Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Message added by Paul

Please ensure you stick to the forum guidelines when using this thread, particularly when it comes to discussing weather preferences:

Weather Guilt-Tripping - Please don't suggest people are selfish for enjoying or even looking forward to a certain weather type. Everyone has different weather preferences, but since none of us can control the weather, no-one should be made to feel guilty or foolish for liking it.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/guidelines/

Posted
7 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

The end of September 1969 saw a mini-heatwave  but then was a sharp descent into cold and cloudy conditions at the beginning of October.

I think you must be thinking of the end of October 1969 into November, as October that year was exceptionally warm (13.0C CET), with a very warm spell at the end, followed by a cold November (5.4C CET).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Its not just the farmers who have suffered this summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45090941

In their own words "can't wait for Autumn to come"!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its not just the farmers who have suffered this summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45090941

In their own words "can't wait for Autumn to come"!

High street retail is doomed, doesn't matter what the weather is like. 

And it's funny, because when retail sales rose in May and June it was put down to the hot weather - now it's the opposite. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

High street retail is doomed, doesn't matter what the weather is like. 

And it's funny, because when retail sales rose in May and June it was put down to the hot weather - now it's the opposite. 

No that was normal after the late end to Winter. Extremes of weather stop folk wandering around shopping,hot or cold extremes,makes no difference.

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

No that was normal after the late end to Winter. Extremes of weather stop folk wandering around shopping,hot or cold extremes,makes no difference.

I doubt the late end to winter had any impact on retail sales in June. Just a load of rubbish I'm afraid. High street retailers are going down the toilet. They will get the occasional bump every now and then but the long term trend is clear. 

Hot weather is irrelevant. July 2006 had strong retail growth, as did July 2013.

Edited by cheese

Posted
20 minutes ago, cheese said:

I doubt the late end to winter had any impact on retail sales in June. Just a load of rubbish I'm afraid. High street retailers are going down the toilet. They will get the occasional bump every now and then but the long term trend is clear. 

Hot weather is irrelevant. July 2006 had strong retail growth, as did July 2013.

It's not, we work with retailers large and small, and I can absolutely assure you that weather plays a huge part in terms of footfall, sales numbers and the type of goods which are sold. Some products / retailers are more weather sensitive than others, but it plays a part up and down the high street, and even online. 

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's not, we work with retailers large and small, and I can absolutely assure you that weather plays a huge part in terms of footfall, sales numbers and the type of goods which are sold. Some products / retailers are more weather sensitive than others, but it plays a part up and down the high street, and even online. 

So why would retail sales fall in July this year but increase in the July's of 2013 and 2006? You can't use hot weather as the reason this year but not the other years, unless we as a nation have become less heat tolerant over the past decade.

Another example would be July 2016, when the weather was average but retail sales slumped. I'm sure weather has some impact but I don't think it's quite as important as people are suggesting.

Edited by cheese

Posted
54 minutes ago, cheese said:

So why would retail sales fall in July this year but increase in the July's of 2013 and 2006? You can't use hot weather as the reason this year but not the other years, unless we as a nation have become less heat tolerant over the past decade.

Another example would be July 2016, when the weather was average but retail sales slumped. I'm sure weather has some impact but I don't think it's quite as important as people are suggesting.

Hot weather is a broad brush, many products have trigger temperatures, so 25c is good for sales of some items, but at 28c, footfall may drop etc. July was a good month for food retailers, but not many others, so again even if overall sales were down, there are a multitude of differences within those figures from store to store or sector to sector. 

Then of course there is the over-riding economic pattern to take into account, it's well talked about that retail (or at least high street retail) is struggling a tad at the moment, and the economy overall isn't exactly jumping through hoops. 2006 and 2013 were better years in that respect. 

Weather really does have an impact, there is no doubt about that, but there aren't a single set of rules. For fashion retailers for example, a hot end to spring or start to summer can be great in getting their summer lines moved. A hot end to summer won't have the same effect, and could in fact hurt sales of their Autumn lines. For some particular retailers, wet, cool weather is good for them, for others who perhaps rely on general footfall rather than a specific journey to them, it's not. And, it's about product specifics too - sales of particular items can change hugely with fairly subtle differences in temperature and humidity (the feels like value can often have a larger effect than the value on the thermometer), there are masses of variables, but virtually every retailer is using weather data for sales forecasting and/or sales analysis, and they wouldn't be spending time or money on it if it had no use. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The last of the hot days, for now at least. 

Currently 29c in London with clear blue skies. 

EDIT: 30c not 29c.

Edited by danm

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices

Summers in order with the best at the top 

1976 301
1995 298
2018 292 (up to 6th August)
1983 278
1955 277
1911 274
1984 271
1959 269
1975 268
1949 267
1989 262
1947 255
1933 251
1901 249
1921 249
2003 247
2013 247
1925 246
2006 246
1996 245
1935 243 
1994 240

2018 240 <-------if rest of August records zero sunshine, rain everyday and mean maximum of 15C

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I work in electrical and can confirm that hot, sunny weather decreases footfall. The working theory being that people will sit out with a sandwich in the nearest space for example.

Cold does not have a substantial impact during daytime unless it snows but it can impact evening trade.

Posted

What a awful day,hot,sticky no breeze,vile. Its like mother nature is just torturing us before bringing in that lovely fresh comfortable blanket of cooler air tomorrow,can't wait. It will be heaven by Thurs/Friday!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
47 minutes ago, markyo said:

What a awful day,hot,sticky no breeze,vile. Its like mother nature is just torturing us before bringing in that lovely fresh comfortable blanket of cooler air tomorrow,can't wait. It will be heaven by Thurs/Friday!

take it you have no allergy problems with cooler air and rain?

Posted

GFS shows around 6-7mm here by Friday next week. Even if it's cooler, it looks like very little rain will fall. Not that I'm complaining. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

GFS shows around 6-7mm here by Friday next week. Even if it's cooler, it looks like very little rain will fall. Not that I'm complaining. 

watching Thursday at the moment, potential shocker, shown on bbc and GFS

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

watching Thursday at the moment, potential shocker, shown on bbc and GFS

Thursday this week? Looks like it could be wet in the SE but not anywhere else.

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Thursday this week? Looks like it could be wet in the SE but not anywhere else.

yes this Thurs

Posted

Anyway, 27C was the max today, very nice. I had the day off so I got the grass and hedges cut, and did an assortment of other garden chores (i.e pulling out those horrid nettles that stung my leg today). Then went for a bike ride to Temple Newsam, and treated myself to a Mr Whippy (best ice cream in the world).

Always nice to work on my tan too. Hopefully not the last of such days.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

take it you have no allergy problems with cooler air and rain?

None,allergy free since birth I can't describe how much i'm looking forward to feeling alive again,this summer has been the toughest since 2003 for me,the next few days are going to be bliss,can't wait. At last i can get some outdoor work done at home!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Havn`t seen it this brown since 1976 come on rain,not much coming for awhile a few showers maybe a heavy one if we`re lucky tomorrow that's all this week now.

Getting much much cooler by Thursday but it looks dry.

Rain delayed after that.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Everything back to bog around here ,not surprising as cumbria is a giant toilet inhibited  by inbred   sheep sh###ers

Not ewe though.