH4 weather! It was like looking out at a unexpected snow fall in winter! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had nice sunshine until around 12 when we got loads of convective infill. Pretty crap really. Top temp of 21C.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I left my windows wide-open last night, and now I'm paying the price: both my hands are covered in mosquito and horsefly bites...it's even worse than falling into a bed of stinging nettles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I left my windows wide-open last night, and now I'm paying the price: both my hands are covered in mosquito and horsefly bites...it's even worse than falling into a bed of stinging nettles!

I rename 2018 the year of the mosquito !! It has been terrible since the end of May here !